Electoral Reform (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

samiam5211

Reaction score
    I think we can all agree that there are quite a few problems in our system. The influence of money and political parties are two where I think most people on both sides at least agree about the existence of a problem.

I hope that this thread ends up being a place where we discuss potential tweaks or comprehensive reform without partisan bickering. Neither side is less responsible than the other, so any bickering about who is at fault is a hypocrite’s game.

My suggestion:

We replace the current Presidential primary process for a “jungle primary” system similar to Louisiana’s.

We could (and should) still use the elongated timeline that we do now, and allocate delegates at a similar ratio as electoral votes. This would still give us two general election candidates by summer, and the rest of the process would be the same.

We could determine the order every four years by lottery with each state having equal chance. Iowa and New Hampshire use early primaries to get influence over the process despite their small size, but states like Louisiana and Mississippi always get left out.

If an incumbent president can’t get enough support to make a runoff, we shouldn’t be stuck with wasting one of our choices on them.

This would do a great deal towards reducing the influence of political parties. It will get rid of the purity tests. For example, the current system would exclude a candidate who is pro life, pro gun control, pro socialized health care, but didn’t think business owners should have to bake a cake for a wedding they feel is an abomination.

The parties have set up artificial lines that our views have to align with.

Last edited:
    I'm pretty sure that this is the one I had seen.

Attachments

• electoral map.png
      electoral map.png
      1.5 MB · Views: 148

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom