'Deadly consequences' of Los Angeles DA Gascon's 'soft-on-crime' approach felt after murder suspect released (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Echo

Reaction score
    I've always thought we as a nation are too soft on crime. I'm fully in favor of longer sentences for serious crimes. It's ridiculous how these criminals continue to go in and out of prison most of their lives. At some point you have to come to the realization that some people are not fit for society and should stay locked up.

Gowdy highlighted the case of Stefan Sutherland, an attempted murder suspect who was arrested by the Los Angeles Police Department in November 2020. Gascon's office recommended sending him to a mental health diversion program instead of prison for the alleged stabbing. Sutherland was arrested again in May 2023 in connection to the murder of his neighbor.

"Yet another murder committed by someone who should have been in prison, and George Gascon's reaction is to blame everyone but himself," Gowdy said.

Well, since we’re taking a single story about what appears to be poor management of a violent offender by the LA DA and positing that it means that the US is now soft on crime, it should be pointed out that US has the most people incarcerated and the highest rate of incarceration on Earth. And has for decades.

So if we’re already the world’s leading jailer of its citizens but we’re still somehow “too soft” on crime, doesn’t that suggest that there may not be a direct relationship between incarceration and the reduction of crime?

Doesn’t it also beg the question of why we have so many criminals in the US? What is it about our society that not only results in more inmates per capita than every other nation in the world , but that it’s still not enough in your view?

1686016362156.png

Last edited:
    @superchuck500 beat me to it... The idea that the US is "soft on crime" is ridiculous. For decades, just about every attorney general, mayor and so on has run on "tough on crime" messaging - Republican and Democrat, no one could be too tough on crime. I believe it was California that was one of the early adopters of 3 strikes and your out laws. As noted, the US has the highest incarceration rate in the world.

What you are seeing now in some places is a bit of an overreaction by some prosecutors to the poor application of the law in the past. It is leading to some poor results as well because apparently we are terrible at nuance, and we also don't have a holistic approach to social issues and crime.

If the only thing holding back chaos and lawlessness is the threat of violence by the government then we've already failed as a society. So, yes, there is still a need for a police and jails and punishment - that is part of the calculus... but the emphasis needs to be providing real avenues for success for everyone within the confines of the law. For too many, the perception of the ability to succeed is decreasing - that is what needs to be tackled.

I've always thought we as a nation are too soft on crime. I'm fully in favor of longer sentences for serious crimes. It's ridiculous how these criminals continue to go in and out of prison most of their lives. At some point you have to come to the realization that some people are not fit for society and should stay locked up.

Ah! The recycled scare tactic.

@Optimus Prime already did the work, so I'll just drop a link to that thread.

Who's soft on crime now?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom