The Voting Thread (Procedures, Turnout, Legal Challenges)(Update: Trump to file suit in PA, MI, WI, AZ, NV, GA) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Lapaz

Reaction score
    There is a lot of push-back from Trump on voting by mail, but most states allow it, and 1/3 allow it without any excuse. His rationale is that it will lead to vast fraud, but of course that isn't his real reason. His real reason is that he thinks it will be worse for conservatives, but studies have shown that states that have instituted much broader voting by mail haven't had any statistical changes in party voting.

Although, normally voting by mail doesn't affect party votes, I bet it might this year if we have another resurgence of Covid, because I think the right is much more apt to discount the virus than the left. I know that is why Trump is against it.

Whether you're left or right wing, expanding mail in votes is the right thing to do to reduce the likelihood of spreading the virus, to expand voter participation, and to make it easier for those that do show up to stay distant. It will also allow any people with susceptibilities to remain safer. I think voting by mail could be made extremely secure by having people vote using traditional postal mail, coupled with requiring a confirmation either by phone, email or text. If done by phone, then voters can provide confirmation that can include confirming their form number. If done by email or text, it can include a picture of their form, and then confirmation that that was their form. Rather than staffers individually calling people, this can be automated by having voters call the number, text the number, or email the address provided to them on their form. A website can even be created with a database of those that have voted, and perhaps a link to allow people to confirm their vote was correctly registered. For people without computers, a site can include a means to access the database over the phone with some confirmation information. These types of systems are used extensively by banks and other sites that need security, so I think they are mature enough to use. We could even use such a site for people to confirm their vote on the day of the election.

There is some pretty interesting conversation about the US Supreme Court weighing in on the PA state constitution. And how Barrett would have probably made the outcome different. It’s a whole thread.

Good write up.

If the printing company is also printing the addresses, then it’s not very blind at all. It may be automated, though.

in my limit knowledge, I think blind in that the printing company doesn't know the party affiliation of the people they are printing and mailing these to... I assume printing in that bulk quantity, it is mostly automated, but I really don't know how it actually works

Oh, I agree they wouldn’t know party affiliation, but sadly today physical location can be a good proxy for party affiliation.

The attack on the ballot dropbox in California, for example, took place in a neighborhood that is 80% Latin by population. I think it’s a safe assumption that most of the destroyed ballots were voting for democrats.

Location would be enough knowledge to give them a decent idea about the party affiliation.

Oh, I agree they wouldn’t know party affiliation, but sadly today physical location can be a good proxy for party affiliation.

The attack on the ballot dropbox in California, for example, took place in a neighborhood that is 80% Latin by population. I think it’s a safe assumption that most of the destroyed ballots were voting for democrats.

Location would be enough knowledge to give them a decent idea about the party affiliation.

This.

Has it been determined who set it on fire? I would think that's relevant. I don't know, just asking.

Glad I live in Lakeview which is the only Republican area of New Orleans. Not that it ever really would matter in LA since we'll never vote blue statewide for federal elections again (Mary Landrieu was a complete outlier) because the rest of the state is so dark red it's damn near black.

Sometimes I got to just give Louisiana a big ol' facepalm. At one point we had Edwin Edwards vs David Duke in a gubernatorial runoff. Was that really the BEST the state could come up with? :facepalm:
    Then we had people like Bobby "Jingle Bells" (my nickname for him), who sunk the state in billions of debt.
    I think John Bel Edwards is decent, but he isn't really a (D). I was shocked he won against David Vitter, but I guess DV was THAT MUCH universally reviled lol. I was even more surprised when JBE won his second term.

Sometimes I got to just give Louisiana a big ol' facepalm. At one point we had Edwin Edwards vs David Duke in a gubernatorial runoff. Was that really the BEST the state could come up with? :facepalm:
    Then we had people like Bobby "Jingle Bells" (my nickname for him), who sunk the state in billions of debt.
    I think John Bel Edwards is decent, but he isn't really a (D). I was shocked he won against David Vitter, but I guess DV was THAT MUCH universally reviled lol. I was even more surprised when JBE won his second term.

I think the voters realized during the re-election campaign that JBE wasn't as much a liberal Dem that Trump and Rispone made him out to be.

I think the voters realized during the re-election campaign that JBE wasn't as much a liberal Dem that Trump and Rispone made him out to be.
    Absolutely. And they/we also realized that Rispone was a complete moron and at least Edwards has been competent. He did finally sign tort reform passed by the legislation to lower auto insurance rates (even though it wasn't the full reform we were pushing for) and expanded Medicaid the second he got into office after Jindal refused to. He's definitely further right than I'd like anyone claiming to be a Democrat to be, but he ain't that awful.

He kinda reminds me of Foster as a Republican (which he really only claimed because he was being discounted as a candidate and then people took him seriously, IIRC).

He kinda reminds me of Foster as a Republican (which he really only claimed because he was being discounted as a candidate and then people took him seriously, IIRC).
    Christ on a cracker, I can't believe I was paying attention to politics at 14/15 years old. (Just looked up what year he ran and was elected.)

Glad I live in Lakeview which is the only Republican area of New Orleans. Not that it ever really would matter in LA since we'll never vote blue statewide for federal elections again (Mary Landrieu was a complete outlier) because the rest of the state is so dark red it's damn near black.
    I also live in Lakeview and found it kind of interesting that I've seen as many Biden signs (if not more) than Trump signs. Of course, the vast majority of houses have either no signs at all or limit their signs to candidates in local elections.

Christ on a cracker, I can't believe I was paying attention to politics at 14/15 years old. (Just looked up what year he ran and was elected.)
    The first election I recall was the 1988 election. I remember watching some debates, I recall quite a bit of what was going on. I think I know more from the 1992 election, but in 1988 I was 8 years old. crazy, huh?

I also live in Lakeview and found it kind of interesting that I've seen as many Biden signs (if not more) than Trump signs. Of course, the vast majority of houses have either no signs at all or limit their signs to candidates in local elections.
    I've noticed that too but I really think the Trump voters are just remaining in the closet this time around since he's such an embarrassment.

I've noticed that too but I really think the Trump voters are just remaining in the closet this time around since he's such an embarrassment.
    I don’t think Trump supporters care about what other people think, otherwise they wouldn’t support a man who doesn’t care what people think.

I don’t think Trump supporters care about what other people think, otherwise they wouldn’t support a man who doesn’t care what people think.
    Lakeview has been a huge target for property crimes like entire blocks of smashed car windows without anything being stolen. And also car break ins looking for the easy shirt like guns and money. I'm in a little duck off spot off Milne and Polk on a street you kinda have to know exists to even find so I've never been hit, but the other side of Harrison gets it on the regular. I think people won't put up signs and have stickers on their cars so their shirt doesn't get destroyed. I know that's why my dad doesn't have any of that Trump garbage in front of his house or on his car and he's safe with it in Old Metairie. Then again, it's bad business to advertise your political beliefs too and he loves his money more than anything on this planet.

Just my theory.

Welp...first in line to early vote today. I've spoken to someone at this location every day since Friday and it's 100 people long by 7:15 or so which translates to an hour wait after the sun is up and it's still just as humid. I wonder if a red white and blue "Make Orwell Fiction Again" t-shirt is considered a political statement.

:p

About to go post up by the door.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom