Impeachment "success" - Where will Republicans go? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

JimEverett

Reaction score
    Assume that Trump is either heavily damaged by impeachment and resigns or is impeached and removed - where do you think the current incarnation of the Republican Party will actually go?

Pence is an obvious candidate, but I don't think Republicans find him all that attractive. He doesn't seem all that much of a "fighter" - as in someone who will stand-up to Democrats.

Lindsey Graham? He got back into conservative good graces during the Kavanaugh hearings - but still seems like a long-shot which by mentioning him shows how I am already out of ideas.

Ben Sasse?

Kid Rock?

Is the impeachment inquiry or investigation totally meritless, then?

I think you should pick your battles. I love playing poker. Many times when someone takes a bad beat (3 aces getting sucked out by an inside straight draw) the next hand they are on tilt. They bet without the discipline they normally do. They take risk that they normally don’t take.

I think after mueller delivered a big fat zero, the dems are on tilt. And I don’t think this gamble ends well for them at the ballot box in 2020.

Didn’t Mitch McConnell vow on Obama’s inauguration that the Republican Party would do everything within its power to make sure Obama was a one-term President? But it was considered something of an extreme statement at the time, IIRC. Previously, in my recollection, after an election both parties try to play nice for a while. To say it happened to Trump first is simply inaccurate.

I think the line that this is merely democrats trying to reverse the 2016 election conveniently ignores the real ethical and legal misdeeds of this administration.

It seems like deflection to me.

10 counts of obstruction, multiple convictions(including one that is the basis of the current Ukrainian saga), Trump and his inner circle unequivocally shown to welcome and solicit at every stop Russian interference in our elections(and possibly more had they not been obstructing) somehow = a big fat zero.

Not sure I follow the logic.

Last edited:
    I think after mueller delivered a big fat zero
    The only people who believe that are Trump Supporters. The Mueller report delivered damaging evidence against Trump. Ignoring it and calling it a witch hunt doesn't change those facts.

the dems are on tilt. And I don’t think this gamble ends well for them at the ballot box in 2020.
    And again, the only ones who believe this are Trump supporters. Not independents, definitely not liberals, and not even Republicans who are not just supporting Trump no matter what.

But you're right, we will see in 2020.

I think you should pick your battles. I love playing poker. Many times when someone takes a bad beat (3 aces getting sucked out by an inside straight draw) the next hand they are on tilt. They bet without the discipline they normally do. They take risk that they normally don’t take.

I think after mueller delivered a big fat zero, the dems are on tilt. And I don’t think this gamble ends well for them at the ballot box in 2020.

I definitely think they are on tilt, but they have also pushed all in, or at the very least they are pot committed.

There are a lot of desperate Democrats and some in the IC as well. The real investigations are just beginning and they have to stop Trump to protect their own hides.

Gonna be a wild ride.

I definitely think they are on tilt, but they have also pushed all in, or at the very least they are pot committed.

There are a lot of desperate Democrats and some in the IC as well. The real investigations are just beginning and they have to stop Trump to protect their own hides.

Gonna be a wild ride.
    What are your thoughts on Trump's(nonsense) assertions about spygate?

You know, the whole "they tapped my phones, used the Steele dossier to investigate me, unfair, Obama investigating me on behalf of Hilary is the real collusion, the real criminality?"

Is that a no or yes? Or yes but the Dems shouldn’t pursue it?

And I think “big fat zero” is too extreme a conclusion. America’s general aversion to literacy and short attention spans have more to do with this interpretation of the report than actuality. There’s a lot problematic in the report. And I’ve only read probably 2/3 of it.

Gonna be a wild ride.

Real investigations of? For? By?

And is this a yes or no to the legitimacy of an impeachment investigation?

Is that a no or yes? Or yes but the Dems shouldn’t pursue it?

And I think “big fat zero” is too extreme a conclusion. America’s general aversion to literacy and short attention spans have more to do with this interpretation of the report than actuality. There’s a lot problematic in the report. And I’ve only read probably 2/3 of it.
    [/QUOTE

I don’t think the only people who believe that have an aversion to literacy or have a short attention span. (Accurate to a part of the population for sure) The left thought they had the silver bullet with mueller. It was a failed mission. I understand there may be what you say is problematic, but the end result is a huge miss. Just like this impeachment.

Last edited:
    I think I answered your question. We have enjoyed peaceful transitions of the office for most of our history. This time, not so much with people declaring that they are part of a resistance.

Hell, we had about 70 Democratic members of Congress who boycotted the inauguration. How many of those do you think have pushed for impeachment at every opportunity? My guess is 100% of them. That doesn't look like a principled exercise of their Constitutional duties to me. That looks like people who just want to overturn an election by any means necessary.
    you don't remember the Tea Party or the Contract With America?

Stay away from the insults please. I don’t think I have an aversion to literacy and I don’t have a short attention span. The left thought they had the silver bullet with mueller. It was a failed mission. I understand there may be what you say is problematic, but the end result is a huge miss. Just like this impeachment.

I wasn’t talking about you re: literacy aversion and attention span. I was talking about the general talking points that circled the social media drain and got traction as if real. And that impression isn’t indicative of the real contents of the report. The “miss” is perception and, imo, reality is still catching up to it.

And this still doesn’t answer your belief of whether or not the calls for impeachment are valid and legitimate or not.

You call it a “miss” and I’m asking if that’s a miss because there is nothing there in the first place or if the miss is related to the political gambit.

If it’s the former, I’d like to see the rationale. If it’s the latter, then is it the right thing to do independent of politics or not?

And I also think whatever the short term benefit this might be for trump, I think reality eventually catches up here, too

I would never enter a battle in politics of this magnitude unless I could win. Is their some funny business going on, maybe. Do I think it is worth an impeachment hearing, no. This only divides the country even more.

You may be right, the mueller investigation and the impeachment may ultimately take down trump. I don’t see it happening and will only make him stronger.

It appears you want me to say something different.

I would never enter a battle in politics of this magnitude unless I could win. Is their some funny business going on, maybe. Do I think it is worth an impeachment hearing, no. This only divides the country even more.

It appears you want me to say something different.

No, I don’t want you to say something different. I didn’t see an answer. Here it seems you say that there is at least smoke if not fire regarding impeachment legitimacy but it’s not worth the political cost. I asked that specific question above and I didn’t see an answer there.

If I understand you correctly, now, I guess the only thing I am wondering is if you think impeachment should only ever be pursued if it is politically advantageous for the impeachers.

It’s not how I feel but I’m not looking for you to agree with me. I think impeachment, if legitimate, speaks directly to the integrity (or not) of the office and, therefore, the primary reason for calling for one.

No, I don’t want you to say something different. I didn’t see an answer. Here it seems you say that there is at least smoke if not fire regarding impeachment legitimacy but it’s not worth the political cost. I asked that specific question above and I didn’t see an answer there.

If I understand you correctly, now, I guess the only thing I am wondering is if you think impeachment should only ever be pursued if it is politically advantageous for the impeachers.

It’s not how I feel but I’m not looking for you to agree with me. I think impeachment, if legitimate, speaks directly to the integrity (or not) of the office and, therefore, the primary reason for calling for one.

You analyzed what I was saying correctly. I thought it was foolish to impeach Clinton ad well.

Real investigations of? For? By?

And is this a yes or no to the legitimacy of an impeachment investigation?

IG Horowitz's report will be out soon. And don't forget John Durham is doing work.

I don't know of any legitimate impeachment proceedings.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom