Turkey is trying to change it's name, again (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SamAndreas

It's Not my Fault
    Reaction score
    I said "trying" because the jury's still out on this one. Turkey might not be allowed to change it's name.

Abu Dhabi, UAE (CNN)The nation of Turkey has had it with being associated with a large bird that is best known as a symbol of the North American Thanksgiving holiday.
    On Thursday, the United Nations recognized the country's rebranding to Turkiye, pronounced tur-key-yay, in a move Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said would "increase our country's brand value."
    "The main reason why Turkey is changing its name is to eliminate the association with the bird," said Sinan Ulgen, Chairman of Istanbul-based think-tank EDAM. "But also, the term is used in colloquial language to denote failure."
    For President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who is running for re-election next year, the new name expresses the "culture, civilization and values of the Turkish nation in the best way."
    International organizations are now obliged to use the new name, but it won't happen overnight for the broader public, Ulgen told CNN. "It will likely take many years for the broader international public to switch from Turkey to Turkiye."
    This isn't the first time the nation has tried to change its name, he said. A similar attempt was made in the mid-1980s under Prime Minister Turgut Ozal but it never gained as much traction, he said.

It might be used in colloquial language to denote failure, but up here in the hills where we have flocks of wild turkeys numbering in the hundreds, and as thus know something about it, "turkey" doesn't denote "failure" it's another way of saying dumb as a gigantic box of rocks.

By comparison frogs are brilliant. Earth worms are even smarter than turkeys.

The article says, Turkiye will be pronounced as "tur-key-yay"

I'm sorry that's not how I'm going to pronounce it, I'm going to pronounce it the way I have always pronounced it. "tur-key." "Yay" is something I say when I'm excited, and unless Turkey approves the addition of Sweden and Finland into NATO I'm going to continue to regard Turkey as being dumber than a gigantic box of rocks.

I'm pretty fed up with the way they've been treating the Kurd's too. They better straighten up or they will be 'Turkey, dumber than a gigantic box of rocks' forever.

I have to say one of the best vacations of my life was to Turkey. Before the power shift.

Unbelievable people, culture, cities, and food.

I have had few experiences like visiting the hagia Sophia. Unbelievable google pics unbelievable.

This is by far the least of the problem with Turkey. The economy is in the dumpster and they refuse to regulate inflation by raising interest rates.

Google the crazy schemes they have been trying get their money to stabilize it is nuts.

One thing I will always tell anyone is visit Istanbul at some time in your life. It will change your mind on lots of things and people.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom