Ruth Bader Ginsburg has passed (Replaced by Amy Coney Barrett)(Now Abortion Discussion) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Trump pulls the stimulus saying that they need to focus on confirming Comey Barrett.

Except, we had 8 SC Justices last election and that was okay. Now, having a 9th is more important than taking care of Americans during COVID?

What a bizarre series of priorities. By their own precedent.

More talks that were not disclosed. Almost like she is either very sloppy or she’s trying to hide something.

I guess we'll see if anything comes of this during the hearings.

:LOL:

Nothing will come of this from the hearings, these hearings are nothing but a step they have to check off before she takes her seat.

Well, if nothing else, I'd like to see how she responds to the issue. Did she forget, or feel like she didn't need to report it? I obviously don't think it impacts the outcome, but I am interested in what she'll say.

Well, if nothing else, I'd like to see how she responds to the issue. Did she forget, or feel like she didn't need to report it? I obviously don't think it impacts the outcome, but I am interested in what she'll say.
    I mean, she can say whatever she wants, it won't change anything. I'm already over it because for those of us who opposes her nomination, there's NOTHING that can be done to stop her from becoming a Supreme Court Justice.

I mean, she can say whatever she wants, it won't change anything. I'm already over it because for those of us who opposes her nomination, there's NOTHING that can be done to stop her from becoming a Supreme Court Justice.

Sure, but perception matters, and if I as a moderate look at her answers and feel she's not genuine, that would affect my view of what kind of justices we can expect conservatives to find as acceptable. Sure, there are other issues of concern. This just sort of adds to the overall picture.

In April 2013, Barrett gave a small hour-long seminar "for students on changes to law and life for women after Roe v. Wade" entitled "Being a Woman After Roe."

[Barrett] also did not disclose that in November 2013 she spoke to Jus Vitae, the law school's Right to Life club, on "The Supreme Court's Abortion Jurisprudence."

In April 2013, Barrett gave a small hour-long seminar "for students on changes to law and life for women after Roe v. Wade" entitled "Being a Woman After Roe."

[Barrett] also did not disclose that in November 2013 she spoke to Jus Vitae, the law school's Right to Life club, on "The Supreme Court's Abortion Jurisprudence."

Huge red flags IMO. Do Trump Republicans even understand separation of church and state?

The National Association of Women Lawyers announced that their evaluation found Barrett to be "Not Qualified."

NAWL Supreme Court Committee
    Concludes Barrett is "Not Qualified"

Following President Trump’s nomination of the Honorable Amy C. Barrett to fill the seat on the United States Supreme Court vacated by the passing of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the National Association of Women Lawyers convened its Committee for the Evaluation of Supreme Court Nominees (“Committee”). Comprised of a distinguished array of law professors, appellate practitioners, and lawyers from diverse practice settings, the Committee conducts the critical work of reviewing and evaluating the qualifications of each nominee to the Supreme Court with a specific focus on laws and decisions regarding women's rights or that have a special impact on women.

In the two weeks since the President’s nomination, the Committee has completed an extensive review of Judge Barrett’s qualifications and background. Through this process, the Committee reviewed almost 120 writings, including opinions, concurrences, and dissents written or joined by Judge Barrett, as well as law review articles and books she authored or coauthored. The Committee also interviewed more than 40 individuals who have had personal interaction with Judge Barrett during her legal career as litigants, former law clerks, former and current colleagues.

Based on this in-depth process, and in light of NAWL’s 120-year mission advocating the advancement of women’s rights under law, the Committee concluded that Judge Barrett is “Not Qualified” to serve as an Associate Justice on the Supreme Court because she has failed to demonstrate “commitment to women’s rights or issues that have a special impact on women.” Specifically, the Committee concluded from its research that (i) Judge Barrett’s judicial philosophy of originalism is fundamentally at odds with a commitment to women’s rights and (ii) Judge’s Barrett’s personal views on reproductive rights will lead her to support further restrictions on, if not the elimination of, women’s autonomy in their reproductive rights decisions.

Read the full report at www.nawl.org/SupremeCourtNominations.

Do Trump Republicans even understand separation of church and state?
    Dipping back in because of religion.

Is that rhetorical?
    And it is not only Trump Republicans. Matthew not withstanding, as much as some say they despise Trump, they'll still vote for him if it means more Bible in the SC, our laws, and our schools.

The National Association of Women Lawyers announced that their evaluation found Barrett to be "Not Qualified."

...And the American Bar Association rates her as "Well Qualified."

It's not terribly surprising. It isn't unheard of to appoint someone with a mostly academic background to the Supreme Court. It's not like she's a dummy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom