Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (7 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
Reaction score
I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

Did y'all catch this interview with General Honore after the Capitol riot/insurrection? This was before he was selected to lead the investigation.

Language warning.

"This needs to be a DOJ investigation, not some bullshirt congress investigation" lol

You’ve got to love that man, IMO.
I was watching a different video of folks talking about one of his interviews on this subject and read the comments.

It's interesting, I don't notice a lot of the usual snarky/hateful/stupid comments that you see almost everywhere else. Maybe they're not mainstream enough to get them.

However, one commenter said they served under him and sounded quite positive. They made a comment that "This man has no time for BS, I'll tell you that!"

I definitely feel like he will tell the unvarnished truth. No matter who it may reflect in a bad light.

Did y'all catch this interview with General Honore after the Capitol riot/insurrection? This was before he was selected to lead the investigation.

Language warning.

"This needs to be a DOJ investigation, not some bullshirt congress investigation" lol

I question the degree the that the capital police were complicit. He mentions they knew where rooms were, but there was news that some were given tours prior to 06JAN. I believe the Rep from Colorado was involved. There may have been a few that supported Trump, but the vast majority seemed to be doing their duty and tried to hold the line. They were just overwhelmed.

that said, I’m a huge fan of Honore.

I question the degree the that the capital police were complicit. He mentions they knew where rooms were, but there was news that some were given tours prior to 06JAN. I believe the Rep from Colorado was involved. There may have been a few that supported Trump, but the vast majority seemed to be doing their duty and tried to hold the line. They were just overwhelmed.

I think after an extensive investigation, I'm guessing what you'll find are 2 things, 1) top brass for the USCP either ignored or missed warning signs this might happen (there were plenty) or 2) they didn't adequately prepare the guys providing security with enough support to adequately hold back the large crowd.

Let's not forget that the idiot DC mayor basically warned the national guard to stay away the day before this happened. So I do think the USCP was shorthanded from the word go on the 6th. The national guard should have been sharing security responsibilities by preventing the crowd from breaching the Capitol grounds. There was no way the USCP could do that on their own. They just don't have enough personnel to pull that off.

I'm not sure who had the Intel, but whatever agency had relevant Intel should have acted on it and shared with the relevant agencies tasked with providing security.

Imo, this was all avoidable had security been at a proper level prior to the attack.

I think he suggested that maybe 30% agreed with the insurrectionists, and he said that’s just going from proportion of the general population.

That being said, I saw a video online of an officer talking to the rioters and saying he admired them. So there were some. There were also reports that some officers showed them to certain offices when they asked. I’m sure the vast majority did their jobs honorably, but we shouldn’t pretend there wasn’t a problem that day, and it was possibly more than a couple.

There’s a reason we have not seen a lot of information from the CP, IMO.

This could go here or in the Capitol arrests thread, although so far just an investigation

I think after an extensive investigation, I'm guessing what you'll find are 2 things, 1) top brass for the USCP either ignored or missed warning signs this might happen (there were plenty) or 2) they didn't adequately prepare the guys providing security with enough support to adequately hold back the large crowd.

Let's not forget that the idiot DC mayor basically warned the national guard to stay away the day before this happened. So I do think the USCP was shorthanded from the word go on the 6th. The national guard should have been sharing security responsibilities by preventing the crowd from breaching the Capitol grounds. There was no way the USCP could do that on their own. They just don't have enough personnel to pull that off.

I'm not sure who had the Intel, but whatever agency had relevant Intel should have acted on it and shared with the relevant agencies tasked with providing security.

Imo, this was all avoidable had security been at a proper level prior to the attack.
We’ve had 20 years of FBI demonstrating rot inside of police departments
There really is no reason to give depts the benefit of the doubt if someone with any sort of insight waves a red flag

We’ve had 20 years of FBI demonstrating rot inside of police departments
There really is no reason to give depts the benefit of the doubt if someone with any sort of insight waves a red flag

I'm not sure what you're getting at. You're talking about the USCP? National Guard? Sargeant at Arms? I'm assuming USCP.

And fwiw, my comments weren't declarative about the trustworthiness of the USCP in particular. I would trust the MPD much less than the USCP though.

All USCP are federal employees and the Congress has oversight. They're subject to policies governed by Congress. The training they go through is pretty extensive, certainly beyond your typical police.

That said, I do think what happened on Jan 6th was avoidable and if the NG were supporting them, the crowd would never have made it beyond the outer perimeter.

I have a hunch some of the top brass knew there was Intel out there, but didn't take it seriously enough. I suspect that's part of why we've seen several step down.

All that said, mine is speculation and I'm really curious to see what an extensive investigation turns up.

Article on something I was actually wondering about

the language aired in the riot videos
============================
NEW YORK (AP) — All the words abounded — the ones that you’re not supposed to hear on broadcast television or, for that matter, in a lot of other places.

Former President Donald Trump’s impeachment trial last week featured explicit language rarely heard on American airwaves, particularly during a dramatic 13-minute video presented by House managers that showed scenes from the Jan. 6 Capitol riot and the enraged, violent mob that caused it.

Why was hearing that language on network television unusual? And what might it mean for the future when it comes to broadcast standards?

WHAT DID THE RIOTERS SAY?

Repeated obscenities were shouted by members of the angry and agitated pro-Trump mob as they moved toward and inside the U.S. Capitol that day. They included a chant of “f—- the blue,” apparently directed at police officers, and other swear words including “motherf——-,” as the crowd became more confrontational and violent.

They were heard on several networks, including ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, Fox News Channel and MSNBC. Often, they were seen as well; the House managers printed some of the dialogue on screens so viewers were clear about the often-muffled sounds that they were hearing.

Many of the networks bleeped out the offending language when repeating videos later, but not when they were broadcast live..............

I'm not sure what you're getting at. You're talking about the USCP? National Guard? Sargeant at Arms? I'm assuming USCP.

And fwiw, my comments weren't declarative about the trustworthiness of the USCP in particular. I would trust the MPD much less than the USCP though.

All USCP are federal employees and the Congress has oversight. They're subject to policies governed by Congress. The training they go through is pretty extensive, certainly beyond your typical police.

That said, I do think what happened on Jan 6th was avoidable and if the NG were supporting them, the crowd would never have made it beyond the outer perimeter.

I have a hunch some of the top brass knew there was Intel out there, but didn't take it seriously enough. I suspect that's part of why we've seen several step down.

All that said, mine is speculation and I'm really curious to see what an extensive investigation turns up.

Just following up on my previous comments to add that it was reported today that 6 USCP officers were suspended today. So it sounds like they're working to get to the bottom of all this.

Man, I've got more than a hunch that top brass knew shirt was going to get really ugly that day. There was a call nationwide for states to have extra security at STATE capitol buildings because of threats of violence. I believe it was the FBI that made that call in the week leading up to 1/6. There is absolutely no way that the USCP didn't know what even I knew was a good possibility just from seeing threats on social media. They had actual intelligence briefings. Trump had been laying the groundwork for this for two months straight, in public, telling them to stand back and stand by, that January 6 was "going to be wild!" and ending it by telling them all that it's a "day to remember forever."

Man, I've got more than a hunch that top brass knew shirt was going to get really ugly that day. There was a call nationwide for states to have extra security at STATE capitol buildings because of threats of violence. I believe it was the FBI that made that call in the week leading up to 1/6. There is absolutely no way that the USCP didn't know what even I knew was a good possibility just from seeing threats on social media. They had actual intelligence briefings. Trump had been laying the groundwork for this for two months straight, in public, telling them to stand back and stand by, that January 6 was "going to be wild!" and ending it by telling them all that it's a "day to remember forever."

Then-Capitol Police Chief Steven Sund, who stepped down after the attack, had asked the Capitol Police Board on Jan. 4 “to declare a state of emergency and authorize a request to secure National Guard support,” but the board denied the request, Pittman said.

That panel -- which also includes the architect of the Capitol and the Senate and House sergeants at arms -- instead suggested that Sund determine how many National Guardsman could be sent to the Capitol on short notice, if needed. Both sergeants at arms also resigned after the attack.

Good find. And interesting to see that USCP actually did request NG troops a full 2 days ahead and were denied their request. Not too surprising to see both Sergeant at Arms stepped down, probably for participating in that denial of request.

I'm curious to see a full investigation into all of this. I'm sure there's a whole lot more behind the scenes that contributed to this failure to protect the Capitol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom