Buying salvation (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SystemShock

Uh yu ka t'ann
    Reaction score
    This is going to be more of a rant than anything.

There is a thread over at SSF about Gayle Benson giving $5M dollars to a local Catholic school. Many praised Benson for her generosity, being that Benson sort of walks on water for many over there there (for the record, I was Team Rita), however one poster pointed out that those $5M would've helped a public school much more than a private school. This poster's comment wasn't welcome. I was going to reply to that post with the following comment, but I thought it better to post here: you can't buy salvation donating to a public school.

And obviously this is not just a Benson thing; it happens everywhere, and it's just not the rich; middle class people, poor people... and selling salvation is a very lucrative business for churches.

For Gayle Benson, who all but usurped Tom's family and inherited a multi-billion dollar business (just the Saints are valued at over 3.5 billion dollars) $5M is nothing. It's even a tax write off. And for the schools she donates to, which as far as I know are all private Catholic schools, I guess the extra money is nice, but they aren't hurting like schools in the poor areas of New Orleans are. $5M would've gone a long way in helping poor students not in just one, but a few schools. I know that when I want to help people, I help those in actual need.

And how incredibly dense it is to think that giving money to religious anything will buy you salvation, or in the case of poor people, prosperity. And it doesn't matter how many times those charlatans get exposed, people still believe sending money or valuables to the charlatan d'jour will get them the salvation or prosperity they crave.

This is going to be more of a rant than anything.

There is a thread over at SSF about Gayle Benson giving $5M dollars to a local Catholic school. Many praised Benson for her generosity, being that Benson sort of walks on water for many over there there (for the record, I was Team Rita), however one poster pointed out that those $5M would've helped a public school much more than a private school. This poster's comment wasn't welcome. I was going to reply to that post with the following comment, but I thought it better to post here: you can't buy salvation donating to a public school.

And obviously this is not just a Benson thing; it happens everywhere, and it's just not the rich; middle class people, poor people... and selling salvation is a very lucrative business for churches.

For Gayle Benson, who all but usurped Tom's family and inherited a multi-billion dollar business (just the Saints are valued at over 3.5 billion dollars) $5M is nothing. It's even a tax write off. And for the schools she donates to, which as far as I know are all private Catholic schools, I guess the extra money is nice, but they aren't hurting like schools in the poor areas of New Orleans are. $5M would've gone a long way in helping poor students not in just one, but a few schools. I know that when I want to help people, I help those in actual need.

And how incredibly dense it is to think that giving money to religious anything will buy you salvation, or in the case of poor people, prosperity. And it doesn't matter how many times those charlatans get exposed, people still believe sending money or valuables to the charlatan d'jour will get them the salvation or prosperity they crave.
    No argument. I have always had issues with religious schools queuing up at the government trough. One wonders how Gayle Benson feels about how public schools are funded.

As for salvation? That is a completely different animal. Paul allegedly says that we are no longer subject to the law. The Christ allegedly says that the law is still in place. James’ letter says that faith without works is dead. Imo, if Benson had donated to a homeless shelter or some other charity that would make more sense at least to me which is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. This whole thing underscores the issue of inerrancy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
    Top Bottom