Waiting for Greta Thunberg's Xiuhtezcatl moment. (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SystemShock

Uh yu ka t'ann
    Reaction score
    Probably not many remember Xiuhtezcatl Martinez, the original teenage climate activist, who between the ages of 14 and 16, was everywhere from talk shows to the U.N. to TED talks... but he grew older, and people had a hard time pronouncing his name, so he disappeared from the limelight.

Now it is Greta Thunberg's turn, making the headlines, giving the talks, and in tears accusing the U.N. of stealing her childhood. I guess she has a couple of more years before she gets too old and cannot be used as poster child anymore, and suffers the same fate as Martinez.

And just like I did with Martinez, that is the problem I have with her, that she's just that, a poster child who is being paraded by adults to grab headlines, and I don't think the approach of parading an angry child blaming adults from stealing her childhood does any good in actually working towards a solution to anything, climate change or otherwise. On the contrary, it further entrenches opinion sides, and means absolutely nothing to the people who can actually bring about if not a solution, at least mitigation.

So, here I am, waiting for Thungerg to go the way of Martinez, and maybe we can get headlines from people like the people of NASA... although unfortunately my money is on another poster child coming alone.

I thought her testimony before Congress was somewhat effective - she barely spoke, and said she was going to submit the report of UN scientists. But then she went all Jon Stewart at the UN.

When she admitted she should be in school, I was disappointed that Kamala Harris did not rush in and arrest her parents on the spot.
    It was entertaining to see people turn on her for her "privilege" though.

All in all, it was a hoot.

I thought her testimony before Congress was somewhat effective - she barely spoke, and said she was going to submit the report of UN scientists. But then she went all Jon Stewart at the UN.

When she admitted she should be in school, I was disappointed that Kamala Harris did not rush in and arrest her parents on the spot.
    It was entertaining to see people turn on her for her "privilege" though.

All in all, it was a hoot.
    Not sure if the Jon Stewart comment was a dig or praise, since every time he has gone before congresses, he successfully shamed them into passing whatever 9/11 first responder bill was in front of them

Not sure if the Jon Stewart comment was a dig or praise, since every time he has gone before congresses, he successfully shamed them into passing whatever 9/11 first responder bill was in front of them

It was a dig.

Probably not many remember Xiuhtezcatl Martinez, the original teenage climate activist, who between the ages of 14 and 16, was everywhere from talk shows to the U.N. to TED talks... but he grew older, and people had a hard time pronouncing his name, so he disappeared from the limelight.

Now it is Greta Thunberg's turn, making the headlines, giving the talks, and in tears accusing the U.N. of stealing her childhood. I guess she has a couple of more years before she gets too old and cannot be used as poster child anymore, and suffers the same fate as Martinez.

And just like I did with Martinez, that is the problem I have with her, that she's just that, a poster child who is being paraded by adults to grab headlines, and I don't think the approach of parading an angry child blaming adults from stealing her childhood does any good in actually working towards a solution to anything, climate change or otherwise. On the contrary, it further entrenches opinion sides, and means absolutely nothing to the people who can actually bring about if not a solution, at least mitigation.

So, here I am, waiting for Thungerg to go the way of Martinez, and maybe we can get headlines from people like the people of NASA... although unfortunately my money is on another poster child coming alone.
    Lest we forget, Rachel Corrie.

August 28, 2012 / 7:51 AM / CBS/AP
    Rachel Corrie, U.S. activist killed by Israel bulldozer, brought it "upon herself," court says

(AP) HAIFA, Israel — An Israeli court ruled Tuesday that the military was not at fault for killing a U.S. activist crushed by an army bulldozer during a 2003 demonstration, rejecting a lawsuit filed by her parents.

The bulldozer driver has said he didn't see 23-year-old Rachel Corrie, a pro-Palestinian activist, who was trying to block the vehicle's path during a demonstration in the Gaza Strip against the military's demolition of Palestinian homes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom