The Voting Thread (Procedures, Turnout, Legal Challenges)(Update: Trump to file suit in PA, MI, WI, AZ, NV, GA) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Lapaz

Reaction score
    There is a lot of push-back from Trump on voting by mail, but most states allow it, and 1/3 allow it without any excuse. His rationale is that it will lead to vast fraud, but of course that isn't his real reason. His real reason is that he thinks it will be worse for conservatives, but studies have shown that states that have instituted much broader voting by mail haven't had any statistical changes in party voting.

Although, normally voting by mail doesn't affect party votes, I bet it might this year if we have another resurgence of Covid, because I think the right is much more apt to discount the virus than the left. I know that is why Trump is against it.

Whether you're left or right wing, expanding mail in votes is the right thing to do to reduce the likelihood of spreading the virus, to expand voter participation, and to make it easier for those that do show up to stay distant. It will also allow any people with susceptibilities to remain safer. I think voting by mail could be made extremely secure by having people vote using traditional postal mail, coupled with requiring a confirmation either by phone, email or text. If done by phone, then voters can provide confirmation that can include confirming their form number. If done by email or text, it can include a picture of their form, and then confirmation that that was their form. Rather than staffers individually calling people, this can be automated by having voters call the number, text the number, or email the address provided to them on their form. A website can even be created with a database of those that have voted, and perhaps a link to allow people to confirm their vote was correctly registered. For people without computers, a site can include a means to access the database over the phone with some confirmation information. These types of systems are used extensively by banks and other sites that need security, so I think they are mature enough to use. We could even use such a site for people to confirm their vote on the day of the election.

Donald Trump threatened legal action Monday after Nevada’s Legislature passed a bill to mail ballots to all active voters, suggesting the measure would make it impossible for Republicans to win there in November’s general election.

“In an illegal late night coup, Nevada’s clubhouse Governor made it impossible for Republicans to win the state,” Trump wrote on Twitter. “Post Office could never handle the Traffic of Mail-In Votes without preparation. Using Covid to steal the state. See you in Court!”

My comment to all this: He is a pathetic, loathsome man-child. Also his tactic is working, I've read a recent poll that (if he loses) most of his supporters will not accept that he lost the election, BECAUSE they will think it has been rigged with voter fraud etc.

Last edited:
    What Trump fails to realize, among other things, is that he is hurting down ballot Republican candidates as well. Some candidates have mounted get-out-the-vote efforts in their states that have a focus on absentee and mail-in balloting. Trump has cut the legs out from under those candidates.

What Trump fails to realize, among other things, is that he is hurting down ballot Republican candidates as well. Some candidates have mounted get-out-the-vote efforts in their states that have a focus on absentee and mail-in balloting. Trump has cut the legs out from under those candidates.

From that article:

Despite Trump's warnings, the nonpartisan Brennan Center for Justice at the New York School of Law said it's more likely for an American to "get struck by lightning than to commit mail voting fraud." Out of billions of votes cast across all U.S. elections from 2000 to 2012, one analysis found only 491 cases of absentee voter fraud

Won't stop his base from believing Trump over actual facts though.

I don't think he fails to realize it, I just think he doesn't care. Him getting re-electing (and avoiding jail for another 4 years) is the bigliest most importantis thing to him, all the others just don't matter as much.....

Nevada passed universal mail-in ballot over the weekend. Trump responds by saying "see you in Court!"

He can't answer subpoenas because they'd distract him from work, but he can sue a state?

Also, can the Prez actually sue someone?

I’m sure Barr will proceed with no questions asked even though he doesn’t take his orders from Trump. His testimony last week was pitiful.

The thing that is so subversive about Trump's tweeting about this is that Nevada's state assembly passed the bill in bi-cameral action and the Governor signed it. The bill was largely the result of some really poor voting conditions in the state's June special election.

But it's a coup? It's trying to "steal" something? The state has a Democrat majority in both state houses and the Governor, both senators and three of four House members are Democrats.

Using that kind of language signals to his followers that what Nevada did is somehow insipid and illegal. It's that kind of demagoguery that is just disgusting. We have to be better than that.

He can't answer subpoenas because they'd distract him from work, but he can sue a state?

Also, can the Prez actually sue someone?

Yes, a president (in their individual/private capacity) can sue someone - but I don't think he's referring to himself directly. There are two possible plaintiffs he's referring to: (1) the United States (via the Justice Department) on some legal basis that the Nevada law violates some federal law . . . that seems pretty unlikely, or (2) The Trump Campaign may sue that the Nevada law violates some element of state or federal election law.

Most of the country is beginning to open up again. There will have to be some sort of convention for both parties. There will be no need for mail in voting so this whole discussion is useless. So let’s all move on to the next thing.

Well, this aged well.

If anything the need for secure on-line or mail in / absentee voting is greater now than any other time. We need to make sure it's reliable and safe, but it has to be done.

Well, this aged well.

If anything the need for secure on-line or mail in / absentee voting is greater now than any other time. We need to make sure it's reliable and safe, but it has to be done.
    I already filled out my primary ballot, just need to mail it in.

I already filled out my primary ballot, just need to mail it in.

Lol we did.. looks like we might have some kind of voter fraud going on with Ward..
    Ah, it's some local stuff they're holding the primaries for. Don't know why it's happening in August unless they're runoffs or something (don't know if we even have that).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom