The 'Sift' strategy: A four-step method for spotting misinformation (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

zztop

Reaction score
    1. S is for… Stop
    2. I is for… Investigate the source
    3. F is for… Find better coverage
    4. T is for… Trace the claim to its original context

Bill Maher's railing against others in the media for blowing things out of proportion and sensationalizing things?

Bill Maher should spend more time watching his own show, before casting stones at anyone else.

Last edited:
    It's bizarre to me that Congressional Republicans refused to extend the internet assistance program. Most people in rural America relied on it to be able to afford internet connection. Most of those people consistently vote Republican. Most of those people get reinforcement and help to spread that misinformation over their internet connections.

They should have funded the extension of the program just on the spirit of helping keep people connected, but they really should have extended it to keep their disinformation campaign rolling full steam ahead.

Bill Maher's railing against others in the media for blowing things out of proportion and sensationalizing things?

Bill Maher should spend more time watching his own show, before casting stones at anyone else.

Maher does exaggerate things, but I usually agree with Maher on the big picture. I think he’s more honest than most of the media. Everyone knows his politics, but he is good at explaining things. In this piece, he’s right that even if Trump is elected, we don’t know for sure how bad things will get. It is reasonable to believe that it will be much worse than last time, but there is a chance that we’ll get through the 4 years without permanent damage, and there is a tiny chance Trump won’t be bad for the country. The truth is usually somewhere in between. God I hope it is.

Maher does exaggerate things, but I usually agree with Maher on the big picture. I think he’s more honest than most of the media. Everyone knows his politics, but he is good at explaining things. In this piece, he’s right that even if Trump is elected, we don’t know for sure how bad things will get. It is reasonable to believe that it will be much worse than last time, but there is a chance that we’ll get through the 4 years without permanent damage, and there is a tiny chance Trump won’t be bad for the country. The truth is usually somewhere in between. God I hope it is.

Sorry I disagree. The media are still mostly asleep. This is serious and I dont think "We may be ok with 4 years of Trump" is anything but a false hope.

This is not just the US but the whole world, who will be facing huge challenges over the next five years. We will see major shifts in populations and demographics. Certain resources will become scarce. We maybe facing a major ecological disaster and imagine how a man like Trump would handle that? He killed +600K excess americans by his botched Covid response and the next crisis will be 100 times worse. Add project 2025 to the equation and I am sorry but I cant in any way see how this would not end up as global humanitarian dissaster the like that we have never seen before

The media should be shouting from the roof tops but they are busy doing both-sideism..

Maher does exaggerate things, but I usually agree with Maher on the big picture. I think he’s more honest than most of the media. Everyone knows his politics...
    I don't expect you are anyone else to take my word for anything.

I met Bill Maher at a party once. I didn't directly interact with him, but I watched him as he spent about 30 minutes interacting with the group of people I was hanging out with.

It only took those 30 minutes for Bill Maher to show that he's a complete phony. He's sexist, elitist, arrogant, passive aggressively mean and every bit as narcissistic as Trump. The only difference is that Bill Maher cowards whereas Trump bullies.

He doesn't actually believe all of the things he says he belives while he's on camera.

Sorry I disagree. The media are still mostly asleep. This is serious and I dont think "We may be ok with 4 years of Trump" is anything but a false hope.

This is not just the US but the whole world, who will be facing huge challenges over the next five years. We will see major shifts in populations and demographics. Certain resources will become scarce. We maybe facing a major ecological disaster and imagine how a man like Trump would handle that? He killed +600K excess americans by his botched Covid response and the next crisis will be 100 times worse. Add project 2025 to the equation and I am sorry but I cant in any way see how this would not end up as global humanitarian dissaster the like that we have never seen before

The media should be shouting from the roof tops but they are busy doing both-sideism..
    You are seeing and stating the total and complete truth. From 2025 to 2029 the planet will see:
    • 100's of millions to billions of people forced to relocate by severe climate change and sea level rise
    • People violently fighting over water and food, because of abuse of fresh water and a crash in food production
    • Global war as a result of nations using military force to try to expand their global control and access to resources
    • A combination of decreasing vaccination and increased disease spread as a result of climate change will lead to widespread epidemics and another possible pandemic
    Florida will be the second worst area on the planet severely impacted by the ongoing climate change. An area in China is the only place that will get it worse than Florida. The US will face climate challenges over the next five years that we've never faced before, and that's just what we can see coming. Who knows what surprises earthquakes, volcanoes and space objects have in store for us.

As @Dragon pointed out, it's not just a US challenge. It's a human challenge and if we don't all work together, civilization will not survive. Humans will, but civilization will not.

Facing those kinds of challenges, Trump and his ilk would exploit it for shortsighted personal gains which would include turning America into a completely authoritarian state and letting 100's of millions to billions of people die instead of saving them.

While I’m very worried that it could be as bad as you’ve predicted, we don’t know for sure. American democracy may fail if Trump is elected, but we don’t know for sure. I think the more realistic scenario is that he will create another disaster that a Democratic president will have to fix, which has been the pattern for decades. It will be hard to get him out of office, but I think somehow he will get removed. We’re definitely playing Russian Roulette with Trump.

While I’m very worried that it could be as bad as you’ve predicted, we don’t know for sure. American democracy may fail if Trump is elected, but we don’t know for sure. I think the more realistic scenario is that he will create another disaster that a Democratic president will have to fix, which has been the pattern for decades. It will be hard to get him out of office, but I think somehow he will get removed. We’re definitely playing Russian Roulette with Trump.

We can't keep doing that as a country. That is lunacy. Trump and Republicans will create a disaster that Democrats won't be able to fix.

Thinking that is a possible outcome of another Trump presidency is really, really irresponsible because it will allow too many people to be complacent and not deal with the likely reality of a Trump presidency until it is too late or they are dead.

Last edited:
    Domestically we could survive another 4 years if the convicted felon and rapist.

Internationally, it can very much mean the end of the world.

First, nothing will stop China from taking Taiwan. Israel will move on Iran.

But the most devastating effect
    with the convict: Ukraine will be cut off. And the EU nations - will step in and up. Poland, Romania, Estonia will decide whether it is better fight the Russians inside Ukraine or their own country. Kaliningrad will become a hot spot and the conflict will spill over into all of eastern Europe.

France, Germany and The Netherlands are far superior to Russia in terms of technological weaponry, and remaining stores of said weapons.

Putin will use tactical nukes. They will be shot down. Putin will use conventional nukes. End.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom