Why is Columbus Day still a thing? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SystemShock

Uh yu ka t'ann
    Reaction score
    Why is Cristoforo Colombo still celebrated?
    He was a flaming racist and slave trader who didn't discover shirt. What's there to celebrate?

Columbus's descendents allowed Jews to escape the Inquisition and settle in Jamaica...that is something right? :shrug:

I say we keep the holiday. If we feel the need to cancel someone, let's at least choose from someone who is alive.

I'm all seriousness we should just erase it from all calendars next year and forget about Columbus day.

I say we keep the holiday. If we feel the need to cancel someone, let's at least choose from someone who is alive.

It's not about "cancelling" anyone, but nice try...

He didn't discover the continent.
    He wasn't the 1st European to reach the continent.
    So what exactly is he celebrated for?

It's not about "cancelling" anyone, but nice try...

He didn't discover the continent.
    He wasn't the 1st European to reach the continent.
    So what exactly is he celebrated for?

Well sure you are. The entire point of your thread is to cancel a historic figure based on the fact that he did not conform to modern values.

There is no question that his exploration directly led to significant contributions in the way that mankind understands the world, opened up the Americas to the rest of the world and vice versa. To pretend that he played no role whatsoever in the development of the world is disenginius. That can't really be your argument.

Well sure you are. The entire point of your thread is to cancel a historic figure based on the fact that he did not conform to modern values.
    I would commend you for your continuous attempt to make the thread about PC/SWJ/cancel culture, but that's nothing to commend anyone for.

The point of the thread is simply about setting the record straight.

There is no question that his exploration directly led to significant contributions in the way that mankind understands the world,
    Yeah, no.

opened up the Americas to the rest of the world and vice versa. To pretend that he played no role whatsoever in the development of the world is disenginius. That can't really be your argument.

He was one of many explorers, all originally financed by Fernando and Isabela. If anyone, it was Hernán Cortés and Francisco Pizarro who really "opened up" the continent by subjugating the Aztecs and the Incas (honorable mention to Francisco De Montejo for subjugating what was left of the Maya empire).

@Maxp in case you haven’t already found it, on mobile for me this is where edit post is located:

EE9A29CA-1CA3-4CD6-92F9-808154DDF392.png

The ellipsis icon is not visible on my phone using chrome.

I would commend you for your continuous attempt to make the thread about PC/SWJ/cancel culture, but that's nothing to commend anyone for.

The main reason I think that is what this is about is I read your posts.

But, if you want to limit your position to an argument that Columbus was an underacheiver have at it.

The main reason I think that is what this is about is I read your posts.
    Oh... really??? You have read my posts and you think I'm all about the so-called cancel culture? LOL

But, if you want to limit your position to an argument that Columbus was an underacheiver have at it.
    This is an extremely poor attempt at framing what I posted.

Colombo gets a holiday in the U.S. for allegedly discovering America. However, the historical facts are that he didn't discover America, and he wasn't even the first European to get here. So why is Columbus Day still a thing?

So positing that he's celebrated for something he didn't do, that to you is "cancel culture"... perhaps you should look at the definition.

Okay, go ahead and not celebrate that glorious holiday. I don't really care one way or another.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom