A Ukraine Narrative? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

The Other Liberal

Reaction score
    Website
    theotherliberal.blogspot.com
    Am I way off base ? Are there certain rightwing isolationists and leftwing anti interventionists who oppose American aid to Ukraine in the war with Russia?

Supposedly these critics believe the Russian invasion was inevitable if not justified because:
    1. The West especially the US expanded NATO eastward in what the Russians feel is their sphere of influence.

2. The West helped bring down pro Russian leadership in Ukraine by supporting popular opposition among certain Ukrainians.

3. Russian is justified in waging war against Ukrainian Neonazais and to help Russian speaking Ukrainians being oppressed by the Ukrainian Nationalist government.

Is this an actual narrative or am I way off base.

No, it’s been that way since Russia invaded. I’ve seen Trumpist accounts on Twitter with Russian flag symbols by their name. A Trumpist house near us is flying the Russian flag. More limited, I think, is the support for Russia from the left, but that may be because I see more Trumpists in daily life than leftists.

No, it’s been that way since Russia invaded. I’ve seen Trumpist accounts on Twitter with Russian flag symbols by their name. A Trumpist house near us is flying the Russian flag. More limited, I think, is the support for Russia from the left, but that may be because I see more Trumpists in daily life than leftists.

Thanks for your response. I'm especially interested if there is similar sentiment on the left. However your response clears up a lot for me.

The bottom line is that there are two sides to this conflict.

We have to choose between Russia or Ukraine.

The time for arguing over the minutia are over. It's either let Russia win, or try to help Ukraine win, and which of those outcomes is better. Right and Wrong are luxuries that only exist before a war starts.

When the war is over, we can look at the build up and try to prevent similar conflicts in the future.

Am I way off base ? Are there certain rightwing isolationists and leftwing anti interventionists who oppose American aid to Ukraine in the war with Russia?

Supposedly these critics believe the Russian invasion was inevitable if not justified because:
    1. The West especially the US expanded NATO eastward in what the Russians feel is their sphere of influence.

2. The West helped bring down pro Russian leadership in Ukraine by supporting popular opposition among certain Ukrainians.

3. Russian is justified in waging war against Ukrainian Neonazais and to help Russian speaking Ukrainians being oppressed by the Ukrainian Nationalist government.

Is this an actual narrative or am I way off base.
    I know someone who's a hard core right wing isolationist, someone who's been spreading sticky Russian propaganda both far and wide.

He has found hundreds of links to some pretty far out there crazy things. The place he seems to go back to over and over for more is The Duran. Here's a link to their YouTube channel.

If you click on that link you will see The Duran's logo, it's very similar to the double headed Russian eagle.

Another source he often goes to is this site on Telegram. Twitter and I think YouTube have banned this outfit. I think they make most of what they say up.

Add peter hitchens to the leftist list that includes chomsky. The only reason I can come up with for aligning with putin’s Russia is their hatred for the west’s past imperialism and the liberal world order that it now champions.

Here he is making an assertion not based in reality. We've covered this before.

We have 4 ukrainians at my office. Actually they used to work in Kiev but the company I work for evacuated the office and all employees AND their families the day when Russia invaded Ukraine (Well actually a few day prior to the invasion) The rumours were all over the place and since the yearly conference for all employees were scheduled a few weeks later, our two owners made the decision to move up the conference, asked the Ukrainian office manager to secure all company assets and pack the local servers down and bring them along when they flew to Copenhagen. They also arranged for plane tickets for the families of our team, and arranged accomodations for everyone in Copenhagen. They told our team that if hopefully nothing happened the families could enjoy a week of paid vacation before returning home and the company would pay all their expenses. The war started 2 days later so now the team is working from Copenhagen instead. The danish government fast-tracked a law allowing Ukrainian refugees to receive workpermits immediately if they could find jobs.

All four of them considers this a war started by Russia due to the fact that Russia did not want a well-functional affluent democratic former soviet republic as neighbors. To Putin democracy is a contagious disease. This is not in their oppinion a Russia/Nato issue but a war started for two reasons. 1) To prevent the russian population from demanding the same democratic rights as Ukraine and the baltic republics and 2) Economy. Ukraine is/was a country with great economic potentials in Energy, Food and minerals and Putin wanted those.

We have 4 ukrainians at my office. Actually they used to work in Kiev but the company I work for evacuated the office and all employees AND their families the day when Russia invaded Ukraine (Well actually a few day prior to the invasion) The rumours were all over the place and since the yearly conference for all employees were scheduled a few weeks later, our two owners made the decision to move up the conference, asked the Ukrainian office manager to secure all company assets and pack the local servers down and bring them along when they flew to Copenhagen. They also arranged for plane tickets for the families of our team, and arranged accomodations for everyone in Copenhagen. They told our team that if hopefully nothing happened the families could enjoy a week of paid vacation before returning home and the company would pay all their expenses. The war started 2 days later so now the team is working from Copenhagen instead. The danish government fast-tracked a law allowing Ukrainian refugees to receive workpermits immediately if they could find jobs.

All four of them considers this a war started by Russia due to the fact that Russia did not want a well-functional affluent democratic former soviet republic as neighbors. To Putin democracy is a contagious disease. This is not in their oppinion a Russia/Nato issue but a war started for two reasons. 1) To prevent the russian population from demanding the same democratic rights as Ukraine and the baltic republics and 2) Economy. Ukraine is/was a country with great economic potentials in Energy, Food and minerals and Putin wanted those.
    Yeah that rich gas reserve off ukraine's coast has massive potential. Putin derailed potential investment with that 2014 invasion. Its silly that anyone, especially those on the left can ignore your points.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom