The Voting Thread (Procedures, Turnout, Legal Challenges)(Update: Trump to file suit in PA, MI, WI, AZ, NV, GA) (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Lapaz

Reaction score
    There is a lot of push-back from Trump on voting by mail, but most states allow it, and 1/3 allow it without any excuse. His rationale is that it will lead to vast fraud, but of course that isn't his real reason. His real reason is that he thinks it will be worse for conservatives, but studies have shown that states that have instituted much broader voting by mail haven't had any statistical changes in party voting.

Although, normally voting by mail doesn't affect party votes, I bet it might this year if we have another resurgence of Covid, because I think the right is much more apt to discount the virus than the left. I know that is why Trump is against it.

Whether you're left or right wing, expanding mail in votes is the right thing to do to reduce the likelihood of spreading the virus, to expand voter participation, and to make it easier for those that do show up to stay distant. It will also allow any people with susceptibilities to remain safer. I think voting by mail could be made extremely secure by having people vote using traditional postal mail, coupled with requiring a confirmation either by phone, email or text. If done by phone, then voters can provide confirmation that can include confirming their form number. If done by email or text, it can include a picture of their form, and then confirmation that that was their form. Rather than staffers individually calling people, this can be automated by having voters call the number, text the number, or email the address provided to them on their form. A website can even be created with a database of those that have voted, and perhaps a link to allow people to confirm their vote was correctly registered. For people without computers, a site can include a means to access the database over the phone with some confirmation information. These types of systems are used extensively by banks and other sites that need security, so I think they are mature enough to use. We could even use such a site for people to confirm their vote on the day of the election.

So was mine for the Texas lawsuit. I just finished writing him and both of my Senators, asking them not to lend their names to this sordid business. I appealed to them to remember their oaths to defend the Constitution and stressed that the actions proposed by Hawley, Cruz and others are being done without any credible evidence having been provided to the American public. I expect that my pleas will fall on deaf ears. Actually I know that the emails will be read by staffers and will never be seen by my elected officials. The staffers will tally the pros and cons on an issue and they will report any significant spread of the numbers. Beyond that, the email was simply me blowing off steam, since I know it was an effort with no possibility of having a desired impact.

I did say that I will never vote for someone who lends their name to this anti-democratic sedition, so maybe that will resonate with whoever reads their emails.

I did the same to the Governor here when our AG signed on to this bullshirt. Pretty sure I will get ignored for calling the lot of them cowardly and spineless. If only I knew the word 'treasonweasel' back then...

Of course John Kennedy would add his name to the list. He needs all the ammo he can get when JBE comes for his Senate seat or he has to face Jeff Landry for governor.

I cannot take credit for ”treasonweasel”, I saw that in Mike Dunford’s Twitter feed.

also, Tom Cotton has come out and opposed the senators who are going to “object” on Wednesday. Hmmm, wonder if he was swayed by the Trump shakedown of GA secretary of state?

From all ten living former secretaries of defense
    ===========================

As former secretaries of defense, we hold a common view of the solemn obligations of the U.S. armed forces and the Defense Department. Each of us swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. We did not swear it to an individual or a party.

American elections and the peaceful transfers of power that result are hallmarks of our democracy. With one singular and tragic exception that cost the lives of more Americans than all of our other wars combined, the United States has had an unbroken record of such transitions since 1789, including in times of partisan strife, war, epidemics and economic depression. This year should be no exception.

Our elections have occurred. Recounts and audits have been conducted. Appropriate challenges have been addressed by the courts. Governors have certified the results. And the electoral college has voted.

The time for questioning the results has passed; the time for the formal counting of the electoral college votes, as prescribed in the Constitution and statute, has arrived.

As senior Defense Department leaders have noted, “there’s no role for the U.S. military in determining the outcome of a U.S. election.” Efforts to involve the U.S. armed forces in resolving election disputes would take us into dangerous, unlawful and unconstitutional territory.

Civilian and military officials who direct or carry out such measures would be accountable, including potentially facing criminal penalties, for the grave consequences of their actions on our republic............

From all ten living former secretaries of defense
    ===========================

As former secretaries of defense, we hold a common view of the solemn obligations of the U.S. armed forces and the Defense Department. Each of us swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. We did not swear it to an individual or a party.

American elections and the peaceful transfers of power that result are hallmarks of our democracy. With one singular and tragic exception that cost the lives of more Americans than all of our other wars combined, the United States has had an unbroken record of such transitions since 1789, including in times of partisan strife, war, epidemics and economic depression. This year should be no exception.

Our elections have occurred. Recounts and audits have been conducted. Appropriate challenges have been addressed by the courts. Governors have certified the results. And the electoral college has voted.

The time for questioning the results has passed; the time for the formal counting of the electoral college votes, as prescribed in the Constitution and statute, has arrived.

As senior Defense Department leaders have noted, “there’s no role for the U.S. military in determining the outcome of a U.S. election.” Efforts to involve the U.S. armed forces in resolving election disputes would take us into dangerous, unlawful and unconstitutional territory.

Civilian and military officials who direct or carry out such measures would be accountable, including potentially facing criminal penalties, for the grave consequences of their actions on our republic............

Only if it doesn't work.

When you're on the winning side of a coup, you're Generalissimo for life.

History will be unforgiving all right, just not in the way he thinks
    ===============================================

GOP Rep. Brian Babin, a staunch ally of President Donald Trump, expressed on Saturday that "history will be unforgiving" to any congressional Republican who doesn't back a challenge to the Electoral College certification of President-elect Joe Biden's win on Jan. 6................

GOP Rep. Brian Babin says 'history will be unforgiving' to Republicans who don't support a challenge to the 2020 presidential election (msn.com)

So, apparently, my long time local deaf friend's brother is coming into town to attend a Trump rally in DC on the 6th. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

A little back story. Long time deaf friend is a neighbor and we've known her since before my wife and I married over 20 years ago. She is also disabled with CP, so we've helped her a lot over the years with transportation, taking care of her home and what not. She's been a great friend over the years, but she has a massive blind spot when it comes to politics. She hates all things Democrat and reads stuff like Orly Taitz and Gateway Pundit. She's never mentioned or talked about QAnon though. She loves Trump and thinks he can do no wrong. She hoping next week will be a great start to the new year. Clearly she thinks Trump will somehow be awarded the election by Congress. I don't ever argue with her. She knows what I think.

Her brother is also a big Trump supporter, and he's coming here from Wisconsin to attend the rally. He got Covid last November and has apparently fully recovered. I fully expect he and his group traveling with him will not be wearing masks and I'm not entirely sure, but at least him, and maybe all of his friends will be staying at her place. This is making me pretty nervous because my friend hasn't gotten Covid, and I think a case of Covid for her would be deadly. They're gonna go to this rally, and I would not be surprised if it happens that they get her infected. I think I'm gonna have to avoid her for 14 days, if I can. We have her visit my home usually once a week. I'm hoping she avoids it entirely, but I think I'm gonna go ahead and pretend I'm sick to avoid her, lol.

So, a quick note. My friend's brother called her yesterday. Told her their group changed plans and they're all piling into a bus for the trip here from Wisconsin and they'll be staying at a hotel in DC. I'm sorta holding out hope my friend decides to stay home. She wants to go meet up with them for the rally in DC and I tried to talk her out of it. She seemed to be wavering a bit, so we'll see.

But, these dummies coming into town for a Trump rally just bothers me. There's nothing there on the 6th. I just don't understand people sometimes. The obsession with Trump even after it's clear he's lost is ugh!

I can't wait til all of this is in the rear view mirror.

Someone should start a tweet storm against all those who try to undermine the legal election

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom