All things Racist...USA edition (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
Reaction score
I was looking for a place to put this so we could discuss but didn't really find a place that worked so I created this thread so we can all place articles, experiences, videos and examples of racism in the USA.

This is one that happened this week. The lady even called and filed a complaint on the officer. This officer also chose to wear the body cam (apparently, LA doesn't require this yet). This exchange wasn't necessarily racist IMO until she started with the "mexican racist...you will never be white, like you want" garbage. That is when it turned racist IMO

All the murderer and other insults, I think are just a by product of CRT and ACAB rhetoric that is very common on the radical left and sadly is being brought to mainstream in this country.

Another point that I think is worth mentioning is she is a teacher and the sense of entitlement she feels is mind blowing.

https://news.yahoo.com/black-teacher-berates-latino-la-221235341.html

HOUSTON — Lawrence Hester worries every time it rains.

During heavy storms, water overflows the dirt drainage ditch fronting his yard and the bayou at the end of his block — flooding the street, creeping up his front steps, pooling beneath the house, and trapping his family inside.

“We are always underwater here,” said Hester, 61.

And yet, the state of Texas allocated none of the $1 billion in federal funds it received to protect communities from future disasters to neighborhoods in Houston that flood regularly, according to an investigation by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

HUD has now found the exclusion of those majority Black and Hispanic urban communities to be discriminatory. The state “shifted money away from the areas and people that needed it the most,” disproportionately benefiting White residents living in smaller towns, the agency concluded……..

Black and Hispanic communities in northeast Houston, including Kashmere Gardens, are especially vulnerable to the more frequent stormsand catastrophic flooding expected due to climate change, according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Many of the residential streets lack curbs and gutters — common storm drainage infrastructure in predominantly White neighborhoods in Houston — and rely instead on open ditches dating back to the 1930s…..

The city of Houston had hoped to use $95 million in federal grants to upgrade Kashmere Gardens’ storm drainage infrastructure. The proposedimprovements, including converting some of the ditches to a curb and gutter system, would have removed the flood risk to nearly 1,400 properties.

But without the money, the city shelved those plans……

Federal disaster mitigation grants are supposed to improve the inferior flood infrastructure in lower income communities.

But the HUD investigation found that competition rules set by the Texas General Land Office unfairly favored smaller towns with less urgent needs and where residents are more likely to be White and less likely to be lower income.

The state knowingly adopted scoring criteria that prioritized lower-density areas and excluded communities that HUD designated as the most impacted by disasters from half the grants, HUD said.

“Because the criteria had these unjustified discriminatory effects, their use failed to comply with HUD’s regulations,” the agency found……

That doesn't surprise me one bit. The state legislature in Texas is constantly fighting with and disadvantaging local urban governments in favor of rural areas, even as those urban areas are the economic driver of the state. Actually, there's mostly underinvestment in both areas, due to the lack corporate tax structure, but the funding that is there tends to slide to rural areas, since those arears always vote republicans. Where as most of the urban areas are democratic. Double that for poor urban areas, like they're talking about here. Most of the sidewalk and drainage improvements here in San Antonio are accomplished through local bond projects.

The below also happens a lot within the cities with bond projects and money going to white, wealthier areas in the cities. So the poor minority areas get it from both sides.

The work is a small portion of a $2.5 billion flood protection bond that Harris County passed in 2018. The bulk of the bond money was directed to wealthier neighborhoods because the county expected to receive federal disaster funds for poorer ones, according to county commissioner Rodney Ellis.

See what happens when Idris Elba is finally cast as James Bond
=========================================
A couple of days ago we got to see the main trio in the upcoming Percy Jackson and the Olympians series on Disney+ which included Leah Sava Jeffries (Empire) as Annabeth. Shortly after that announcement, we also learned that Ncuti Gatwa (Sex Education) was going to be the 14th Doctor in Doctor Who. As a Black woman who’s been involved in fandom spaces for decades, I had two reactions, “OMG YES,” followed by, “How long before the racist takes crop up?”

The answer? A couple of seconds—and that’s me being generous.

While I’ve come to expect the downright awful comments that get hurled at Black folks in nerd space, there’s something to be said about remarks that try their hardest to NOT sound racist. It’s not about skin color, you see, it’s about the accuracy of the character according to the source material.

What’s interesting is that the same courtesy isn’t always given in the reverse situation. If a white person is cast in a part that should go to a person of color, we’re told that “they just picked the best person for the job.” That excuse is used a lot when someone asks why a character’s ethnicity isn’t being properly portrayed on screen, even if the source material has them depicted as being nonwhite. This also happens with colorist castings where someone casts a lighter-skinned actor for a darker-skinned character.

But if the best person was picked for the job, why isn’t the same logic applied when it’s, in this case, two Black actors getting the part? As our Princess Weekes writes in regard to Gatwa being cast as the next Doctor, “People always talk about the fact that casting should come down to who is the best person for the job, and it certainly seems like this is the case. Gatwa is an award-winning actor who has been known for his dynamic personality and energy. The representation is, without a doubt, incredible, and I think it can be said that he is very much deserving of this kind of opportunity.”

The showrunner, Russell T. Davies, agrees.

“He has talent. It was the most blazing audition. It was our last audition. It was our very last one. We thought we had someone and in he came and stole it,” Davies said. “Genuinely. I watched Sex Education, I loved his work. I didn’t know quite what we were going to get until I was in the room, and meeting Ncuti it’s just going to be a joy. I’m properly, properly, thrilled. It’s going to be a blazing future.”
And yet here I am, writing about the predictable backlash that always happens. I guess that “best person for the job” only applies to a certain kind of actor, huh? Even if the character is one who is capable of changing their appearance to look like anyone.

In most cases whenever a Black actor gets a part that fandom has deemed as white, accusations like diversity hire or woke casting go flying about. You can set your watch to it, really.

And while I’d love to just brush this off as “trolls are gonna troll,” those trolls tend to take things to a distressing amount of harassment.

It’s interesting to me that when Black folks address issues like racism, we’re always depicted as the ones who need to “calm down.” Meanwhile, an actual child is being harassed on the Internet because she gets to be in a Disney+ series. Because “it’s not accurate to the book.”

But … Rick Riordan WANTS Jeffries to portray his character.........

Yes, yes it is.

Is it not true that a Republican will be most likely to dismiss racism as a motive for police shooting an unarmed black man?
Sure. Would it also not be true that a Democrat is most likely to declare that racism was the motive for a police shooting?

Do police kill more black males than white males and Hispanic males?

Sure. Would it also not be true that a Democrat is most likely to declare that racism was the motive for a police shooting?

Do police kill more black males than white males and Hispanic males?
on a per capita basis they shoot significantly more black males than white males

on a per capita basis they shoot significantly more black males than white males
Per capita. Sure. What is the % per capita of who commits violet crimes by race.
But still more whites are shot by police than blacks by raw numbers. Now if it was racism, that would not be the case right?

But still more whites are shot by police than blacks by raw numbers. Now if it was racism, that would not be the case right?
So you don't understand statistical analysis, which is going to make this a wasted conversation.
Have a blissful day.

The fact that you ASSUMED black people committed more crime shows your inherent bias.

Notice I said Bias, not racism.
Acknowledge your bias.

See what happens when Idris Elba is finally cast as James Bond
=========================================
A couple of days ago we got to see the main trio in the upcoming Percy Jackson and the Olympians series on Disney+ which included Leah Sava Jeffries (Empire) as Annabeth. Shortly after that announcement, we also learned that Ncuti Gatwa (Sex Education) was going to be the 14th Doctor in Doctor Who. As a Black woman who’s been involved in fandom spaces for decades, I had two reactions, “OMG YES,” followed by, “How long before the racist takes crop up?”

The answer? A couple of seconds—and that’s me being generous.

While I’ve come to expect the downright awful comments that get hurled at Black folks in nerd space, there’s something to be said about remarks that try their hardest to NOT sound racist. It’s not about skin color, you see, it’s about the accuracy of the character according to the source material.

What’s interesting is that the same courtesy isn’t always given in the reverse situation. If a white person is cast in a part that should go to a person of color, we’re told that “they just picked the best person for the job.” That excuse is used a lot when someone asks why a character’s ethnicity isn’t being properly portrayed on screen, even if the source material has them depicted as being nonwhite. This also happens with colorist castings where someone casts a lighter-skinned actor for a darker-skinned character.

But if the best person was picked for the job, why isn’t the same logic applied when it’s, in this case, two Black actors getting the part? As our Princess Weekes writes in regard to Gatwa being cast as the next Doctor, “People always talk about the fact that casting should come down to who is the best person for the job, and it certainly seems like this is the case. Gatwa is an award-winning actor who has been known for his dynamic personality and energy. The representation is, without a doubt, incredible, and I think it can be said that he is very much deserving of this kind of opportunity.”

The showrunner, Russell T. Davies, agrees.

And yet here I am, writing about the predictable backlash that always happens. I guess that “best person for the job” only applies to a certain kind of actor, huh? Even if the character is one who is capable of changing their appearance to look like anyone.

In most cases whenever a Black actor gets a part that fandom has deemed as white, accusations like diversity hire or woke casting go flying about. You can set your watch to it, really.

And while I’d love to just brush this off as “trolls are gonna troll,” those trolls tend to take things to a distressing amount of harassment.

It’s interesting to me that when Black folks address issues like racism, we’re always depicted as the ones who need to “calm down.” Meanwhile, an actual child is being harassed on the Internet because she gets to be in a Disney+ series. Because “it’s not accurate to the book.”

But … Rick Riordan WANTS Jeffries to portray his character.........

Hell hath no fury like a nerd's fan fiction rewritten.

When it comes to nerd-dom, I don't think that racism plays that big a part in fans of the books or comics crying over the accuracy in the portrayal the characters. In many cases, they have known those characters to be a certain way since they were kids. And it goes beyond the color of the character's skin. Even when the character is white, and the actor chosen is white, there are arguments about how this actor could not be this character because he doesn't look this way or move that way, etc.

The last kerfuffle about characters I remember revolved around The Witcher on Netflix. First over 2 characters that are described as white in the books (Yennefer, Fringilla), portrayed as white in the very popular video games, but are played by actresses of obvious Indian and African origins. But there were also cries over the white actor chosen to play Geralt (the witcher) because he didn't look rugged enough (James Cavill), and even over the actress who played Ciri, who is a very pale blued eyed blond, because she "isn't as pretty as Ciri from the video games" and her hair isn't platinum.

I had a discussion over at the EE about a character in the Marvel universe being brought to the sliver screen. The character is El Muerto, a very minor character (appeared in 1 or 2 issues of Spiderman, I think) which will be played by Bad Bunny, an obvious play for the young Spanish speaking audience. Comic book fans did not like the choice of character, arguing that if the producers wanted a Hispanic character, they should've used Tarantula, because it is the better known and fleshed out character.

That are just but a few examples of the petulancy of comic/fantasy book nerds. So racism may be involved at some point, but I don't think it is a major part of it.

Last edited:
A) There are a lot more white males than black and Hispanic males.

B) How often do they kill white males during a routine traffic stop?
How many whites are killed in a routine traffic stop? Probably the exact same number of black males...close to none. When would you say a 'routine' traffic stop becomes not 'routine'?

How many whites are killed in a routine traffic stop? Probably the exact same number of black males...close to none. When would you say a 'routine' traffic stop becomes not 'routine'?
Funny, I can think of several black males that were killed during a routine traffic stop but not one white male.

Stop lying to yourself.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom