Disinformation Governance Board to tackle spread of misinformation in U.S., focusing on Russia and U.S.-Mexico border (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SaintForLife

Reaction score
    The Department of Homeland Security is setting up a Disinformation Governance Board to try to counter the spread of false information. The board will focus on disinformation coming from Russia as well as misleading messages about the U.S.-Mexico border, the Associated Press reports.

The immediate focus will be on misinformation from human smugglers, who spread false claims about U.S. border policy to migrants to help drum up business.

White House press secretary Jen Psaki said during a briefing Thursday that the board will tackle misinformation on a range of issues, and Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said part of its intention is to counter misinformation in Hispanic communities especially.

Disinformation expert Nina Jankowicz will lead the board. Jankowicz, who has researched Russian misinformation tactics and online harassment, is author of the book "How To Lose the Information War: Russia, Fake News, and the Future of Conflict." She has also advised the Ukrainian government on strategic communications, according to the Wilson Center think-tank, where she served as a global fellow.

I actually can't believe the Biden administration created this. This was obviously a horrible idea and it's a potential threat to free speech. Is this a response to Mush buying Twitter since they can't use Twitter as their censor anymore? Either way the government has no business telling us what's misinformation.

Probably not a lot? You have the First Amendment there. Given that, I'm not sure what they can realistically do beyond putting out official information, so if we're talking the current incarnation of the GOP, presumably they'd put out endless amounts of ludicrous claims and assert that anything they don't like is disinformation, or, to suggest an alternate phrase just off the top of my head, 'fake news'. The last GOP administration seemed to have that covered anyway.
    You are basically describing what the Democrats have done. They claimed the Hunter Biden story was Russian disinformation, the lab leak was a conspiracy theory and racist, & the CIA fabrication of the Russian bounties was true.

Who among us thinks the government should add to its work list the job of determining what is true and what is disinformation? And who thinks the government is capable of telling the truth? Our government produces lies and disinformation at industrial scale and always has. It overclassifies vital information to block its own citizens from becoming any the wiser. It pays thousands of press aides to play hide the salami with facts.

This is the government that lied about winning the war in Vietnam, that said the Watergate affair was a “third-rate burglary,” that fought a secret war in Nicaragua, that lied about a clandestine love affair in the White House, that used faulty intelligence to force a war in the Middle East. Even President Barack Obama shortchanged the truth. Of 600 Obama statements PolitiFact checked during his administration, a quarter of them fell into the “red zone” of being false, mostly false, or “pants on fire” false. Not so long ago, 50 intelligence officials — each of them smarter and better informed than any DHS brainiac — assured the nation that the Hunter Biden laptop story bore “all the classic earmarks of a Russian information operation.” How did that work out? The idea that Covid could have come from a Chinese lab was similarly dismissed as disinformation; now it’s considered a legitimate possibility by the Biden administration. Meanwhile, we have documented proof from the Washington Post that even Joe Biden can’t handle simple truths! (We don’t need to reassess the Donald Trump presidency here, do we?)

And you wonder why I don't usually respond to your childish posts
    Usually because you are incapable of coming up with objective answers like the last few posts in this thread -- you evade what you can't answer. I might disagree with Farb but at least he has an ethos and always engages in discussion. You post a lot of shallow positions and bail whenever someone comes up with a solid counter. But you do you. It's effective comic relief when the so-called 'libertarian' rolls in espousing his views of choice but ignoring other affronts to liberty. You are a caricature of the cranky North-shorer.

Usually because you are incapable of coming up with objective answers like the last few posts in this thread -- you evade what you can't answer. I might disagree with Farb but at least he has an ethos and always engages in discussion. You post a lot of shallow positions and bail whenever someone comes up with a solid counter. But you do you. It's effective comic relief when the so-called 'libertarian' rolls in espousing his views of choice but ignoring other affronts to liberty. You are a caricature of the cranky North-shorer.
    Oh please. I work 72 hours a week so I don't have time to be on here every day. I haven't seen a decent response from you to my posts in months your complaining about the quality of my posts is BS. And I don't care what you or any of my other critics here think about my posts. You guys talked about victim mentality when we used to have more than two right of center posters here and we complained about the posts here so stop crying.

Oh please. I work 72 hours a week so I don't have time to be on here every day. I haven't seen a decent response from you to my posts in months your complaining about the quality of my posts is BS. And I don't care what you or any of my other critics here think about my posts. You guys talked about victim mentality when we used to have more than two right of center posters here and we complained about the posts here.
    Have a pretty good one on the COVID thread now. You also never really responded about why it's somehow better for one man to control Twitter when you think an elite board of directors/officers is awful.

You can't be serious that anything from Taylor Lorenz is a good read. Are you familiar with her history of doxing people and then later claiming to be a victim of harassment when she is criticized?

I read the whole article - it talks about the whole roll out was badly done, people had misperceptions about what it was going to be doing and the administration failed to properly explain it. Seems pretty fair to me.

Did you read it? What about the article do you (not some twitter account) do you take issue with? I still don’t see why this reaction from the poputarians is that it’s dystopian and Orwellian, because the agency doesn’t have authority to do what the critics are saying this program would do.

I’m honestly surprised that it even got off the ground. Don’t smart people put out feelers before going full boar on something so polarizing?

I mean heck, even Dan Snyder put the WFT place holder out there before he went and changed the name of the R******s to the Titans…Guardians…Clogged Toilets…Speed Bumps…whatever their name is now.

Last edited:
    I read the whole article - it talks about the whole roll out was badly done, people had misperceptions about what it was going to be doing and the administration failed to properly explain it. Seems pretty fair to me.

Did you read it? What about the article do you (not some twitter account) do you take issue with? I still don’t see why this reaction from the poputarians is that it’s dystopian and Orwellian, because the agency doesn’t have authority to do what the critics are saying this program would do.

That's how they're fed: "here comes the airplane!!"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom