Book Burning in America (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Roofgardener

Reaction score
    Well, OK.. not really.. no books have actually been BURN.. yet. But.....

Doctor Seuss Enterprises has withdrawn six Dr Seuss books from sale, on the grounds that they where 'racially insensitive imagery'.
    Yup.. the Cat in the Hat was a White Nationalist Trumpist Quanon supporter all along ! :p

Well, they have the legal right to do that. However, what happened NEXT is VERY interesting.
    The value of those six books skyrocketed on Ebay. So Ebay finally responded by... delisting the books.
    It is no longer possible to list any of the six books for sale in the USA. If you try more than once, your account can be penalised.

Now think about this. You can buy Mein Kampf, and The Protocols of the Elders of Zion on Ebay in the USA no problem.
    But you aren't ALLOWED to buy "If I ran the zoo".

OK.. this is only six out of the many dozens of books by Dr Seuss.
    At the moment.

Is it just me that finds this incredibly authoritarian ?

I don't know what else to tell you, if it means that much to you, please post a definition that we can all use while we discuss it.
    Here is the definition from Wikipedia. Seems like a reasonable place to offer boundaries for discussion:
    Cancel culture (or call-out culture) is a modern form of ostracism in which someone is thrust out of social or professional circles – whether it be online, on social media, or in person... The notion of cancel culture is a variant on the term call-out culture and constitutes a form of boycotting involving an individual (usually a celebrity) who is deemed to have acted or spoken in a questionable or controversial manner.

So is “cancel culture” always wrong?

Is there ever a good reason for the public to use its bully pulpit?

Would it be wrong for people to stop buying clothes from companies that use overseas sweatshops?

Would it be wrong for people to boycott a TV station because they refused to fire an anchor who said they hate Mexicans on the air?

Is it wrong for people to call for cumo’s resignation?

I think the disagreement is over how we feel about what is being cancelled, not “cancel culture” as a tool.

So is “cancel culture” always wrong?

Is there ever a good reason for the public to use its bully pulpit?

Would it be wrong for people to stop buying clothes from companies that use overseas sweatshops?

Would it be wrong for people to boycott a TV station because they refused to fire an anchor who said they hate Mexicans on the air?

Is it wrong for people to call for cumo’s resignation?

I think the disagreement is over how we feel about what is being cancelled, not “cancel culture” as a tool.
    That's exactly what it is and no it's not inherently a bad thing.. cancel culture, like political correctness, is just a dumb catch-all that allows people to birch about shirt they don't like from the other side.. sometimes there's merit to it, sometimes there's not, sometimes there's grey..

I just try to assess each situation on its own and make up my own forking mind.

And with that said, sure cancel the fork out of Cuomo.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom