Monica Lewinsky article (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    From Vanity Fair
    =============
    If, like me, you’re a child of the ’70s (or maybe someone who gets high and watches cartoons), you might recall when you first learned of the US Constitution: Schoolhouse Rock!, the animated Saturday morning show.

A few weeks ago (when I was neither high nor watching cartoons)—amid the recent discussions about the 14th Amendment, Section 3 (you know, the one that disqualifies anyone from holding public office if they engage in an insurrection or give aid to insurrectionists)—I began wondering about why the US doesn’t have more safeguards in the Constitution to bulwark its democracy.

The fact that Amendment 14 is the only place that addresses the disqualification of a candidate for such behavior is—to use an erudite term—bonkers.

How. Is. This. Possible?

Why don’t we have more protections? And so began that familiar tumbling down the rabbit hole of reading articles by scholars of constitutional law, poring over long social media threads by legal experts, and seeking counsel from my old friend and nemesis, Google.

The obvious solution to me was to consider adding amendments to the Constitution. And unless you are a constitutional nerd, then, like me, the idea of tacking on an amendment feels like something that happens only rarely and intended to address a weighty omission—one whose impact on the citizenry must reach a high, high bar.

I imagined that the last such revision must have occurred eons ago, say, in 1919, when women won the right to vote (Amendment 19).

Wrong. The 27th Amendment—the last to be ratified—was passed by a joint resolution of Congress in 1992. The high bar of import? To ensure that Congress could not unilaterally give its members a salary hike—i.e., proposed raises cannot go into effect until the next congressional term.

High bar, my arse. It’s not that I disagree with Old Number 27, the so-called “compensation amendment,” but as far as constitutional add-ons go, it’s a “meh.” And you know what? That amendment was introduced in the 1700s and took nearly 200 years to pass. Talk about a slow burn.

In fact, I went on to discover that, for the 100 years prior to the 27th, Congress was adopting new amendments every 10 to 20 years or so. Which then led me back to where I started, but which now bolstered my conviction: It’s time. We are overdue for some constitutional upgrades……

Here are the six amendments I’d champion (in no particular order):

No. 1. Pardon Me.

Our Constitution is not a game of Monopoly. For the head of the executive branch, there should not be a “get out of jail free” card. In other words, presidents should not be able to pardon themselves. They should not be able to wield the most power of anyone in our country and not be held responsible for illegal or unconstitutional actions while wielding that power. We have a phrase for this already: abuse of power.

(Caveat: A pardon for a family member should be subject to some sort of bipartisan congressional mechanism. A presidential relative shouldn’t be automatically denied the right to receive a pardon, but in most cases a “nepo-pardon” isn’t a good look for democracy.)…..

No. 2. Confidential Means Confidential.

When I was in college, I went through the rite of passage of opening a credit card in a store that I both loved and could not afford to shop in without a parent. Little did I imagine how mortified I’d be a year later about my inability to pay said credit card balance when I went through the process of having my government background check to obtain security clearance for a position at the Pentagon. (Again, I’m so sorry, Laura Ashley.)

Do you know who doesn’t have to go through the same (or an even more vigorous) process?

The president of the United States. In fact, neither does the vice president, nor Supreme Court justices, nor even members of Congress.

As president (or as any elected official) you are basically deemed inherently trustworthy by the act of being elected by the American people. (This is some twisted shirt.)

In my view, you should not be able to have your name on any presidential or US congressional ballot if you can’t pass a rigorous security clearance…..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom