Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

I knew Trump would be a terrible President, but I didn't know that his terrible term would end with soldiers sleeping on the floors of the U.S. Capitol to keep the building safe from his "base."

I'm not sure why this is surprising or stunning. The stunning part already happened last week. Having troops protecting the Capitol from those lunatics until after Biden is inaugurated is the sensible and smart thing to do. Sure, I wish we didn't need it, but thanks to Trump's shenanigans, here we are.

I'm not sure why this is surprising or stunning. The stunning part already happened last week. Having troops protecting the Capitol from those lunatics until after Biden is inaugurated is the sensible and smart thing to do. Sure, I wish we didn't need it, but thanks to Trump's shenanigans, here we are.
    Ironically, if these troops were stationed there in preparation for January 6th, there would have likely been an outcry of over-militarized response to peaceful protests, which also ironically would have likely remained peaceful due to the overwhelming military presence.

I knew Trump would be a terrible President, but I didn't know that his terrible term would end with soldiers sleeping on the floors of the U.S. Capitol to keep the building safe from his "base."

To be fair, Guard sleeping on floors while deployed is hardly new.

For Katrina, the Guard, Canadians, and others who came, actually used Michoud (the NASA site) as their base of operations, since it was a large government property that was basically and island (our ride our crew kept the pumps running and kept it from flooding).

When I was finally allowed back on site, about 6 weeks after the storm, we still had a contingent of the Guard and Army Corps of Engineers stationed on site. They took over an event room as a make shift barracks. The 'night shift' who was sleeping when we walked to lunch, was sleeping on the floor.

You take what you need on mission. Comfort isn't a need.

To be fair, Guard sleeping on floors while deployed is hardly new.

The shocking part isn't that they're sleeping on the floor; it's that they're sleeping on the floor of the United States Capitol to protect the seat of American democracy from a siege by Trumpists.

Some things are worth repeating.

and I totally didn't see it.

LOL post #1931

guess who was post #1932???

LOLOLOLOL

but yes that video is stunning. The lady with megaphone directing movement...i hope the find her too.

All of em.

LOL post #1931

guess who was post #1932???

LOLOLOLOL

but yes that video is stunning. The lady with megaphone directing movement...i hope the find her too.

All of em.
    This thread isn't quite gameday fast, but it moves. Sometimes I'm just responding to quotes, other times, I'm just swooping in and swooping out. Or I see a tweet, but can't view it until later.

Add this to the "It was planned." pile:

I didn't appreciate this. For some reason I thought that they got in the room after the riot started.

This means, someone arrived there before, days before, the day before.. maybe capitol police?

Damn..

US Attorney's office is loving this. I mean, recordings of coordination of how to get inside the building, where to to, etc.

Big balls and a small brain to record all of this.

Is that dude smoking a cigarette in a federal building!!!

200.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom