Chappelle torched SNL (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

He was a bit harsh at times but I understand why, and I appreciate the honesty.

The whole show was good last night.

He was a bit harsh at times but I understand why, and I appreciate the honesty.

The whole show was good last night.

He's shifted his tone significantly since his return to the spotlight a few years ago. The greatest evidence for that is his 8:46 special from earlier this year. He highlighted it in his SNL monologue when he said, "I can't even tell the truth without there being a punchline. Y'all aren't ready." Dave Chapelle's taken the same path Richard Pryor and George Carlin took. He isn't just a comedian anymore and he has a lot of very good, very relevant insight to share.

He's shifted his tone significantly since his return to the spotlight a few years ago. The greatest evidence for that is his 8:46 special from earlier this year. He highlighted it in his SNL monologue when he said, "I can't even tell the truth without there being a punchline. Y'all aren't ready." Dave Chapelle's taken the same path Richard Pryor and George Carlin took. He isn't just a comedian anymore and he has a lot of very good, very relevant insight to share.

Well, he's a comedian, so people are going to expect punchlines from him.

I get what he's doing, but at the same time, it feels to me, Chappelle is getting a bit too full of himself.

I thought it was brilliant. A lot of that show was good last night. Been watching it this morning.

Well, he's a comedian, so people are going to expect punchlines from him.

I get what he's doing, but at the same time, it feels to me, Chappelle is getting a bit too full of himself.
    I agree. He definitely has an agenda and that is him fighting against the "cancel culture" that both liberals and conservatives engage in. He purposefully says shirt in in stand-up routines to get a negative reaction form his audience and then admonishes them for their their reaction and reminds us all that it's just a show, not real life. Sometimes I think he forgets that his audience are just there for the laughs, not a lesson.

I can understand the desire to separate entertainment from politics. It's similar to the people who got irked by the kneeling thing in the NFL. But while I understand it, I don't entirely agree. A big problem in this country is people becoming too isolated from one another (tribal) and maybe we've done too much escaping into the diversions of sports, entertainment, etc. such that discussion of important issues has fallen by the wayside.

People insert politics into diversions precisely because it is the only way to draw those issues into public discourse. Whether it's a woke liberal burying his head into his podcasts or an 'own-the-libs' Trump voter who just wants to hunt and fish and watch the Saints on the weekend. It's even worse because most news these days (be it on the left, right, or center) is catered toward entertainment/sensationalism.

Here's the abridged version from the biopic with David Strathairn:

Last edited:
    I agree. He definitely has an agenda and that is him fighting against the "cancel culture" that both liberals and conservatives engage in. He purposefully says shirt in in stand-up routines to get a negative reaction form his audience and then admonishes them for their their reaction and reminds us all that it's just a show, not real life. Sometimes I think he forgets that his audience are just there for the laughs, not a lesson.

I dunno. A lot of comedians have an agenda. Some are more or less apparent than others. I think Chappelle works because he's tackling relevant topics and speaking to issues that he thinks are important enough to address, often the elephant in the room.

I don't buy that he's getting too full of himself. I think he's just growing his profession and even branching out a bit. I actually like that it makes people uncomfortable. I think it's good that we don't get too comfortable with the status quo.

I guess that's part of his appeal to me. It works. A lot of people might not agree, but he really don't care about that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom