K. Harris vs Ocasio-Cortez on immigration and the forgotten middleman. (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SystemShock

Uh yu ka t'ann
    Reaction score
    So VP Harris is/was in Guatemala, and point blank told Guatemalans "do not make the trip" and "stay away from the U.S. border".
    Ocasio-Cortez immediately tweeted her disagreement on the subject, with the usual support from Reps Omar, Pressley and Tlaib; asylum advocacy groups also chimed in chastising VP Harris for her comments.

But other than Harris mentioning the "dangerous trip through", there was no consideration of that piece of land which happens to be in the way, México, and the problems C.A. and Caribbean migration creates in MX. It's not in the U.S. news anymore (I don't think), but there are still thousands of people at the border on the MX side squatting on parks and sidewalks creating all sorts of issues for the Mexican residents and local governments of towns along the border. Of course, part of the blame falls on AMLO's government for letting them in to begin with, but with all the problems MX has, the last thing MX needs is U.S. politicians directly or indirectly encouraging people to make the trek through MX.

#teamKamala

I have no problem with her being point blank. If "Joe's message was ambiguous" has been a complaint, this is how you squash it.

Yea, AOC should just keep quiet on this one and let the administration try to implement whatever they are trying to implement.

They are trying to streamline the asylum process to deal with who is already here and set up a refugee process in Guatemala to reduce the number taking the trip through Mexico.

Most of the people here won't be eligible for Asylum under our current rules though, so I am not sure what the plan is for the 90% who won't qualify for Asylum or TPS and will end up with removal orders eventually. I can't see us actually executing those removal orders. The cost of removing that many people would probably cost more than allowing them to stay considering the positive impact that illegal immigration has on economic growth and keeping our population younger.

If they ever pass comprehensive immigration reform, they will have some type of legalization process for people already here, but i think they know they will never get a bill unless they can stabilize the flow at the border long enough to get a bill through Congress.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57561760

The tented camp in the Fort Bliss military base in El Paso, Texas, is the temporary home for over 2,000 teenaged children who have crossed the US-Mexico border alone and are now awaiting reunification with family in the US.
    Findings from the BBC's investigation include allegations of sexual abuse, Covid and lice outbreaks, a child waiting hours for medical attention, a lack of clean clothes and hungry children being served undercooked meat.

I remember a few years ago when the US press was all over this, I wonder what changed? Maybe the administration?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57561760

The tented camp in the Fort Bliss military base in El Paso, Texas, is the temporary home for over 2,000 teenaged children who have crossed the US-Mexico border alone and are now awaiting reunification with family in the US.
    Findings from the BBC's investigation include allegations of sexual abuse, Covid and lice outbreaks, a child waiting hours for medical attention, a lack of clean clothes and hungry children being served undercooked meat.

I remember a few years ago when the US press was all over this, I wonder what changed? Maybe the administration?
    The press is still on it. I see stories every day about the conditions at the border.

Not intentionally separating children from their parents is what has changed from a few years ago though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom