México sues gun manufacturers over gun trafficking (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SystemShock

Uh yu ka t'ann
    Reaction score

Read it this morning on my hometown newspaper; the link above I just picked at random. Defendants include S&W, Barrett, Colt, Glock, Ruger, Century...

According to the SRE ( the Mexican Dept. of State) , every year, over half a million firearms enter MX illegally from the U.S., and are traced to an average of 17,000 murders. The lawsuit even claims manufacturers are catering to narcos, based on model development and marketing.

Surely the CJNG did not get any of those at the SEDENA store.

cjng.jpg

Not really sure where to ask this type of question, but its relative to the post so here goes. What authority do foreign countries have when suing a company that is not based in their country? Many countries (not specifically saying Mexico) have pretty much jokes of a judicial system and often come up with some pretty wild situations in their courts. So, for example, lets say Mexico's system decides it wants to sue these gun companies for billions, could the companies in theory just say no when it comes to paying them? I'm sure the country could just say ok you can't do business here anymore. But based on the financial penalty, it might not be a big deal to the company in the long run? And, if that is the case, could these companies basically just laugh at certain countries when they try to "take them to court"?

Note: I didn't read the article (yet) so the topic mostly sparked the question, versus what's in the article.

Many countries (not specifically saying Mexico) have pretty much jokes of a judicial system and often come up with some pretty wild situations in their courts.
    Oh, no. I can confirm :hihi:

But to answer your question, it depends on trade agreements, whether a corp. does business in said country... The brands mentioned in the law suit, they all do legal business in MX.

Maybe Mexico should take care of its border.

They should... and probably MX should tell the U.S. the same thing when it comes to drug trafficking and illegal immigration, but there is MX, fighting a war on drugs that's not theirs, and holding thousands of non-Mexicans on the MX side of the border, even taking deportees from other countries.

I am still trying to gauge what the true purpose of the lawsuit is, beyond political circus in MX.
    Well considering it is filed in the good old us of a and they are going after illegally imported weapons to Mexico I don't see it as a joke.

I don't see it as a thing for political gain.

So if they can connect the dots the 500 thousand illegal guns it should work.

You know just like we connect the dots on stuff smuggled the other way.

The difference is corporations are the bad guys here and just as important part of the drug smuggling problem as the actual drugs.

They should... and probably MX should tell the U.S. the same thing when it comes to drug trafficking and illegal immigration, but there is MX, fighting a war on drugs that's not theirs, and holding thousands of non-Mexicans on the MX side of the border, even taking deportees from other countries.
    Cool...wonder if this ever it got paid?

Hugo Juarez, a consul official at the Mexican Consulate in Dallas, was visibly perturbed.

Mr. Juarez also was curious about how hospital officials would know where to send the bill.

“How do they know who is Mexican?” he said. “Nobody asks for your nationality nor immigration status when you go to the hospital.”

Well isn't that nice of them.

Indeed. Maybe if Mexico wins against gun manufacturers it can be used to pay that bill.
    Well maybe we could just bill the contractors and the people that pay the contractors that play the game that is the reason they are even here.

Injured labor is who is not paying the bill.

Yet it is Mexico's fault Americans don't want to pay a living wage. It is Mexico's fault that American contractors can't make money without playing that game? Is it Mexico's fault American customers can't afford to pay companies that don't do that?

Rather than play the blame game look at the real problems.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom