All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (6 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

Well this sounds like a great idea
    ============

Across the country, GOP lawmakers are rallying around the cause of individual freedom to counter community-based disease mitigation methods, moves experts say leave the country ill-equipped to counter the resurgent coronavirus and a future, unknown outbreak.

In some states, anger at perceived overreach by health officials has prompted legislative attempts to limit their authority, including new state laws that prevent the closure of businesses or allow lawmakers to rescind mask mandates.

Some state courts have reined in the emergency and regulatory powers governors have wielded against the virus. And in its recent rulings and analysis, the U.S. Supreme Court has signaled its willingness to limit disease mitigation in the name of religious freedom.

“The legal framework has evolved in ways that will complicate and perhaps undermine efforts to deal with the next public health crisis or even routine health threats,” said Wendy Parmet, director of the Northeastern University Center for Health Policy and Law, who also said she has been a “long critic of emergency laws and their potential for abuse.”…….

At least 15 state legislatures have passed or are considering measures to limit the legal authority of public health agencies, according to the Network for Public Health Law, which partnered with the National Association of County and City Health Officials to document the legislative counterpunches.

Lawmakers in at least 46 states have introduced hundreds of bills relating to legislative oversight of gubernatorial or executive actions during coronavirus or other emergencies, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

The measures, as described by the Network for Public Health Law, include a North Dakota law that prohibits a mask mandate, even during an outbreak of tuberculosis, and a new Montana law that prohibits the use of quarantine to separate people who have probably been infected or exposed but are not yet sick.

Many bills are modeled on legislation originally crafted by conservative think tanks and activist groups, according to state lawmakers who introduced them……

Owning the libs by becoming a totalitarian regime who will take away a business’ freedom to close when and how it sees fit. Also owning the libs by contributing to unnecessary disease and death. Makes perfect sense, if you are a cult.

I get what Cillizza is saying, but at this rate, if it works in getting arm sleeves rolled up, so be it.
    “Recent data demonstrates that those Arkansans who are not vaccinated are at significantly greater risk for serious illness from Covid. In fact, 98 percent of Covid patients currently hospitalized in our state and 99 percent of recent Covid deaths were people who were not vaccinated. It’s clear that the Trump vaccine works and is saving lives.”

And this in particular (bolding is mine): “It’s clear that the Trump vaccine works and is saving lives.”

It isn’t the “Trump vaccine.” Or the “Biden vaccine.” Or the “Cillizza vaccine.” It’s just the vaccine, one that – if people get it – will save thousands of lives.

I get what Cillizza is saying, but at this rate, if it works in getting arm sleeves rolled up, so be it.

If saying Trump developed it himself in a lab gets people to take it, so be it

Speaking of, why isn't Trump out there taking credit for the vaccine ad telling people to get the Trump vaccine and don't forget that Trump cured Covid

Last edited:

Nah. This pandering to the incessant need of right wing voters to be understood and validated at every turn for their beliefs in conspiracy theories and lies needs to stop. It's killed our country.

Us "left wing" voters didn't exactly trust Operation Warp Speed going in because of lack of faith in the Trump administration ability to handle anything and questions about the independence of all Federal agency under the Trump White House, including the FDA. All very valid concerns given what we had seen up to that point last year. But then the vaccines were developed and the science came out. We started listening to many experts and we talked to doctors and we started making the rational decision to get vaccinated. And none of that was because Biden told us to get vaccinated.

Give them the facts and let right wing voters do the same. And the only fact that matters right now is that 97% of those hospitalized with Covid are unvaccinated.

If saying Trump developed it himself in a lab gets people to take it, so be it

Speaking of, why isn't Trump out there taking credit for the vaccine ad telling people to get the Trump vaccine and don't forget that Trump cured Covid
    I feel like I heard him take credit at some point. And hey, Warp Speed happened under his admin, credit where it’s due.

But that’s part of why “the government!!!” excuse is just goofy. The vaccine was developed under the Trump admin. Started distribution under the Trump admin. And continues to be distributed under the Biden admin. If this was some government masterminded plan, you’re telling me it lasted over those two district terms? Despite the “orange man bad” nonsense that supposedly dictates everything non Trump supporters do? K.

I'll admit I'm very frustrated with people on the right who have fallen for misinformation and conspiracy theories in regards to the vaccine. There's more to vaccine hesitancy than just Republicans.

A lot of attention has been spent on Republicans being the problem, leading to calls for former President Donald Trump to address the group.

A look at the data reveals that the vaccine hesitant group, however, are not big Trump lovers. They're actually likely not to be Republican. Instead, many of them are people who are detached from the political process and didn't vote for either major candidate in 2020.

The most recent Kaiser poll helps illustrate that the vaccine hesitant group doesn't really lean Republican. Just 20% of the group called themselves Republican with an additional 19% being independents who leaned Republican. The clear majority (61%) were not Republicans (41% said they were Democrats or Democratic leaning independents and 20% were either pure independents or undesignated).

This is very much unlike the vaccine resistant group, of whom 55% are Republican or Republican leaning independents. Just 21% of that group are Democrats or Democratic leaning independents.

The Kaiser poll points to a larger problem: There isn't going to be a single ideological message that appeals to a majority of the vaccine hesitant group. They're of all political stripes.

The March Kaiser Family Foundation poll shows us another issue: Traditional political type messages may not work on them either. That poll asked respondents whether they were registered to vote and for whom they voted for in the 2020 election.

The overwhelming plurality (48%) were people who either didn't vote, voted third party or weren't willing to disclose who they cast a ballot for. The rest were split 31% for Trump and 20% for President Joe Biden.

The poll gets at the fact that the efforts to vaccinate the population isn't a political campaign to reel in voters. If we use traditional election tactics to reach the vaccine hesitant group, we're likely to lose.

Just 62% of the voting age population cast a ballot in 2020, even though the election featured the highest turnout in a long time. The number of adults who didn't vote was larger than the number of people who voted for either Biden or Trump. The wait-and-see category is disproportionately made up of this group.

I'm not someone that thinks Fauci is the devil, but he needs to stop answer some critical questions.

Do you find that it is amazing the guy that has been crying about his lab theory since April will have a stance that would go right with his lab theory.

You know I would put more weight behind this if his dad in law Max Weinberg was behind this or maybe his dead dad but not him. This dude has feverishly been trying to make himself important for way to long to take him seriously. He lives in his daddy's shadow. His dad worked at Berkeley and political science is what he did there and was know kinda really respected.

The most important thing he has ever done is get hitched to Bruce Springsteen's drummers daughter.

I'll admit I'm very frustrated with people on the right who have fallen for misinformation and conspiracy theories in regards to the vaccine. There's more to vaccine hesitancy than just Republicans.

A lot of attention has been spent on Republicans being the problem, leading to calls for former President Donald Trump to address the group.

A look at the data reveals that the vaccine hesitant group, however, are not big Trump lovers. They're actually likely not to be Republican. Instead, many of them are people who are detached from the political process and didn't vote for either major candidate in 2020.

The most recent Kaiser poll helps illustrate that the vaccine hesitant group doesn't really lean Republican. Just 20% of the group called themselves Republican with an additional 19% being independents who leaned Republican. The clear majority (61%) were not Republicans (41% said they were Democrats or Democratic leaning independents and 20% were either pure independents or undesignated).

This is very much unlike the vaccine resistant group, of whom 55% are Republican or Republican leaning independents. Just 21% of that group are Democrats or Democratic leaning independents.

The Kaiser poll points to a larger problem: There isn't going to be a single ideological message that appeals to a majority of the vaccine hesitant group. They're of all political stripes.

The March Kaiser Family Foundation poll shows us another issue: Traditional political type messages may not work on them either. That poll asked respondents whether they were registered to vote and for whom they voted for in the 2020 election.

The overwhelming plurality (48%) were people who either didn't vote, voted third party or weren't willing to disclose who they cast a ballot for. The rest were split 31% for Trump and 20% for President Joe Biden.

The poll gets at the fact that the efforts to vaccinate the population isn't a political campaign to reel in voters. If we use traditional election tactics to reach the vaccine hesitant group, we're likely to lose.

Just 62% of the voting age population cast a ballot in 2020, even though the election featured the highest turnout in a long time. The number of adults who didn't vote was larger than the number of people who voted for either Biden or Trump. The wait-and-see category is disproportionately made up of this group.

The map of the current outbreak is more useful than a poll. Red states are red with covid. It is not rocket science.

A guy like Fauci shouldn't be tasked with determining the origins of the virus nor be assailed with political questions by a guy who has one of the worst hairdos in the history of the Senate. Let's assume for argument sake this was indeed a nefarious plot by China. What is the endgame of the GOP? War with China? Have fun losing that one.

Guess I’ll put this here
    =================
    As I listened to the testimony Tuesday of Capitol and D.C. police officers who were attacked by the violent mob in Washington on Jan. 6, I wondered how many of the terrorists bothered to get their coronavirus vaccines.

Guessing wildly, I’m going to say: Not many.

I couldn’t help thinking it because there’s an overlap between anti-vaxxers and the rioters. Both were and are guided by disinformation intentionally distributed to pit Americans against one another — by forces internal or external, or both. We used to call that propaganda. Now, too often, we call it politics.

Both the rioters and the anti-vaxxers believe what is demonstrably wrong to the detriment of others. The rioters believed that the 2020 election was stolen from President Donald Trump.

The anti-vaccine crowd embraced Trump’s initially blasé attitude toward the virus, despite his having been vaccinated since, and despite massive evidence supporting the efficacy of the vaccines, which, until recently, were close to putting the virus to bed.

You recognize the common denominator.

To be clear, I’m not suggesting that anti-vaccine people are prone to riot or that they’d even condone what happened on Jan. 6. I know a few such people, and they flatly would not.

Anecdotally, however, I can say that everyone I know who refuses to get a coronavirus vaccine also voted for Trump, even if most people I know who voted for Trump raced to get their vaccines.

And, though my unvaccinated acquaintances would never raise their voices much less a fist, they might not mind too much that others took to the barricades and took back the election……

A guy like Fauci shouldn't be tasked with determining the origins of the virus nor be assailed with political questions by a guy who has one of the worst hairdos in the history of the Senate. Let's assume for argument sake this was indeed a nefarious plot by China. What is the endgame of the GOP? War with China? Have fun losing that one.
    But it’s just the flu, so nothing to go to war over, am I right?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom