US Ambassador to Brazil reportedly asks for "favor" to aid Trump's re-election campaign (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Richard

Staff member
    Reaction score
    Obviously, the problem isn't asking Brazil for tariff relief or even suggesting that the US would reciprocate in a way that would benefit Brazil. Creating win-win scenarios is at the heart of effective trade policy. It is highly improper, however, to state that you are seeking the assistance of a foreign government to influence an American election. It is the difference between diplomacy and influence peddling.

It is highly improper, however, to state that you are seeking the assistance of a foreign government to influence an American election.

Well we were told last time that it’s improper, but Trump didn’t need to be held accountable since he’d learned his lesson and wouldn’t do it again. So no way this came from him, right?

Didn't one of those senators give (Collins - Maine) the reason she voted for Trump's acquittal as "the president has learned his lesson" or something?

I mean, I don't think I've ever heard something more disingenuous....I hope she loses her election in a landslide....

How does a relatively popular successful and moderate senator who clearly opposed Trump before the election and even after he was elected turn into a Trump supporter? The pessimist in me thinks the Republican party has become an authoritarian cult....run like the KGB/mafia....

Didn't one of those senators give (Collins - Maine) the reason she voted for Trump's acquittal as "the president has learned his lesson" or something?

I mean, I don't think I've ever heard something more disingenuous....I hope she loses her election in a landslide....

How does a relatively popular successful and moderate senator who clearly opposed Trump before the election and even after he was elected turn into a Trump supporter? The pessimist in me thinks the Republican party has become an authoritarian cult....run like the KGB/mafia....

It was, indeed, Susan Collins.

Which is why the Lincoln Project has turned their attention toward her direction as of late.
    I greatly appreciate everything the Lincoln Project is doing this election cycle to help oust Trump. I just hope they remember what they'd been fighting for after this election is over and they're back to being GOP supporters. Hopefully, they'll help to transform the party back to something resembling the GOP - pre-Tea Party Republicans

Obviously, the problem isn't asking Brazil for tariff relief or even suggesting that the US would reciprocate in a way that would benefit Brazil. Creating win-win scenarios is at the heart of effective trade policy. It is highly improper, however, to state that you are seeking the assistance of a foreign government to influence an American election. It is the difference between diplomacy and influence peddling.
    That is why much of the opposition to the Ukraine impeachment felt so disingenuous. The fact that the bribe he solicited was from a foreign country meant that his supporters could pretend it was part of some legitimate foreign policy interest in rooting out corruption. "Legitimate" foreign policy that for some reason needed to be conducted by Lev, Igor, and bootlickers like Giuliani, Sondland, Barr etc. instead of the existing channels at the state department. As if the Trump we've seen in interviews and at press conferences has some secret deep concern with rooting out corruption in places like Ukraine.

Bolton wrote in his book: “I am hard pressed to identify any significant Trump decision during my tenure that wasn’t driven by reelection calculations.” It didn't take a walrus mustache and degree from Yale Law School to figure that out. Of course he's bribing Brazil with favorable foreign policy to help himself get reelected. He's acutely aware which countries lack the guardrails to stop him from soliciting foreign interference, including our own, and will do these things until something or someone stops him. Some of the deals he offers these countries might provide tangential benefits to the US as a whole, but that's never been part of his analysis.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom