Mexico elects Claudia Sheinbaum as its first female president (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

zztop

Reaction score
    we have a world politics subforum, but it is hardly active. I think this is interesting enough to post about it here. Apparently an AMLO protege

Sheinbaum, the favored successor of outgoing President Andrés Manuel López Obrador, vowed to continue on the direction set by the populist leftist leader. But the cool-tempered scientist offers a sharp contrast in style — and a break with Mexico’s male-dominated political culture.

we have a world politics subforum, but it is hardly active. I think this is interesting enough to post about it here. Apparently an AMLO protege

Sheinbaum, the favored successor of outgoing President Andrés Manuel López Obrador, vowed to continue on the direction set by the populist leftist leader. But the cool-tempered scientist offers a sharp contrast in style — and a break with Mexico’s male-dominated political culture.
    I like that she is a climate scientist, I think, without really knowing anything about her.

So she aligns more like Venezuelan Maduro????
    Not exactly, but if she continues the policies of Lopez Obrador, it'll set the stage for a Maduro type to come along in the future, or even a military coup.

She's too far left for you?
    It has nothing to do with left or right. It has to do with whether she'll follow the vision of Lopez Obrador (AMLO), and set the stage for a situation like Venezuela's to take place in MX. And MORENA (her party) now have control of both houses to do so. There is a lot to be said, but some highlights:

The so-called Plan C, which looks to shut down all autonomous government watchdogs and create new agencies under the power of the Executive branch, the most important being INE, which is the body that conducts all elections for public office in MX and the selection of federal judges.

Abrazos, no balazos (hugs, not gunshots) which is AMLO's policy for dealing with crime and narcos, a policy that has led to historic levels of crime (organized and otherwise) and murder rates, not only in general, but murders of news people and candidates for public office. For the entire 6 year term of AMLO, MX has been the most dangerous country not at war for news reporters. MX is even more dangerous for news reporters than some countries that are at war. As for political candidates, this year, before the elections, 37 candidates for public office were murdered.

The National Guard - because AMLO had to have his, just like his good friends the dictators. But instead of creating it, he just made the federal police into the National Guard, so MX has had no federal police to speak of the last 4 or so years. Imagine the FBI being turned into a military unit under the president, and there's no FBI to investigate federal crime.

Military control. AMLO has given the military (which includes the national guard) control over seaports, airports, federal construction projects, the highways, the railways, even the new airline.

Education. All kids in grades 1-6 get the same school books free from the government. These books are revised every so often. 2 years ago, AMLO brought "educators" from Venezuela to revise the books. The result? They even got the birthdate and birthplace of Benito Juarez wrong (for those who don't know who that is, imagine a U.S. school textbook getting the birthplace and birthdate of George Washington wrong). They also added political slants that indirectly praise AMLO, and even added the famous Maduro blue bird, who Maduro says it is the reincarnation of Chavez that comes to speak to him from time to time.

There's more, but that should get the point across.

Last edited:
    Thanks for the update. I don’t know a thing about internal MX politics, so maybe you can keep us updated in here?

Meanwhile: some people are just stupid, lol

It has nothing to do with left or right. It has to do with whether she'll follow the vision of Lopez Obrador (AMLO), and set the stage for a situation like Venezuela's to take place in MX. And MORENA (her party) now have control of both houses to do so. There is a lot to be said, but some highlights:

The so-called Plan C, which looks to shut down all autonomous government watchdogs and create new agencies under the power of the Executive branch, the most important being INE, which is the body that conducts all elections for public office in MX and the selection of federal judges.

Abrazos, no balazos (hugs, not gunshots) which is AMLO's policy for dealing with crime and narcos, a policy that has led to historic levels of crime (organized and otherwise) and murder rates, not only in general, but murders of news people and candidates for public office. For the entire 6 year term of AMLO, MX has been the most dangerous country not at war for news reporters. MX is even more dangerous for news reporters than some countries that are at war. As for political candidates, this year, before the elections, 37 candidates for public office were murdered.

The National Guard - because AMLO had to have his, just like his good friends the dictators. But instead of creating it, he just made the federal police into the National Guard, so MX has had no federal police to speak of the last 4 or so years. Imagine the FBI being turned into a military unit under the president, and there's no FBI to investigate federal crime.

Military control. AMLO has given the military (which includes the national guard) control over seaports, airports, federal construction projects, the highways, the railways, even the new airline.

Education. All kids in grades 1-6 get the same school books free from the government. These books are revised every so often. 2 years ago, AMLO brought "educators" from Venezuela to revise the books. The result? They even got the birthdate and birthplace of Benito Juarez wrong (for those who don't know who that is, imagine a U.S. school textbook getting the birthplace and birthdate of George Washington wrong). They also added political slants that indirectly praise AMLO, and even added the famous Maduro blue bird, who Maduro says it is the reincarnation of Chavez that comes to speak to him from time to time.

Can you give us a breakdown of the reason why so many people voted for there party and they won such a strong majority? Just wondering why so many people want leaders that propose an authoritarian state?

Some of this seems modeled after America. The Exec branch has the agencies that run the country in the U.S. Our FBI is pretty militaristic, but they still investigate. Our National Guards can be federalized. We have a Federal Coast Guard that protects our ports, and U.S. Marshalls to protect our transportation centers.

I don't understand what is wrong with the hugs vs gunshots approach. You should first try to hug, before resorting to gunshots. Does she advocate no enforcement?

Regarding the books, that's a pitiful mistake, but many books get things wrong. That seems like cherry picked criticism. If they did a poor job with the books, then someone else should be hired. I don't see that as a justification to criticize the president. The people he appointed probably hired that company, and it is justified to critique them, but then again you have to review all of their performance, not just a bad hire.

I don't know much about AMLO, but I though MX had been improving. The crime you've described sounds terrible, but according to these links, Mexico is 42th in the world, which is only a little worse than the U.S. at 58th.

Last edited:
    Can you give us a breakdown of the reason why so many people voted for there party and they won such a strong majority? Just wondering why so many people want leaders that propose an authoritarian state?
    Well, the headlines today say that, apparently, there is fraud involved, and that 60% of the votes are being recounted, after videos surfaced of volunteers stuffing ballots, and that's why the disparity, so stay tuned...

But, in general, the situation with AMLO/MORENA and their followers is not that different from Trump/GOP and theirs followers. I've been saying it since the 2018 elections, AMLO is the leftist Trump. Heck, Donald Trump calls AMLO "Juan Trump". He's a populist who says the things a large segment of the population wants to hear, blames everything bad on everyone, claims everything good is a result of his policies, claims anything good from previous regimes was his idea, vilifies the press, downright lies during his daily morning press conference ( if he doesn't like a reporter's questions, he just revokes their credentials and they are not allowed to ever attend the presser again), claims he has eliminated corruption...

Then the monthly $3000 pesos. AMLO took a social services agency created by Vicente Fox (I think it was Fox), renamed it the "Wellness Bank" (Banco del Bienestar), and instead of services, created a pension that hands out $6000 pesos every 2 months. And people love the free money, even though they get screwed out of important social services, like healthcare, or police, or schools with air conditioning in 100°+ weather.

Some of this seems modeled after America. The Exec branch has the agencies that run the country in the U.S. Our FBI is pretty militaristic, but they still investigate. Our National Guards can be federalized. We have a Federal Coast Guard that protects our ports, and U.S. Marshalls to protect our transportation centers.
    It is not modeled after the U.S. There is a reason why institutions like INE exist, mainly 60+ years of PRI domination through fraud. The FBI is not "militaristic". The MX military isn't protecting the ports, they are running the ports.

I don't understand what is wrong with the hugs vs gunshots approach. You should first try to hug, before resorting to gunshots. Does she advocate no enforcement?
    I initially was going to reply with a simple "You got to be forking kidding me", but I guess you are coming from a philosophical standpoint, and are not aware of the levels of violence in many cities and States in MX, the weekly decapitation videos on social media, the bodies hanging from bridges, the chopped up bodies in garbage bags that show up alongside roads, political candidates and office holders who are being gunned down, the ambushes that kill police and military units...

Here is a pic for you: the CJNG in their uniforms does not stand for a government law enforcement agency, it's the freaking Jalisco cartel. You go hug them.

1717601675302.png

Regarding the books, that's a pitiful mistake, but many books get things wrong. That seems like cherry picked criticism. If they did a poor job with the books, then someone else should be hired. I don't see that as a justification to criticize the president. The people he appointed probably hired that company, and it is justified to critique them, but then again you have to review all of their performance, not just a bad hire.
    Again, I was going to reply with "you got to be forking kidding me", but, this was AMLO specifically bringing people from Venezuela to edit Mexican school books. Who the fork brings people from another country to edit your history books? And especially from a country like Venezuela?
    I don't know much
    Yep, that seems to be the problem.

It is not modeled after the U.S. There is a reason why institutions like INE exist, mainly 60+ years of PRI domination through fraud. The FBI is not "militaristic". The MX military isn't protecting the ports, they are running the ports.

I initially was going to reply with a simple "You got to be forking kidding me", but I guess you are coming from a philosophical standpoint, and are not aware of the levels of violence in many cities and States in MX, the weekly decapitation videos on social media, the bodies hanging from bridges, the chopped up bodies in garbage bags that show up alongside roads, political candidates and office holders who are being gunned down, the ambushes that kill police and military units...

Here is a pic for you: the CJNG in their uniforms does not stand for a government law enforcement agency, it's the freaking Jalisco cartel. You go hug them.

1717601675302.png

Again, I was going to reply with "you got to be forking kidding me", but, this was AMLO specifically bringing people from Venezuela to edit Mexican school books. Who the fork brings people from another country to edit your history books? And especially from a country like Venezuela?

Yep, that seems to be the problem.
    It's fair that I don't know much about Mexico, but I was responding to what you posted. Your additional information is much more damning. I have a lot of respect for scientists, so I hope you're wrong, because the last thing we need on our border is another Venezuela. What was her opponent like?

Last edited:
    I know this doesn’t have anything to do with the MX presidency, but thought I would put this here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom