Let's discuss the failure of Republican leadership (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Bayouboy

Reaction score
    So, we all know the story of the 2020 election and everything that followed. I would like to talk about how Republican leadership in the House and Senate failed the Party and Amercian people in the aftermath of the election.

Shortly after Biden was announced President-elect, Trump came out and cried foul and spoke of a stolen election. To be fair to Republican leaders, no one knew how credible these claims were. So, I understand, most, if not all Republican leaders, would stand by President Trump shortly after the election. Where I see a problem, is the vast majority STILL stand by him and many members of the House and Senate still support the claim that the election was stolen - even after no proof was put forward by the Trump team.

Maybe I'm late to the game, but after watching the Frontline documentary "Democracy on trial" and reading Liz Cheney's book "Oath and Honor", I now know everyone in Trump's orbit, including AG Barr, acting AG, Sloan, and acting deputy AG Donoghue all told Trump he lost the election. Even people from his campaign, including his daughter, told him he lost. Only Rudy Giuliani and his cast of characters kept the "steal" alive. So with that said, Republican leadership in both halls of Congress had to know there were no legitimacy to Trump's claims. Even the courts backed up what his own staff already knew.....losing 61 of 62 challenges (and the one victory did not have anything to do with fraud).

With that backdrop, explain how Republican leadership can still wrap their arms around a man spitting out lies? I understand he is widely loved and admired by a huge number of his base, but how can you hitch your cart to a lie? These guys have to know without any proof or substance that these lies can't hold up over time. On top of it all, it's VERY DANGEROUS to our democracy as a whole. And now, 3 years later, Donald J Trump is set to be the Republican nominee!!!! It blows my mind!

Now, had Trump followed regular protocol, conceded the election.....and January 6th didn't happen, I can understand him making a run at 2024 and still having support from Republican leadership. In fact, had January 6th not happened, I think he would be substantially higher in the polls today. Could very well be a heavy favorite to beat Biden. Hell, it's basically even now.....despite what happened!!! Amazing times.....and I don't mean that in a good way.

So, we all know the story of the 2020 election and everything that followed. I would like to talk about how Republican leadership in the House and Senate failed the Party and Amercian people in the aftermath of the election.

Shortly after Biden was announced President-elect, Trump came out and cried foul and spoke of a stolen election. To be fair to Republican leaders, no one knew how credible these claims were. So, I understand, most, if not all Republican leaders, would stand by President Trump shortly after the election. Where I see a problem, is the vast majority STILL stand by him and many members of the House and Senate still support the claim that the election was stolen - even after no proof was put forward by the Trump team.

Maybe I'm late to the game, but after watching the Frontline documentary "Democracy on trial" and reading Liz Cheney's book "Oath and Honor", I now know everyone in Trump's orbit, including AG Barr, acting AG, Sloan, and acting deputy AG Donoghue all told Trump he lost the election. Even people from his campaign, including his daughter, told him he lost. Only Rudy Giuliani and his cast of characters kept the "steal" alive. So with that said, Republican leadership in both halls of Congress had to know there were no legitimacy to Trump's claims. Even the courts backed up what his own staff already knew.....losing 61 of 62 challenges (and the one victory did not have anything to do with fraud).

With that backdrop, explain how Republican leadership can still wrap their arms around a man spitting out lies? I understand he is widely loved and admired by a huge number of his base, but how can you hitch your cart to a lie? These guys have to know without any proof or substance that these lies can't hold up over time. On top of it all, it's VERY DANGEROUS to our democracy as a whole. And now, 3 years later, Donald J Trump is set to be the Republican nominee!!!! It blows my mind!

Now, had Trump followed regular protocol, conceded the election.....and January 6th didn't happen, I can understand him making a run at 2024 and still having support from Republican leadership. In fact, had January 6th not happened, I think he would be substantially higher in the polls today. Could very well be a heavy favorite to beat Biden. Hell, it's basically even now.....despite what happened!!! Amazing times.....and I don't mean that in a good way.

I think the Republican party makes sense if you consider it as having fallen in 2016. It exist only in name, a carryover. It's really a authoritarian, cult of personality organization you see in the CCP, PRK, Stalin's Russia, etc. They were never going to go against Trump. They will change opinions on topics if dear leader says so. Trump's tweet's are the American version of Xi's thought book. Republicans also excised everyone that put up a modicum of opposition to Trump when he lost in 2020. Everything about the current Republican party makes sense if you view it as the American version of the CCP.

In early 2020, when Trump decided there would be no GOP party platform and everyone in the GOP basically said “sure, that’s fine” I knew the GOP was dead. I agree with JDONK, the name stayed the same, but it’s not the same party.

Imagine a political party that basically says - we have no beliefs, no code, no ideology. Whatever Trump says is what we believe. It’s insane. Truly insane.

There is no greater benefit to humanity that a philanthropic billionaire could perform than to buy Fox News and turn it into a legit news source. It's a cancer that keeps alive the very worst in politics and our national discourse. They've taken us to a place where a significant number of citizens are certifiably insane, they live and act according to an internal reality that bears no resemblance to the real world.

Is "Hillary Clinton runs a child sex-trafficking ring out of a pizza parlor basement" any more crazy than "Satan WalMart has replaced my family with evil clones."

There is no greater benefit to humanity that a philanthropic billionaire could perform than to buy Fox News and turn it into a legit news source. It's a cancer that keeps alive the very worst in politics and our national discourse. They've taken us to a place where a significant number of citizens are certifiably insane, they live and act according to an internal reality that bears no resemblance to the real world.

Is "Hillary Clinton runs a child sex-trafficking ring out of a pizza parlor basement" any more crazy than "Satan WalMart has replaced my family with evil clones."
    Exactly. The Tea Party, Trump and MAGA are nothing without FOX acting as their unabashed mouth piece. When Trump is no longer walking the earth, FOX will still be here propping up the new chosen faces of fascism.

But even FOX needs a lot of help. Want to know why FOX is as effective as it is, look at the trend in education policies starting in the mid 1960's for a significant contributing factor.

I think it all comes down to the fact that they are terrified of Trump's MAGA base

They know they should have voted for impeachment after Jan 6th but they didn't want to be the ones to take Trump from them

And after seeing what happened to those who did vote for impeachment they probably felt that they made the right call

I think it was the cowardly call and they were putting it on the public

I believe what they thought was supposed to happen was the GOP voters and MAGA was supposed to be done with Trump

After losing the White House, there being no red wave, Jan 6th, 91 felony charges and the simple fact the losing candidate kind of just goes away. I don't think that a losing candidate has ever held any real sway or power with the party afterwards before.

Add everything else on top of that and they thought people's fascination with Trump, whatever spell he help over them would dissipate

And I think they thought it was win/win.

Trump goes away organically, and they don't have to cross him or hold him accountable in away and they can move on while staying in the base's good graces

I honestly believe that the GOP is stunned that didn't happen and then it all circles back to them being terrified of the MAGA crowd

Last edited:
    Exactly. The Tea Party, Trump and MAGA are nothing without FOX acting as their unabashed mouth piece. When Trump is no longer walking the earth, FOX will still be here propping up the new chosen faces of fascism.

But even FOX needs a lot of help. Want to know why FOX is as effective as it is, look at the trend in education policies starting in the mid 1960's for a significant contributing factor.

Glad you mentioned TEA party. Back in 2012-ish, it was a very small group of loonies. Nobody took them seriously, they were outraged about incandescent lightbulbs being outlawed and other odd-ball things. Everyone thought they would go away eventually. Then trump happened, and somehow that small group infected (almost) the whole party, and mutated into something even worse (MAGA). Those few (R) that tried to go against them either retired, got voted out for (you guessed it, MAGA people). Crazy how this all transpired

Also, I wonder how much of this was a pushback because Obama got elected? I think some (R) could not stand that a non-white person became president. And Trump started saying (loudly/boldly) the stuff they were thinking internally

Glad you mentioned TEA party. Back in 2012-ish, it was a very small group of loonies. Nobody took them seriously, they were outraged about incandescent lightbulbs being outlawed and other odd-ball things. Everyone thought they would go away eventually. Then trump happened, and somehow that small group infected (almost) the whole party, and mutated into something even worse (MAGA). Those few (R) that tried to go against them either retired, got voted out for (you guessed it, MAGA people). Crazy how this all transpired

Also, I wonder how much of this was a pushback because Obama got elected? I think some (R) could not stand that a non-white person became president. And Trump started saying (loudly/boldly) the stuff they were thinking internally

Also wasn't supposed to happen

Was supposed to channel all that hate and rage into voting for republicans in the general election NOT for nominating and voting for tea party candidates in the primaries

to your second point, a great deal.

I remember an article saying that enrollment in KKK and other such groups and militias tripled in the months following Obama's election

And it wasn't just Rs, we had members on PDB say that their own parents who voted straight D their whole lives refused to vote for Obama, stunning and saddening them (the SR members) and probably the parents themselves.

I'm sure prior to 2008 some would have sworn on a bible "Yes sir, I absolutely would vote for a black man as president" and genuinely believe that they were telling the truth

Has to be a sobering moment to realize that you are more racist than you admitted or even realized.

I think Obama winning forced an issue that was probably another 10 to 20 years away. A black president winning in 2008 made them terrified they were going to lose their minority rule a lot early than they thought, so they shifited into panic mode with their plans. They've been in hail mary mode since Obama won in attemmpting to turn us into a fascist, white bastageized-christian nation.

I think it all comes down to the fact that they are terrified of Trump's MAGA base

They know they should have voted for impeachment after Jan 6th but they didn't want to be the ones to take Trump from them

And after seeing what happened to those who did vote for impeachment they probably felt that they made the right call

I think it was the cowardly call and they were putting it on the public

I believe what they thought was supposed to happen was the GOP voters and MAGA was supposed to be done with Trump

After losing the White House, there being no red wave, Jan 6th, 91 felony charges and the simple fact the losing candidate kind of just goes away. I don't think that a losing candidate has ever held any real sway or power with the party afterwards before.

Add everything else on top of that and they thought people's fascination with Trump, whatever spell he help over them would dissipate

And I think they thought it was win/win.

Trump goes away organically, and they don't have to cross him or hold him accountable in away and they can move on while staying in the base's good graces

I honestly believe that the GOP is stunned that didn't happen and then it all circles back to them being terrified of the MAGA crowd

If they had not done an about face after Jan 6th I would agree with you.

But they did that about face within days of Jan 6th.

The republicans changing their tune on Jan6th after talking with trump shows that they didn't want trump to go away.

If they had not done an about face after Jan 6th I would agree with you.

But they did that about face within days of Jan 6th.

The republicans changing their tune on Jan6th after talking with trump shows that they didn't want trump to go away.

I still think that was part of the show

"they" still support Trump, but the public moves on

When he announced he was running again if he was polling in 6th place and MAGA clearly had moved on how many GOP would be championing for him?

"What about Trump?"

"Don't forget Trump"

"Trump should be the pick"

i think they'd breathe a sigh of relief and move on to whoever they think should pick up the mantle

We should probably use this thread for failures of Rs now, the other thread was way too long, lol.

That said, when will they ever learn that although Donnie demands complete and absolute loyalty, he will stab any of them in the back the first chance he gets?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom