Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

A Trump admin staffer has been charged in the insurrection. He still had top secret clearance at the time, if I heard correctly.,
    These people must be jailed. I only wish there was a way to strip them of their citizenship.

Interesting read
    ============
    The Trump supporters who attacked the Capitol on Jan. 6th have been called seditious rioters, insurrectionists and domestic terrorists. I think of them as a lynch mob. Perhaps that’s because Abel Meeropol, who wrote the anti-lynching anthem “Strange Fruit,” was my father.

In the early 1930s, Abel, a Jewish English teacher at DeWitt Clinton High School in the Bronx, saw a photograph of the lynching of two men in Marion, Ind. Horrified at the murder and the crowd of onlookers, he wrote a poem titled “Bitter Fruit.” Later he changed the title to “Strange Fruit” and set it to music. He played it for Billie Holiday at New York’s Café Society, and she gave it to the world. The first stanza of the song identified its subject:

Southern trees bear a strange fruit,
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
    Black body swinging in the southern breeze
    Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees
    The photograph that triggered the song was not unusual. It was common practice for white people to attend lynchings as though they were as mundane an event as a picnic, and for photographers to turn their images into postcards which were sold in stores. People brought their children, who learned how Black people were treated if “they” stepped out of line. The people photographed at the Marion lynching did not try hide their faces. In one image, a man points to one of the dangling bodies with an expression on his face that seems to say, “See what we do to them?” Near him a woman smiles. Lynching was a national phenomenon, an American pastime; participants did not fear reprisal. They knew their actions would be condoned by the local powers, even if more prominent voices tut-tutted about following the rule of law.

On Jan. 6, the Trump mob apparently felt the same impunity. They took selfies as they smashed windows and doors, desecrated sacred objects and paraded through the Capitol rotunda. They chanted “Hang Mike Pence,” carried baseball bats, brought plastic ties to bind their victims, and looked for Congressional representatives to attack....................

My Father Wrote 'Strange Fruit.' The Capitol Rioters Had a Lot in Common With the Lynch Mobs That Inspired That Song (msn.com)

Ward, IIRC that was a tweet saying that Swalwell had filed a civil suit against Trump, Jr, Rudy and one other person for inciting a crowd to interfere with carrying out his job.

I wonder if it was fake, now. 🤷‍♀️

Hmmmm, this guy seems nervous about something

oh, and I found this about the Swalwell lawsuit. Don’t know much about it, though.

This guys book is fascinating
    =========================

Daryl Davis’s home is filled with music and memories of playing with rock n' roll royalty like Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis.

But Davis’s home is also filled with Ku Klux Klan robes and other memories of his nearly 40 years of working to convince white supremacists to renounce racism.

Davis has helped to convert more than 200 former white supremacists including Jeff Schoep, a former leader in a neo-nazi movement.

Davis says he was not surprised by the deadly riots at the Capitol on Jan. 6.

"They think their world is coming to an end, they're being erased," Davis said. "That’s their perception so it’s their reality. That’s why they came to the Capitol."

Davis, who has written and lectured about his success converting white supremacists, bases his approach to changing minds on listening and understanding..............

Maryland Musician Who Converts White Supremacists Reflects on Capitol Riot (msn.com)

Klan-destine Relationships by Daryl Davis

Last edited:
    This guy was still employed, with a Top Secret clearance, until 13 days after the insurrection.

And I almost sprayed my computer screen with my drink when I read the quote from his mom. She gets big points for using "numb-nuts." :LOL:

In an interview last week, Cecilia Klein said she was shocked by her son's arrest.

"I was watching like everybody else on Jan. 6 as those numb-nuts climbed the walls. ... It never occurred to me that Fred would be part of this," she said.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom