Social media and the 1st Amendment (Formerly: Trump seeks to punish Twitter) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    Despite Twitter historically granting Trump far more latitude with violations of Twitter terms of service than average members would get, a recent tagging of a Trump tweet with Twitter's fact-checking tool enraged the president. He announced yesterday that he will take retribution via executive order seeking to remove statutory legal protections in place for social media companies, and instructing his executive agencies (the FCC an DOJ) to formulate plans to take legal action against social media companies for "political bias."

A draft of the order has been released . . . and it is troubling to say the least.

According to analysis, the order will "reinterpret" a key provision of the Communications Decency Act (Sec. 230) that previously protected social media companies for responsibility for the content on their sites. That section works by declaring that social media companies are not "publishers" of the content posted by third-party account holders (members) - and it is statutory. The Trump order apparently also instructs the FCC to create regulations to make this new "interpretation" of Sec. 230 actionable against social media companies. In addition, the order apparently instructs the FTC (which is not an executive agency) to report to Congress on "political bias" in social media - and to consider using the reinterpreted Section 230 to bring actions against social media companies for political bias.

Apparently the order also instructs DOJ to work with state AGs to determine what state laws may be used against social media companies for political bias.

So yep, a Republican president is attempting to restructure the statutory framework that has allowed American social media companies - which are private business by the way - to grow into corporate giants without having to be answerable in court for the content posted by their members. And will do so based on the notion that private business should be held to some standard of political neutrality.

Further legal analysis will be needed, but it seems highly suspect on several important grounds (including the fact that Section 230 is statutory and is very explicit - it's not subject to rewrite by executive order). More importantly this idea that "political bias" can be defined and made actionable by federal agencies against private companies seems a patent violation of the First Amendment.

Last edited:
    Can you point out any Tweets by Biden or any other Democratic politicians that were fact checked by Twitter?

do you know that quotes like trumps get deleted? And that the reason his were not was because he is President?

you are the one claiming that they arent fact checking anyone else except Trump which is not true. This is your argument. I’m not sure why you keep expecting other people to deliver your argument for you.

I’m saying the campaign ads both stayed up. I just saw the Biden China one - heavily edited as all ads are - and the one linked in the article.

both of them are different than the one Taken down.

I’m not downplaying anything. I’m trying to compare apples to apples. And this seems pretty exact to me.

this is your point. It’s up to you to make it. Explain how the Biden commercial is more like the faked CNN copyrighted ad than the Trump campaign ad.

your entire point hinges on this. Because if it just an edited campaign ad then it’s just like the Trump campaign ad. It would have to be demonstrably different and more like the CNN copyrighted video.

your point so you need to demonstrate.

I’m talking about three videos. You seem to think I am talking about two.

that is incorrect.

the CNN copyrighted video is not the Trump campaign ad I am talking about. So you should probably make sure you’re dealing with everything I outlined before responding
    Post a link so I know which videos you are talking about.

Your assumption about what my point is incorrect. My point is that if Twitter is going to "fact check" politicians or put disclaimers on their videos then they have to do it to Democrats as well.

do you know that quotes like trumps get deleted? And that the reason his were not was because he is President?

you are the one claiming that they arent fact checking anyone else except Trump which is not true. This is your argument. I’m not sure why you keep expecting other people to deliver your argument for you.
    Oh lord. Why don't you stop telling me what my argument is and stick to what you want to say? I said they aren't fact checking or posting disclaimers for Biden or Democratic politicians tweets. I didn't say they aren't fact checking anyone else.

Post a link so I know which videos you are talking about.

Your assumption about what my point is incorrect. My point is that if Twitter is going to "fact check" politicians or put disclaimers on their videos then they have to do it to Democrats as well.

Where is your proof they don’t?

and I’m not doing anymore work for you. You linked your video. You explain the similarities between the CNN copyright video and the biden Clip. You still havent broken that down. You just posted a naked link.

I don’t even really know what I’m responding against.

how is the CNN video more like the Biden ad than a typical Trump ad?

Until that’s established you don’t really have an articulated point to engage with. Again, it was your point and link and argument.

I'm not sure about other videos, but they "fact checked" two of his other Tweets. I don't have a problem if they want to start fact checking, but it won't be done evenly and fairly.

Can you point out any Tweets by Biden or any other Democratic politicians that were fact checked by Twitter?

He lies all the time..... Therefore, when he blatantly lies on Twitter, he gets fact checked.

"we had a full house in Tulsa"

Tulsa Fire Marshall.... 6200

(arena holds 19,000~)

Thats a fact check scenario. Get used to it because he can't help himself but lie to his base that simply eats it up.

Where is your proof they don’t?

and I’m not doing anymore work for you. You linked your video. You explain the similarities between the CNN copyright video and the biden Clip. You still havent broken that down. You just posted a naked link.

I don’t even really know what I’m responding against.

how is the CNN video more like the Biden ad than a typical Trump ad?

Until that’s established you don’t really have an articulated point to engage with. Again, it was your point and link and argument.
    You make a claim or reference certain videos, but you can't even show which ones you are talking about? How is that my work?

I already explained that I wasn't comparing the videos. I was simply stating that they were both edited, but Twitter only made the notation on Trump's tweet and not Biden's tweet.

I see you are still playing the semantics game while avoiding discussing the actual subject.

He lies all the time..... Therefore, when he blatantly lies on Twitter, he gets fact checked.

"we had a full house in Tulsa"

Tulsa Fire Marshall.... 6200

(arena holds 19,000~)

Thats a fact check scenario. Get used to it because he can't help himself but lie to his base that simply eats it up.
    Once again I have no problem with fact checking him, but that opens up pandora's box. They have to fact check Democratic politicians as well otherwise they are opening themselves up to accusations of bias.

You make a claim or reference certain videos, but you can't even show which ones you are talking about? How is that my work?

I already explained that I wasn't comparing the videos. I was simply stating that they were both edited, but Twitter only made the notation on Trump's tweet and not Biden's tweet.

I see you are still playing the semantics game while avoiding discussing the actual subject.

you are claiming a double standard but not showing how it’s a double standard

it’s not merely editing

i still fail to see how this is supposed to be something I need to prove.

Once again I have no problem with fact checking him, but that opens up pandora's box. They have to fact check Democratic politicians as well otherwise they are opening themselves up to accusations of bias.
    Do you have proof that they are not fact checking democrats? So far you are just claiming that they aren't. That's not good enough. If you have more than one tweet from a democrat that has been widely questioned as to the truth of the content then post the example.

You don't just get to claim that democrats are not being fact checked. That claim needs to be accompanied by examples. You do realize that if something is true, there is no need to fact check it, right? Trump is a known habitual and reflexive liar. He did it several times yesterday.....just lied for no reason at all.

Trump is the reason trump is being fact checked. It's not some undemonstrable left bias by twitter that is causing twitter to fact check Trump.

So you admit that your entire argument is based on comparing two things that are similar on the face, but ignore the the context and any underlying, fundamental differences.

Bias claims from who?? Those who take the lies as truths??

First off, no candidate I can remember uses Twitter like Trump to peddle his con. He is on almost every other day. He uses to reach those who want headlines and not the full story. Tons of those folks exist. So most others that use social media platforms rarely make statements that are flat out lies because they KNOW THEY WILL BE CALLED OUT.

Trump cares little so long as it reaches his base and sinks in.

So yeah he gets fact checked.

So you admit that your entire argument is based on comparing two things that are similar on the face, but ignore the the context and any underlying, fundamental differences.
    No I'm not admitting or saying that. TheTwitter notation on Trump's tweet only said that it was a manipulated video. It didn't give any context or any criteria for the notation.

They also fact checked 2 of Trump's tweets which is fine except for the fact that they haven't fact checked any of Bidens tweets.

They also fact checked 2 of Trump's tweets which is fine except for the fact that they haven't fact checked any of Bidens tweets.
    Has Biden said anything as demonstrably false as the tweets Trump has had labeled with a fact check?

I mean, you claim the Biden edited video as an example. If edited (or more specifically, deceptively edited) video is something that you believe should be labeled with a fact check tag, how come not a single Project Veritas tweet has been labeled with a fact check tag by Twitter (to my knowledge from what I searched)?

Facebook is a total cesspool. I understand Twitter can be an awful place, too, without a doubt. But Facebook as a place that targets a specific demographic and caters to their close-mindedness is a special breed of cesspool.

North Face just took their page down off of Facebook as part of a business-boycott of Facebook. And shortly after that REI joined, too. These are the biggest names so far. I'm interested to see how much further it goes.

But his latest strategy strikes me as someone who wants to have his cake and eat it, too. I'm not versed in all this business stuff so I'll admit that this is a totally unschooled opinion and biased because I want to see him have to make an actual decision.

I see lip service paid against some of Trump's rhetoric with some token gestures toward separating himself from Trump, but at the same time a lot of pro-Trump propaganda is being allowed because it's clear it drives clicks and views and ad revenues. It seems he can also plausibly give himself an out for being against Trump's divisive rhetoric if it ends up being too costly. While I don't know business, I know ambiguity and equivocating rhetoric and that is what this strikes me as.

What staying power does Facebook have if it's not catering to this demographic? Young people are not using it. The stock price has done pretty well over the last five years and to keep it profitable, where do you go? This isn't an 18-34 demographic. Who gets targeted next? Serious question, because I'm not an ad guy.

I do not, however, trust Zuckerberg to come remotely close to a moral or ethical decision.

He's three algorithms standing on top of each other in a suit.

It would be nice if you would clarify your opinion. You didn't offer any explanation, just a naked link.

I remember when Obama was applauded by the New York Times as "digital masterminds" for using Facebook's user information.

I remember when Obama was applauded by the New York Times as "digital masterminds" for using Facebook's user information.
    I remember in 2008 when using Facebook meant you were connecting with younger voters because it was the newest and most popular social media platform.

I also remember in 2020 when TikTok users managed to make a laughingstock of Trump's staffers because they weren't engaged enough on the newer social media platform that engages a younger audience and were instead still trying to engage with voters on a social media platform that is almost old enough to vote itself.

It would be nice if you would clarify your opinion. You didn't offer any explanation, just a naked link.

i had multiple paragraphs with my explanation.

and I’ve also derided Obamas relationship with Facebook too

Are you just going to troll Searching for some gotcha?

i had multiple paragraphs with my explanation.

and I’ve also derided Obamas relationship with Facebook too

Are you just going to troll Searching for some gotcha?
    I simply asked you the same question that you asked of me. I also gave me explantion multiple times, but you didn't like my answer. Were you trolling when you asked me the same question earlier?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom