All things Racist...USA edition (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    I was looking for a place to put this so we could discuss but didn't really find a place that worked so I created this thread so we can all place articles, experiences, videos and examples of racism in the USA.

This is one that happened this week. The lady even called and filed a complaint on the officer. This officer also chose to wear the body cam (apparently, LA doesn't require this yet). This exchange wasn't necessarily racist IMO until she started with the "mexican racist...you will never be white, like you want" garbage. That is when it turned racist IMO

All the murderer and other insults, I think are just a by product of CRT and ACAB rhetoric that is very common on the radical left and sadly is being brought to mainstream in this country.

Another point that I think is worth mentioning is she is a teacher and the sense of entitlement she feels is mind blowing.

https://news.yahoo.com/black-teacher-berates-latino-la-221235341.html

not far from me

Removing a statue is one thing but renaming Jordan Street to Jordan Street?

I wouldn't even know where to go to find out who the streets in my neighborhood are named after
    ================================================

ALEXANDRIA, VA — Renamings of Alexandria streets with references to Confederate figures will be up for an Alexandria City Council decision Saturday.

Streets being considered for renamings are North Breckinridge Place, Forrest Street, North Early Street and South Early Street. North Jordan Street, South Jordan Street and Jordan Court would not be renamed but instead rededicated in honor of Thomasina Jordan, the first Native American in the U.S. Electoral College who was later an Alexandria resident.

North Breckinridge Place would be renamed in honor of Harriet Jacobs, an African American abolitionist who published "Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl." The current street name refers to John Cabell Breckinridge, who was a U.S. vice president who later was Secretary of War for the Confederate States.

Forrest Street would be renamed Forest Street, as the current street name refers to either Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest or Confederate Navy Commander French Forrest.

North Early Street and South Early Street would be renamed for Charity Earley, who was the first African American woman to be in the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps and commanded the first African American female battalion serving abroad during World War II. The current name of Early Street refers to Jubal A. Early, a Confederate brigadier general.

The current Jordan street names refer to Confederate Brigadier General Thomas Jordan..........

not far from me

Removing a statue is one thing but renaming Jordan Street to Jordan Street?

I wouldn't even know where to go to find out who the streets in my neighborhood are named after
    ================================================

ALEXANDRIA, VA — Renamings of Alexandria streets with references to Confederate figures will be up for an Alexandria City Council decision Saturday.

Streets being considered for renamings are North Breckinridge Place, Forrest Street, North Early Street and South Early Street. North Jordan Street, South Jordan Street and Jordan Court would not be renamed but instead rededicated in honor of Thomasina Jordan, the first Native American in the U.S. Electoral College who was later an Alexandria resident.

North Breckinridge Place would be renamed in honor of Harriet Jacobs, an African American abolitionist who published "Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl." The current street name refers to John Cabell Breckinridge, who was a U.S. vice president who later was Secretary of War for the Confederate States.

Forrest Street would be renamed Forest Street, as the current street name refers to either Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest or Confederate Navy Commander French Forrest.

North Early Street and South Early Street would be renamed for Charity Earley, who was the first African American woman to be in the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps and commanded the first African American female battalion serving abroad during World War II. The current name of Early Street refers to Jubal A. Early, a Confederate brigadier general.

The current Jordan street names refer to Confederate Brigadier General Thomas Jordan..........

Probably in the minutes of some city council meeting when there was a resolution. I think it’s a good idea to change the person so everyone on the street doesn’t have the hassle of changing their records.

“It’s not what you say, but how you say it,” is a wise adage. But at ESPN, it’s always felt like who said it was more important than what was said. Aaron Rodgers and Pat McAfee haven’t been sticking to sports for a while now, which was, and still is, a privilege that former and current Black employees aren’t privy to.

The terms “stick to sports” and “shut up and dribble” are coded language for when certain people want Black folks and Black athletics to remain silent. And while we live in a world where those people are becoming less politically correct, they’re still experts when it comes to dog-whistling. It’s a way to remind us of our “place,” in the same way that “thug,” “woke” and “diversity/DEI” mean Black.

I say this while understanding that this very site — before I was an employee here — was once in the news due to a “stick to sports” mandate as it was a publication that went out of its way not to hire Black employees, like so many others.

All of these things need to be understood to fully grasp how much Rodgers and McAfee have punked their bosses. Outside of the idiocy of their actions and words, these are examples of the freedoms that Black employees have never been able to enjoy, let alone think it possible and remain employed.

“I haven’t polled our crowd, but I’m rather certain that nobody’s wanting to come hang out with us to hear us talk about politics,” McAfee recently wrote as part of a longer message on his social media accounts. Over the last few months, we’ve learned that Rodgers is paid millions to appear on McAfee’s show to spew all of his crazy and dangerous theories about life, drugs, politics, vaccines and public safety. He basically gets to say anything while McAfee stands there in a tank top with the, “How did I know he was going to say that?” look on his face.

The show’s most recent blunder was due to Rodgers claiming that Jimmy Kimmel could have been listed in court documents associated with the Jeffrey Epstein case. That was followed by McAfee saying that Rodgers was done as a guest for the season, only for him to return a day later, which was also followed by McAfee posting some ridiculously dumb nonsense for MLK Day that nobody asked for.

Funny enough, that’s not even the wildest thing that’s happened, as that occurred when McAfee called out one of his bosses. “Now, there are some people actively trying to sabotage us from within ESPN — more specifically, I believe, Norby Williamson is the guy who is attempting to sabotage our program,” said McAfee. Williamson is one of the most powerful people at ESPN and serves as their executive editor and head of event and studio production. And according to who you ask or believe, Williamson has a long history of doing what McAfee accused him of.

“And then are we just gonna combat that from a rat every single time?” added McAfee. If the late Bob McNair, former owner of the Houston Texans, were still alive, in this situation he might say, “We can’t have the inmates running the prison.”

“They’d be out the door, without a question. No Black person could criticize Norby Williamson in that same way and keep their job.” A former ESPN executive told Deadspin.

That was from a former ESPN suit, but can you imagine if one of ESPN’s front-facing Black employees said or did anything close to what Rodgers and McAfee have been able to get away with? I asked a few folks who used to work there.

“I’m assuming that’s rhetorical,” former SportsCenter host Micahel Smith said with a laugh to Deadspin. “We both know the answer to that. And they know that we ALL know the answer to that.”

“I don’t believe there’s ever been anyone in recent memory with the cachet, contract and privilege,” said former ESPN host Cari Champion to Deadspin. “There are those who think they are bigger than the brand and then there’s Pat. Someone I believe could care a little less. You ask if I would? Not only did I not have the privilege, I’m a journalist — I would move differently.”............

This is why Pat and Rodgers rub me the wrong way so much. I cannot stand the smarmy attitude that they’re better than anyone else, or smarter, or cooler. Ugh.

I disagree and I saw that the article mentions King's: "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

That is the exact opposite of CRT.
    Chris Metzler, an expert on diversity, equity and inclusion, said he did not flinch when he learned that billionaire Bill Ackman had said Martin Luther King Jr., whose life was committed to civil and equal rights, would have “opposed” the ideology of DEI.

Metzler, who created certification courses in diversity, equity and inclusion, or DEI, at Georgetown and Cornell universities, called the remarks “just ridiculous, but not surprising. He and they — because he’s not alone in this — want to take the ‘content of your character’ part of that historic speech out of context to fit their narrative. It’s wrong.”

Speaking with X owner Elon Musk and Rep. Dean Phillips of Minnesota, a long-shot Democratic presidential candidate, on the federal holiday celebrating King’s birthday, Ackman called the “DEI movement” an ideology that went against the tenets of King’s 1963 “I Have a Dream” speech...........

Those examples sum up the ongoing effort to wipe out DEI initiatives, which have been in place to ensure fairness in hiring practices and inclusive working environments. Now, King’s words are being twisted to promote anti-DEI messaging.

His “Dream” speech “is precisely about a world where people will be judged not by the color of their skin but the content of their character. And when I came to learn about the DEI movement, which is an ideological movement, it’s really the reverse of that,” Ackman said during their conversation on Spaces, X’s live audio platform........

Ackman’s comments are similar to sentiments expressed by other wealthy conservatives who have evoked King’s name in their thoughts about DEI. Vivek Ramaswamy, the Republican businessman who dropped out of the presidential race Monday, said last week: “I think it desecrates the legacy of our civil rights movement, desecrated the legacy of Martin Luther King, that right when we get closest to of having racial equality ... to then obsess over systemic racism. To then obsess over white guilt and otherwise.”......

The whole "I don't see color" line is such bullshirt. They do.

All the people who say this if you look back in their dating history I'll guarantee you won't see any PoC in there. When you look at their closest friends and highest professional contacts, you won't find many if any PoC.

Saying "I don't see color" is the same as saying "I don't see gender" (especially in hiring or selection criteria for jobs, admissions, etc.) and god knows they certainly DO see gender as they obsess over the genitals of the person who might be in the stall next to them or running in a 5k fun run for cancer research at the finish line podium.

The whole "I don't see color" line is such bullshirt. They do.
    It's as ridiculous as saying "I don't see hair color" or "I don't see height."

It's not about not seeing skin color, it's all about not prejudging people based on their skin color and not disrespecting people based on their skin color, or any other physical traits.

I think it's actually disrespectful to not see everything about everyone. We're all unique and our uniqueness should be seen and accepted.

I disagree and I saw that the article mentions King's: "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

That is the exact opposite of CRT.
    Actually, that's evidence for CRT.

An Oklahoma lawmaker is facing backlash for proposing a discriminatory bill that deems people of Hispanic descent as “terrorists”.

The Republican state representative JJ Humphrey introduced the bill, HB 3133, which seeks to combat problems in the state, such as drug and human trafficking, and lay out punishments to those who have committed these “acts of terrorism”.

The punishment for such a crime would be forfeiting all assets, including any and all property, vehicles and money.

In addition to “a member of a criminal street gang” and someone who “has been convicted of a gang-related offense”, the bill defines a terrorist as “any person who is of Hispanic descent living within the state of Oklahoma”…….

Remember when people said BLM wasn’t actually spurring the violence in the 2020 protests? Yet right wingers insisted they were responsible, often without proof? I remember reading reports that RWNJs who wanted to start a race war were agitating crowds toward violence and we all saw the video of the Umbrella Guy in Minnesota who broke the windows at the auto supply store and spray painted “Free shirt” on the side of the building to encourage looting. I think the store ended up burning down.

Well, they got one of these guys convicted, anyway. I hope it’s only the first, and they get more of them.

Remember when people said BLM wasn’t actually spurring the violence in the 2020 protests? Yet right wingers insisted they were responsible, often without proof? I remember reading reports that RWNJs who wanted to start a race war were agitating crowds toward violence and we all saw the video of the Umbrella Guy in Minnesota who broke the windows at the auto supply store and spray painted “Free shirt” on the side of the building to encourage looting. I think the store ended up burning down.

Well, they got one of these guys convicted, anyway. I hope it’s only the first, and they get more of them.

And I never heard about them arresting or charging the Umbrella Man:

Figured I better screen shot it. He may well be deleting this racist idiotic take soon.

IMG_1298.jpeg

Cellist Sheku Kanneh-Mason has faced the wrath of social media this week following his appearance on Radio 4's Desert Island Discs. In his interview with the programme's host Lauren Laverne, Kanneh-Mason said that 'Rule, Britannia!' 'makes people uncomfortable' and shouldn't be sung at the Last Night of the Proms. The song has long been a controversial topic of debate, thanks to its associations with colonialism and slavery.

It's not the first time the song has been addressed in the mainstream media. In 2020, there was press speculation that the BBC would seek to quietly drop 'Rule, Britannia!' from its Last Night programming, following the murder of George Floyd and rise of the Black Lives Matter movement. The BBC then said it would be featuring orchestral-only versions, in line with Covid-19 restrictions – but reports at the time suggested that the lyrics were being dropped due to their associations with slavery. However, the performance ended up going ahead as planned, albeit with a small group of singers.

Kanneh-Mason was a soloist at the Last Night of the Proms last year, but in his Desert Island Discs interview he revealed he did not stay to hear 'Rule, Britannia!' being sung at the end of the concert.

'I don't think it should be included. I think maybe some people don't realise how uncomfortable a song like that can make a lot of people feel, even if it makes them feel good,' he said in the interview. 'I think that's somehow a big misunderstanding about it.'..........

Cellist Sheku Kanneh-Mason has faced the wrath of social media this week following his appearance on Radio 4's Desert Island Discs. In his interview with the programme's host Lauren Laverne, Kanneh-Mason said that 'Rule, Britannia!' 'makes people uncomfortable' and shouldn't be sung at the Last Night of the Proms. The song has long been a controversial topic of debate, thanks to its associations with colonialism and slavery.

It's not the first time the song has been addressed in the mainstream media. In 2020, there was press speculation that the BBC would seek to quietly drop 'Rule, Britannia!' from its Last Night programming, following the murder of George Floyd and rise of the Black Lives Matter movement. The BBC then said it would be featuring orchestral-only versions, in line with Covid-19 restrictions – but reports at the time suggested that the lyricswere being dropped due to their associations with slavery. However, the performance ended up going ahead as planned, albeit with a small group of singers.

Kanneh-Mason was a soloist at the Last Night of the Proms last year, but in his Desert Island Discs interview he revealed he did not stay to hear 'Rule, Britannia!' being sung at the end of the concert.

'I don't think it should be included. I think maybe some people don't realise how uncomfortable a song like that can make a lot of people feel, even if it makes them feel good,' he said in the interview. 'I think that's somehow a big misunderstanding about it.'..........

TIL, thanks for posting. Had no idea this was going on. The naked racism on display is shameful. Ugh.

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — Legislators in racially diverse Puerto Rico have opened a public debate on a bill to explicitly prohibit discrimination against hairstyles such as cornrows and Afros, sparking a heated debate.

Local government officials argue the legislation is unnecessary because federal and local laws already ban such discrimination. But Puerto Rican activists said at a hearing Tuesday that the island’s Afro Caribbean community still faces discrimination and needs explicit protection when it comes to public services, work, education and housing.

“I’m 23 years old, and I’m tired of this problem,” said Julia Llanos Bultrón, a teacher who wears cornrows. “I’m very disappointed with a system that pushes us to change the hair with which we’re born.”

Llanos said that a school in the northeast town of Fajardo offered her a job last year on condition that she cut her hair because they didn’t allow locks. She declined.

Similar incidents were recounted by others who spoke at a crowded public hearing held at San Juan’s seaside Capitol building, noting that the hairstyles in question are culturally important and carry historical significance…….

TIL, thanks for posting. Had no idea this was going on. The naked racism on display is shameful. Ugh.

Seem to recall some saying the same thing about the Star Spangled Banner and the 3rd verse (which is never sung), this was 20-25 years ago

The reaction was more or less the same, if you don't like it GTFO

That was the first time I even knew there were more lyrics to the anthem

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
    That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion
    A home and a Country should leave us no more?
    Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.
    No refuge could save the hireling and slave
    From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
    O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom