Voting Law Proposals and Voting Rights Efforts (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
This is, IMO, going to be a big topic in the coming year. Republicans have stated their aim to make voting more restrictive in just about every state where they have the means to do so. Democrats would like to pass the Voting Rights Bill named after John Lewis. I’m going to go look up the map of all the states which have pending legislation to restrict voting. Now that we have the election in the rear view, I thought we could try to make this a general discussion thread, where people who have concerns about voting abuses can post as well and we can discuss it from both sides. Please keep memes out of this thread and put them in the boards where we go to talk about the other side, lol.

Fake ballots. You get believers to load the trucks with fake ballots, you get believers to receive the fake ballots and you get believers to count the fake ballots. Sure, it sounds like a real pain in the arse but I think there'd be enough motivated people.
Like I said, you have no clue how elections work. You can't just load trucks with fake ballots. Those things are bar coded and there are security measures in place to prevent fake ballots from being counted.

On second thought, I suspect you already know this and are just trolling for responses. So, I guess I'm guilty of feeding the troll.

Fake ballots. You get believers to load the trucks with fake ballots, you get believers to receive the fake ballots and you get believers to count the fake ballots. Sure, it sounds like a real pain in the arse but I think there'd be enough motivated people.
How do these people deal with the Republicans assigned to observe in each place where ballots are counted?

How do they make sure none of the 100,000 registered voters whose ballots were faked actually show up to vote or request a ballot on their own?

Your theories make no sense at all.

How do these people deal with the Republicans assigned to observe in each place where ballots are counted?

How do they make sure none of the 100,000 registered voters whose ballots were faked actually show up to vote or request a ballot on their own?

Your theories make no sense at all.
They don't have to make sense. all they have to do is fit the narrative that he fantasizes about.
I can prove the moon landing was fake, as long as you ignore the facts, i can make it very convincing.,
Edit: well crap, i see he is now banned.. I guess we'll have to wait until he creates a new email address then a new account here..

Last edited:
I'd like to hear @Peace explain how an invesigation and recount done by a third party company paid for 100% by the republican party showed ZERO evidence of voter fraud, that they actuall found more votes for Biden after it was all said and done.

I'd like to hear @Peace explain how an invesigation and recount done by a third party company paid for 100% by the republican party showed ZERO evidence of voter fraud, that they actuall found more votes for Biden after it was all said and done.

you won't be getting that answer b/c he got banned
but based on previous comments, even if he wasn't, you would not get a straight answer.

A week after Gov. Ron DeSantis announced the arrests of 20 people for alleged voter fraud, his administration quietly made a change that some say could help the state go after more people. Starting in August, Floridians on probation have been required to sign an updated form placing the burden on them to determine if they’re eligible to vote. Beneath warnings about remaining drug-free and reporting to their probation officer is the new message:

“By signing this letter,” the updated form states, “you agree that you are solely responsible for determining if you are legally able to register to vote and that you must solely determine if you are lawfully qualified to vote.”

Nearly 150,000 people are on probation, although it’s unclear how many have signed the form. The Department of Corrections, which issues the form, said it was updated to ensure that everyone on supervision knew about the status of their voting rights.

Some voting advocates said the warning could be helpful, although they highlight Florida’s broken system for determining voter eligibility. But the timing of the changes — just eight days after DeSantis held a news conference accusing felons of voting illegally — has some questioning the state’s motives.

Each of the people arrested in August had previously been convicted of murders or felony sex offenses, making them ineligible to vote, even under the 2018 constitutional amendment giving most felons that right after they have finished their sentences. The Department of State, which reports to DeSantis, allowed them on the rolls anyway, and they voted in 2020.

To break the law, the voters’ actions had to be “willful,” a high legal burden. Many of those arrested have said they thought they could vote because they were issued voter ID cards.

The new probation forms — which those on probation are required to sign — could be used as evidence to show future actions were “willful,” said Alex Saiz, a lawyer for the Florida Justice Center, a Broward County-based nonprofit that provides legal aid and reentry services. “This is just going to make future prosecutions easier for the state,” Saiz said. “I think it’s horrifying.”.............

both sides
==========
Rep. Tom Emmer (Minn.), the chairman of House Republicans’ campaign arm, on Sunday suggested voter intimidation comes from both parties while suggesting that voters skeptical about fairness in the upcoming election should volunteer as poll watchers in their state.

During an appearance on CBS’s “Face the Nation,” moderator Margaret Brennan asked Emmer about a new CBS News-YouGov poll indicating a majority of Republicans favor private citizens patrolling polling places and ballot boxes, while a majority of Democrats opposed the practice.

“I think this is going to be a very good election because people are awake,” said Emmer. “They’re paying attention. They should volunteer as poll watchers, it’s a state-based system. Whatever your state requires and allows, you should definitely be involved. And I think it’s going to help the process.”

The exchange came days after the Maricopa County, Arizona Board of Supervisors chairman and recorder jointly sounded alarms about two armed individuals dressed in tactical gear who were found outside a ballot drop box.

“You’ve got stories on both sides of the aisle,” Emmer responded when Brennan pressed him about if the incident amounted to voter intimidation. “You get stories in many different states about how people have felt as though their right was infringed on. I think cooler heads need to prevail.”..........

Poll watchers are not what people think they are.
Of all the elections i worked, i never had one come to my precinct. And not just anyone can become a watcher. there are restrictions.
I was told not to talk to any poll watchers about anything to do with the election, and must report them if them say anything about the election to the voters or if they try to contradict anything i am doing..

and this is in a county that Trump got 70% of the vote

Maybe they think it should have been 90%
=====================================
On a Saturday in late March, the woman who runs elections in the rural hills of Surry County, North Carolina, was pulling another weekend shift preparing for the upcoming primary, when she began to hear on the other side of her wall the thunder of impassioned speeches.

She was dismayed that the voices were questioning the election she'd overseen in 2020 and implying that corrupted voting machines had helped steal it. She also believed it was no coincidence that the Surry County GOP convention — the highlight of which was a lecture from a nationally prominent proponent of the stolen-election myth — was taking place in a public meeting room right next to her office.

The elections director, 47-year-old Michella Huff, who'd lived in the county since high school and knew many voters by name, considered it ludicrous that anyone could think the election had been rigged in Surry County. Donald Trump had received upward of 70% of the roughly 36,000 votes cast. Huff, a registered Republican for most of her adult life, had personally certified the vote.

Yet people had begun approaching Huff in church recently, saying things like, "I know you didn't do anything, but that election was stolen." In February, a longtime acquaintance of Huff's cornered her in a bluegrass music store and berated her with complaints rooted in conspiracy theories.

Huff started limiting her trips to town, even doing her grocery order online. "I didn't want to have to deal with that," she said of the election backlash. But it was hard to live in partial hiding. "I'm not that kind of person. I'm a people person."

Unbeknownst to Huff, a national network of election deniers had been making inroads in Surry County, on the fringe of Appalachia. In early 2022, several members of the Surry County GOP had attended a training, put on by North Carolina Audit Force, which describes itself as a group that forms grassroots coalitions to "reveal election irregularities."

There, they were taught to "canvass" for election fraud by door-knocking to check for inaccuracies in public records, such as if a different person lived at an address than was listed on voter rolls.

Discrepancies, canvassers claim, can indicate fraud — though experts say that canvassers often misinterpret normal imperfections in difficult-to-maintain voter lists, such as someone failing to update their address when moving.

By early March, canvassers were crisscrossing Surry County, following "walk books" put together by data analysts associated with North Carolina Audit Force, who mapped routes for efficiency...........

The bowtie-wearing Frank began complaining to Huff about "phantom voters" discovered through canvassing and declaring that if he could just take an electromagnetic field meter tool to her DS200 ballot tabulators, he could reveal a minuscule modem that had helped switch votes from Trump to Joe Biden.

It wasn't the first time that Frank had encouraged an election official to let outsiders access election equipment. About 11 months before, he'd offered to help bring in a "team" to "audit" machines for Colorado officials, according to an affidavit for an arrest warrant of an official charged in the incident and to Frank himself.

In September, Frank posted on Telegram that his phone had been seized by FBI agents investigating the incident, according to The Washington Post. Frank has not been charged..........

Huff realized that her decadeslong relationships with people wouldn't prevent them from envisioning her as part of some dark conspiracy.

The next month, the commissioners unanimously voted to return nearly $100,000 in pandemic grant money, including the Center for Tech and Civic Life grant and around $60,000 from the USC Schwarzenegger Institute for State and Global Policy, named for the former Republican governor of California.

They also returned the $20,000 in federal funding, rather than divvying it up among the elections staff.

Huff felt that returning the money was "very unfair," but she resolved not to let it affect her performance. The best way to rebut conspiracy theories was to run her elections perfectly. She hoped the election conspiracy theories "would be a dead issue after the money was sent back."

But once Senter and Frank confronted her in March 2022, she realized the target on her back was permanent.........

Last edited:
When working the polls during the 2020 presidential election, i was expecting to have to tell people they weren't allowed to have political shirts, ie MAGA.. But to my surprise, i didn't see anyone. Now because of the rise in the QAnon/ Jan 6 supporters, I am expecting to see something at the polls on the 8th. Hopefully not.. If i do, GTFO... lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom