Larry Hogan (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Good article on Maryland Governor Larry Hogan

Republican in a mostly blue state and vocal Trump critic who has definite 2024 ambitions
    =============================
    Former Maryland governor Larry Hogan flirted with running for president years before his term ended, openly weighing whether trying to persuade Republican primary voters to nominate an unabashed Donald Trump critic would be political suicide.

As he left office Wednesday, it remained an open question whether the skills that catapulted Hogan to unusual popularity as the Republican governor of a Democratic state could be sold to a fractured GOP.

Any presidential bid would be built on his tenure in Maryland, where he forged rapport with the electorate through his handling of crises and a skilled public relations operation, deploying populist policies such as cutting tolls and putting air conditioning in schools.

Pragmatism drove him to embrace issues many other Republicans did not — early and widespread mask mandates, new taxes on insurance companies to keep down the cost of Affordable Care Act policies, gun-control laws and a ban on conversion therapy for gay teens, all while staring down cancer and clashing with his own party as a leading voice during the pandemic.

He delivered tax relief for retirees in his final year in office and presided as federal pandemic aid bloated the state’s balance sheets with multibillion-dollar surpluses.

Hogan used that popularity as a weapon and a shield.

It insulated him from the fringes of his party, allowing him to largely sidestep culture-war issues that marked the GOP, instead appealing to the ideological middle. He both cajoled Democrats to his side and shrugged it off when he alienated others, particularly those in Baltimore.

Former state comptroller Peter Franchot (D), who built a friendship with Hogan, described the governor as an executive who “put the interests of Marylanders over his own party’s interests.”

Hogan’s strategy also elevated his own interests, raising his national profile as an early and sharp anti-Trump voice willing to criticize the party’s embrace of the former president’s rhetoric. Hogan’s approach politically benefited him, but it did not build up the Republican Party in Maryland.

But he nonetheless opened a narrow lane in the national conversation about a future direction for the GOP, one that appeals to conservative Democrats and independents.

At times, he contradicted himself as he followed public opinion — criticizing the removal of Confederate monuments as “political correctness run amok” but later organizing the overnight eradication of the most prominent one on State House grounds.

Hogan said he has no regrets about his tenure, including a widely derided decision to cancel the $2.9 billion Red Line light rail — a critical transit project for economically challenged Baltimore that he denigrated as a “wasteful boondoggle.”

“It wasn’t going to accomplish anything,” he said in an interview. “This is one of those things where progressive politicians and the Democratic Party in Baltimore continue to harp on this, and they think somehow it was a mistake. But I don’t think it was.”

When the governor stumbled —for instance, spending nearly $9.5 million on coronavirus tests from South Korea that never worked, or having his signature transportation achievement, the Purple Line, 4.5 years behind schedule and $1.46 billion over budget — his job approval ratings did not falter much……..

He is a decent man, I think he is trustworthy and fit to be a leader, yes, even president.

That said I don't agree with all of his policy positions.....but, they are at least sane.

He would be, by far, the best candidate the R's could possibly run if they really cared about the country, but sadly I don't see him winning the nomination among all the crazies in that lark of a party right now.....

He is probably the last R I will ever vote for (I voted for him as G his last term)....

He has absolutely no shot at winning the nomination in 2024 but if we lived in a world in which he could become the nominee I think I'd strongly consider voting for him. A trump critic who's not into the culture wars? Tell me more..

I didn't vote for him, but I was perfectly fine with him as Governor

I agree he has zero shot at the nomination, but may get some strong consideration as a running mate taking advantages of his strengths, he is reasonable, moderate and gets support from Democrats and independents

And I've said this before, I probably wouldn't vote for him for president, but I'd think about it longer and harder than i would for pretty much any other Republican. And if he won, I'd be okay with him winning

That said, he was a republican governor in a democratic state, that brings with it some concessions. Would Joe Manchin be the way he is if he was in a solidly blue state? Maybe, maybe not

Last edited:
    He has absolutely no shot at winning the nomination in 2024 but if we lived in a world in which he could become the nominee I think I'd strongly consider voting for him. A trump critic who's not into the culture wars? Tell me more..
    Well that didn't last. Guy is a coward like nearly all the rest, apparently:

Former Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan, a moderate Republican who has long been a critic of former President Trump, said he would support Trump if he is the GOP nominee for president in 2024.

Hogan, who is mulling a White House bid of his own, has said he does not think Trump will be the party’s nominee in 2024. But in an interview with conservative radio talk show host Hugh Hewitt on Thursday, Hogan reluctantly conceded that he would support whomever the GOP’s choice for president is in 2024.

Well that didn't last. Guy is a coward like nearly all the rest, apparently:

The only thing Trump loves more than people who’ve been all in since day one, are the people who come crawling back

Last edited:
    Hogan later walked back the comments on Twitter, saying he would not commit to supporting Trump if he were the nominee. Instead, he said he would support the nominee, who he doesn’t think will be Trump.

“To be clear, my position on Trump hasn’t changed. Trump won’t commit to supporting the Republican nominee, and I won’t commit to supporting him,” Hogan said on Twitter.

A member of Hogan’s team told The Hill earlier that Hogan’s position on Trump, who he has not supported in the past, has not changed and his promise to support the nominee is contingent on him believing it won’t be Trump.

From that Hill article which I'm pretty sure has been updated since I first posted it.

It's still weak as shirt though as his stated reasoning there is "Trump won't commit to supporting the Republican nominee" therefore Hogan won't commit to supporting Trump either.. instead of Hogan having the balls to say "Trump is dangerous, doesn't align with my view of the Republican party, and is unfit to again run this country."

The primary system means that a moderate Republican won't be getting the nomination anytime soon.

The Republican electorate cares about Drag Queens and CRT.

Two things that have no impact on their lives.

The danger of splitting anti-Trump Republicans and helping the former president win the nomination again “would be a pretty good reason to consider not running” for the White House in 2024, the former Maryland governor Larry Hogan said.

“I don’t care that much about my future in the Republican party,” Hogan told NBC’s Meet the Press on Sunday. “I care about making sure we have a future for the Republican party.

“And if we can stop Donald Trump and elect a great Republican common-sense conservative leader, that certainly would be a factor.”

A relative moderate in a GOP marched far right, Hogan has long been thought likely to run. He told NBC he would decide whether to do so, as “a small government common-sense conservative”, in a “relatively short period of time”, most likely this spring.

Trump and the former South Carolina governor Nikki Haley are the only two declared candidates so far. Polling has shown Haley splitting a non-Trump vote dominated by Ron DeSantis, the governor of Florida, and thereby handing Trump the win.

Trump did not win a majority of voters in 2016, when he first captured the nomination. Hogan barely registers in polling regarding 2024…….

officially not running
    =================
    Former Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan will not seek the GOP presidential nomination in 2024, he said Sunday.

“I did give it serious consideration, and I talked to people everywhere, and I talked to my family and it was a tough decision, but I’ve decided that I will not be a candidate for the Republican nomination for president,” Hogan told CBS’ Robert Costa during an interview on “Face the Nation.”

Hogan’s decision to forgo a bid was a personal one, he told Costa.

“It was like, I didn’t need that job. I didn’t need to run for another office. It was really I was considering it because I thought it was public service and maybe I can make a difference,” Hogan said.

Though he acknowledged challenging former President Donald Trump would be an uphill battle in a GOP primary, “that didn’t really scare me,” Hogan said.

“It would be a tough race. And he’s very tough. But, you know, I beat life-threatening cancer. So having Trump call me names on Twitter didn’t really scare me off.”

The moderate Republican, who has criticized Trump and members of his own party for claiming the 2020 election was stolen, noted that a “pile up” of candidates would make it more difficult for any one person to gain significant support.

“Right now, you have — you know, Trump and [Ron] DeSantis at the top of the field, they’re soaking up all the oxygen, getting all the attention, and then a whole lot of the rest of us in single digits and the more of them you have, the less chance you have for somebody rising up,” Hogan said............

officially not running
    =================
    Former Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan will not seek the GOP presidential nomination in 2024, he said Sunday.

“I did give it serious consideration, and I talked to people everywhere, and I talked to my family and it was a tough decision, but I’ve decided that I will not be a candidate for the Republican nomination for president,” Hogan told CBS’ Robert Costa during an interview on “Face the Nation.”

Hogan’s decision to forgo a bid was a personal one, he told Costa.

“It was like, I didn’t need that job. I didn’t need to run for another office. It was really I was considering it because I thought it was public service and maybe I can make a difference,” Hogan said.

Though he acknowledged challenging former President Donald Trump would be an uphill battle in a GOP primary, “that didn’t really scare me,” Hogan said.

“It would be a tough race. And he’s very tough. But, you know, I beat life-threatening cancer. So having Trump call me names on Twitter didn’t really scare me off.”

The moderate Republican, who has criticized Trump and members of his own party for claiming the 2020 election was stolen, noted that a “pile up” of candidates would make it more difficult for any one person to gain significant support.

“Right now, you have — you know, Trump and [Ron] DeSantis at the top of the field, they’re soaking up all the oxygen, getting all the attention, and then a whole lot of the rest of us in single digits and the more of them you have, the less chance you have for somebody rising up,” Hogan said............

My opinion of Hogan changed when he said he would support whomever won the "R" nomination, he isn't a moderate, he's just another politician that will sell out his ideals for power.....

Larry Hogan, the former Republican governor of Maryland, has ruled out a run for his party’s presidential nomination in 2024 – but not ruled out running as a third-party candidate in an attempt to stop Donald Trump’s return to the White House.

Hogan told ABC: “I haven’t ruled that out. But it’s not something I’m really working toward or thinking about” even though “the question keeps popping up more and more”.

Hogan flirted with a run for the Republican nomination as a moderate but pulled back last Sunday, saying: “To once again be a successful governing party, we must move on from Trump…….

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Larry Hogan, the former governor of Maryland and a moderate Republican who has been critical of Donald Trump, stepped down last month from the leadership of the third-party movement No Labels, a move that could signal his preparations to run for president using the group's ballot line.

Hogan did not address his own future in a letter to No Labels President and CEO Nancy Jacobson announcing his resignation as co-chair, but he offered no criticism of the group, its plans or leadership. He declined to comment and pointed to the letter, which was dated Dec. 15 and obtained by The Associated Press on Thursday.

No Labels is seeking ballot access across the country as it lays the groundwork for a possible presidential ticket. The plans have spooked many Democrats and other Trump critics who fear it would siphon votes that would otherwise go to Democratic President Joe Biden and facilitate Trump's return to the White House.

“In stepping aside, it is my intent that new leaders, who can devote themselves full-time to the effort, will be able to take the helm to direct the No Labels political operation,” Hogan wrote.

Separately, an elections official in Maryland said Wednesday that No Labels had obtained enough verified signatures to get on the ballot in Hogan's home state.

No Labels leaders plan to decide this spring whether to nominate a presidential ticket, and if so, to pick nominees. Details about that process have been murky, however, and the group has repeatedly failed to meet its own goals for announcing plans. It cancelled its convention scheduled for April in Dallas in favor of a virtual meeting...........

Larry Hogan, the former Republican governor of the heavily blue state of Maryland, has announced he is running for the US Senate, saying that he’ll “stand up to both parties” if elected.

“I am running for the United States Senate – not to serve one party – but to stand up to both parties, fight for Maryland, and fix our nation’s broken politics,” Mr Hogan wrote on X as he shared his intention to run.

“It’s what I did as Maryland’s governor, and it’s exactly how I’ll serve Maryland in the Senate. Let’s get back to work.”

The popular former governor shared a video, where he announced: “We desperately need leaders willing to stand up to both parties — leaders that appreciate that no one of us has all the answers or all the power, because this is not just about the differences between the right and the left.…….

Last edited:
    Larry Hogan, the former Republican governor of the heavily blue state of Maryland, has announced he is running for the US Senate, saying that he’ll “stand up to both parties” if elected.

“I am running for the United States Senate – not to serve one party – but to stand up to both parties, fight for Maryland, and fix our nation’s broken politics,” Mr Hogan wrote on X as he shared his intention to run.

“It’s what I did as Maryland’s governor, and it’s exactly how I’ll serve Maryland in the Senate. Let’s get back to work.”

The popular former governor shared a video, where he announced: “We desperately need leaders willing to stand up to both parties — leaders that appreciate that no one of us has all the answers or all the power, because this is not just about the differences between the right and the left.…….

I lost all respect for Hogan when he said if Trump were the R nominee in 2024 that he would vote for him.....F Hogan.....

Is he running as a Republican? If so, his words are hollow.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom