Louisiana under Landry... (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

nolaspe

Reaction score
    Welp...

Here is some bonus stuff from scotus...

oh look, republicans gutting public schools in favor of private

School choice can be a good thing if the schools are all on the same playing field. If the private schools don't have the same requirements, such as admission requirements, then it would only be fair to assure that the public schools are funded for their additional mandates. To that end, public schools should have an overhead level of funding to cover their mandates. I like the idea of schools competing to retain and attract kids, but I have a concern that they may pander too much, and that the market won't work well. The idea of a marketplace of schools can only be effective if there is plenty of information with which to measure their effectiveness.

School choice can be a good thing if the schools are all on the same playing field. If the private schools don't have the same requirements, such as admission requirements, then it would only be fair to assure that the public schools are funded for their additional mandates. To that end, public schools should have an overhead level of funding to cover their mandates. I like the idea of schools competing to retain and attract kids, but I have a concern that they may pander too much, and that the market won't work well. The idea of a marketplace of schools can only be effective if there is plenty of information with which to measure their effectiveness.
    The situation you are describing doesn’t exist anywhere that I am aware of. Most states that are doing this exempt private schools from accepting any children with disabilities, which means the public schools will pick up that slack and the extra costs they incur. Private schools generally are not held to the same standards in regard to faculty, either number or qualifications. Sometimes they are not required to report standard test scores, but in some places where they do, the students haven’t been faring very well.

It’s basically a method to take money away from inner city and rural areas and give it to parents who would have their kids in private schools even without the subsidy. In some cases, private schools have immediately raised tuition once their patrons start receiving the subsidies, so it’s just a transfer of money directly from public schools to private schools. In some areas the state gives more money to the parents of private school students than it gives to public schools on a per capita basis.

Public schools in some states (MO, for one) are moving to 4 day weeks because of their funding being cut. This is a complete scam. I definitely do not want any of my tax dollars going to any religious schools. They are forcing me to support religious schools. It should be unconstitutional.

The situation you are describing doesn’t exist anywhere that I am aware of. Most states that are doing this exempt private schools from accepting any children with disabilities, which means the public schools will pick up that slack and the extra costs they incur. Private schools generally are not held to the same standards in regard to faculty, either number or qualifications. Sometimes they are not required to report standard test scores, but in some places where they do, the students haven’t been faring very well.

It’s basically a method to take money away from inner city and rural areas and give it to parents who would have their kids in private schools even without the subsidy. In some cases, private schools have immediately raised tuition once their patrons start receiving the subsidies, so it’s just a transfer of money directly from public schools to private schools. In some areas the state gives more money to the parents of private school students than it gives to public schools on a per capita basis.

Public schools in some states (MO, for one) are moving to 4 day weeks because of their funding being cut. This is a complete scam. I definitely do not want any of my tax dollars going to any religious schools. They are forcing me to support religious schools. It should be unconstitutional.
    I agree that it isn’t done the way I described it, but some progressive places could do it. Generally school choice is usually a farce.

To be fair, all should have to follow the same rules. Also, spending per student should be tracked and kept on par. If a private school spends more on their students than the average public school, then I would cut the subsidy for the students and send the extra back to the public school. I would also only provide subsidies on a progressive scale. Students from the poorest families would get the largest subsidies.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom