All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (6 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

Marine One is more confined and they were definitely on board that vessel together.

Just to give a visual idea of the proximity of persons in Marine One:

Obama,_Clinton,_Gates,_Jones_and_Mullen_in_Marine_One.jpg

notification of a case in my class

first one, and gotta say I am freaking out a lil' bit

Hang in there. My son has gone through this too. I wonder if most teachers have at this point or if they haven’t they soon will. My colleague at work had a case in his daughters fifth grade class almost immediately after school started.

What kind of protocols do you have? My wife's school is full in person with masks. It is a shirt show. No community spread at her school yet but they have had a dozen cases pop up but nothing traced back to the school. Now they just implemented no quarantine for close contacts.

What kind of protocols do you have? My wife's school is full in person with masks. It is a shirt show. No community spread at her school yet but they have had a dozen cases pop up but nothing traced back to the school. Now they just implemented no quarantine for close contacts.

I teach the class MWF and T TH alternating weeks.

This week, I saw them T TH. We have in person teaching in small classes. Masks and social distanced - my room is huge and I am not close to them.

Handwashing. Sanitizer at every desk. No going around campus except specified areas and even lanes of travel.

Constant cleaning with one of those vaporizers being used in my building all day, every day.

Building is cleared out at 4pm every day for deep cleaning.

There are a ton of protocols in place. Someone in our building tested positive a couple of weeks ago but was non-teaching faculty. And didn't have contact with students or teaching faculty.

My rational side is saying, "You're fine, you don't have it."

But the anxious side of my brain - the one that LOVES to undermine the other - is saying, "OMG YOU HAVE COVID! SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR CHILDREN! SAY HELLO VENTILATOR!"

The geniuses running the Louisiana Legislature are going to legislatively lift all of the governor's COVID restrictions and eliminate all masking and distancing requirements in all businesses on the same day that the POTUS begins his two week quarantine with the virus. Ladies and gentlemen, yoooooooouuuuuuur 2020 Grand Old Party!

my wife is an adminstrator ( asst director ) for a local MDO program.

They are currently shut down this week - 2 kids and 4 faculty. Including her immediate boss. She went and got tested Monday and was negative but her stress level was thru the roof from last Thursday thru Monday. She is one of few that wears her mask 99% of the day.

I had told her at the beginning of school year, if you are not comfortable, just resign. Her meager paycheck isnt worth the stress. But she ADORES all of those little kids. Feels compelled to be there. I fully understand.

so i can understand and respect the stresses you and every other educator has to deal with.

The geniuses running the Louisiana Legislature are going to legislatively lift all of the governor's COVID restrictions and eliminate all masking and distancing requirements in all businesses on the same day that the POTUS begins his two week quarantine with the virus. Ladies and gentlemen, yoooooooouuuuuuur 2020 Grand Old Party!

Right in time for flu season.

Sounds like a real smart idea.

Ignoring the science has worked out so well for so many so far, why not try it some more here!

what is interesting is, the "reactions" to a post is limited to only 6 different ones. however, if I quote a post, I can still use a facepalm from the drop down formatting/text options panel.
    This was really just a long-winded excuse to use this -> :facepalm:

I teach the class MWF and T TH alternating weeks.

This week, I saw them T TH. We have in person teaching in small classes. Masks and social distanced - my room is huge and I am not close to them.

Handwashing. Sanitizer at every desk. No going around campus except specified areas and even lanes of travel.

Constant cleaning with one of those vaporizers being used in my building all day, every day.

Building is cleared out at 4pm every day for deep cleaning.

There are a ton of protocols in place. Someone in our building tested positive a couple of weeks ago but was non-teaching faculty. And didn't have contact with students or teaching faculty.

My rational side is saying, "You're fine, you don't have it."

But the anxious side of my brain - the one that LOVES to undermine the other - is saying, "OMG YOU HAVE COVID! SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR CHILDREN! SAY HELLO VENTILATOR!"
    What day did they get tested? Based on that, count out like 3-4 days, and go get a test for yourself. At the least, it will put you at ease.

So, Miami-Dade has taken an interesting approach to the "no fines collected" part of DeSantis' measure, from what I heard on NPR.

The wording suggests that fines can't be collected. It doesn't say they can't be levied. So, if you don't wear a mask, Miami Dade is still fining you, with collections being tbd.

Either way, punitive measures haven't really been super effective. Positive encouragement seems to work better, along with availability.

As their neighboring state of Wisconsin is seeing their highest levels of hospitalization and deaths, the Michigan supreme court strikes down the governors emergency COVID-19 response powers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom