here ye here ye... I propose... (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe Okc

Better Days
    Reaction score
    That Moderators be Nominated and voted in from each of the Three existing groups. Liberal, Moderate and Conservative.
    Nominated, voted and selected by the members of that specific group. And if a Moderator leaves, dies or just gives up, only a Moderator voted in by that particular group can replace him.

That way the Moderation of this site should be balanced out and all parties are represented.

And as site membership grows... When a new Mod is added, there has to be one from each group added equally.

ssjoe

I have complete faith in the current team. They have been totally fair and upfront about what they want for this forum. To implement a rule as you suggest implies lack of trust which I think is insulting towards those who work hard to get this site up and running. Part of my regular daytime job is to run a site (game related - not sports or politics) and I can tell you it takes A LOT of hours EVERY day!

I propose that anyone actually wanting to be a moderator be disqualified from being a moderator. It is a thankless job that invites criticism and nobody should want to be a moderator without some ulterior motive. That said, thank you to our current moderators who do their best to keep things fair with discussion free-flowing.

Historically, from my perspective, Andrus has picked posters he felt were fair, reasonable, and made efforts to elevate the conversation. At least, mostly. Meaning, no one bats 1.000.

Using the old PDB as a narrow sliver of moderation and, value judgements of moderation is probably a bit unfair to the totality of the role and the mindset of the person. Politics is a special animal that brings out the worst in many.

That being said, I don't see any reason to effectively take away Andrus' authority as owner/webmaster of making his own choices in the matter. Popularity can quickly turn into targeted punishment.

I think the end result is that you want more conservative minded mods. That's fine. It brings more balance. I also think we have at least two, but I haven't seen either on in a while. One being Richard, who I hope is ok. I tend to worry about folks health more than if they just took a break.

I think there is a pretty nasty cold going around too, which likely isn't helping anyone. I know I've been sick and busy (my wife too), so I haven't been on SR much. And have barely posted in here. If I were moderating, I probably wouldn't have the energy to deal with it.

That Moderators be Nominated and voted in from each of the Three existing groups. Liberal, Moderate and Conservative.
    Nominated, voted and selected by the members of that specific group. And if a Moderator leaves, dies or just gives up, only a Moderator voted in by that particular group can replace him.

That way the Moderation of this site should be balanced out and all parties are represented.

And as site membership grows... When a new Mod is added, there has to be one from each group added equally.

ssjoe

That all sounds well and good, but the fact is there are no reasonable folks who could moderate this board at the intellectual and discussion level required who would or could defend the arguments many of our current "conservatives" try to make.

There simply aren't honest people who believe that Trump is a moral and reasonable president who is acting in the interest of the country. There are smart and reasonable people who will defend the semantics of the arguments or the faulty processes. They can throw fuel on the fire of debate pointing out the reprehensible nature of many of the Democrats leading their party. They could defend tax cuts and policy directives, but they can't defend the myriad list of harms committed by this president so my bet is you'll never see a vocal Trump supporter here as moderator.

Ronald Reagan would be appalled at what his party has become and he wasn't even a conservative by today's standards. I think our last true conservative president, George HW Bush, made it abundantly clear he thought of Trump as road trash. George Will is pretty outspoken and I'd bet someone like Buckeley would be shouting from the moon about the imperial nature of our current conundrum.

JMOAICBW

Last edited:
    I think this site represents a sizable investment by Andrus and I propose we let him run it as he sees fit. If someone doesn’t like the way this site is run or moderated they are free to start their own site or frequent other sites more to their liking.

Honestly my first thought was that it takes a lot of nerve to try to change how this site should be run when it’s not your site.

OP presumes that the goal of this board is(or should be) to maintain a balance between three vaguely agreed upon political constructs and not to foster the underlying inputs that help sustain and generate healthy discussions amongst those and any reasonably acceptable political vantage points. Which has time and again been the stated mission by people.

And If that concept is meant to be a way to best achieve that, perhaps arguing how would make sense? As on it’s face it doesn’t follow that artificially anchoring moderation to fitting three arbitrarily defined ideological baskets as opposed to simply appointing people based on their capacity to fill that core goal directly, is somehow a better strategy.

This is not a democracy.

The lady of the lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering sameite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by devine providence that Arthur Andrus should be King.

As confirmed by the fact that he hasn't got **** all over him. Autonomous collective my arse. We're posting in a dictatorship! Good thing, too - if you don't like it, leave.

TBH, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords sounds like a better basis for a system of government than what we've got now.

You’re always free to vote for and suggest Moderators. Andrus has shown he is very fair and open-minded and if your choice is a good one I’m certain he would consider it.

But just voting on random moderators to fit ideologies is a bad idea that sounds like you think the current mods are not doing their job correctly, which is wrong, IMO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom