The Voting Thread (Procedures, Turnout, Legal Challenges)(Update: Trump to file suit in PA, MI, WI, AZ, NV, GA) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Lapaz

Reaction score
    There is a lot of push-back from Trump on voting by mail, but most states allow it, and 1/3 allow it without any excuse. His rationale is that it will lead to vast fraud, but of course that isn't his real reason. His real reason is that he thinks it will be worse for conservatives, but studies have shown that states that have instituted much broader voting by mail haven't had any statistical changes in party voting.

Although, normally voting by mail doesn't affect party votes, I bet it might this year if we have another resurgence of Covid, because I think the right is much more apt to discount the virus than the left. I know that is why Trump is against it.

Whether you're left or right wing, expanding mail in votes is the right thing to do to reduce the likelihood of spreading the virus, to expand voter participation, and to make it easier for those that do show up to stay distant. It will also allow any people with susceptibilities to remain safer. I think voting by mail could be made extremely secure by having people vote using traditional postal mail, coupled with requiring a confirmation either by phone, email or text. If done by phone, then voters can provide confirmation that can include confirming their form number. If done by email or text, it can include a picture of their form, and then confirmation that that was their form. Rather than staffers individually calling people, this can be automated by having voters call the number, text the number, or email the address provided to them on their form. A website can even be created with a database of those that have voted, and perhaps a link to allow people to confirm their vote was correctly registered. For people without computers, a site can include a means to access the database over the phone with some confirmation information. These types of systems are used extensively by banks and other sites that need security, so I think they are mature enough to use. We could even use such a site for people to confirm their vote on the day of the election.

The first election I recall was the 1988 election. I remember watching some debates, I recall quite a bit of what was going on. I think I know more from the 1992 election, but in 1988 I was 8 years old. crazy, huh?

I can actually remember my Dad taking me into the voting booth for the 1980 election, and seeing him pull the lever for Jimmy Carter over Ronald Reagan.. i would have been 5 or 6 yrs old, but it was a great introduction to the Democratic process, and also a lesson in how to handle disappointment.. then i vividly remember watching the returns coming in on TV for the 1984 election, and how state after state went Reagan, with the lone exception of Mondale’s home state of Minnesota going to him.. That was the night i learned the term ‘landslide’... Then in the 1988 election, i was in high school and very engaged, watching the debates between Dukakis and Bush, as well as the conventions- my most indelible memory is Bill Clinton speaking at the DNC; it was the first time I, and most people, ever heard of him- then I remember him going on the Johnny Carson show a week or two later.. I also remember visiting family in NOLA that summer (we’d moved away a couple yrs earlier) and getting a glimpse of Reagan in his limousine outside of the Westin during the RNC- he obviously wasnt running again but was speaking there, i think... Fast forward 4 yrs to ‘92, and i cast my first-ever vote for President for a guy named ‘H Ross Perot’... Lol... Hey, at least it showed, then and now , that i am not beholden to ANY political party. :9:

I can actually remember my Dad taking me into the voting booth for the 1980 election, and seeing him pull the lever for Jimmy Carter over Ronald Reagan.. i would have been 5 or 6 yrs old, but it was a great introduction to the Democratic process, and also a lesson in how to handle disappointment.. then i vividly remember watching the returns coming in on TV for the 1984 election, and how state after state went Reagan, with the lone exception of Mondale’s home state of Minnesota going to him.. That was the night i learned the term ‘landslide’... Then in the 1988 election, i was in high school and very engaged, watching the debates between Dukakis and Bush, as well as the conventions- my most indelible memory is Bill Clinton speaking at the DNC; it was the first time I, and most people, ever heard of him- then I remember him going on the Johnny Carson show a week or two later.. I also remember visiting family in NOLA that summer (we’d moved away a couple yrs earlier) and getting a glimpse of Reagan in his limousine outside of the Westin during the RNC- he obviously wasnt running again but was speaking there, i think... Fast forward 4 yrs to ‘92, and i cast my first-ever vote for President for a guy named ‘H Ross Perot’... Lol... Hey, at least it showed, then and now , that i am not beholden to ANY political party. :9:

I voted for Perot too. I thought I was rocking the vote! :hihi:

Was not old enough to vote for Perot but wanted him to win. He was actually leading in the polls prior to dropping out over the summer then getting back into the race. Still, 19% is an insanely high figure for a third party candidate.

A lot of Trump supporters try to compare him to Perot but they were nothing alike (from a policy standpoint, Perot was Pro-Choice). Ignoring the fact that Perot was a self-made (and actual) billionaire he also had great compassion. His contributions and efforts to rescue Vietnam POWs are well documented. However, I think the story he relays at the end of this interview speaks volumes of the values that were instilled in him at a young age:

(Starts at 28:05 if the time-jump link doesn't work.)

Was not old enough to vote for Perot but wanted him to win. He was actually leading in the polls prior to dropping out over the summer then getting back into the race. Still, 19% is an insanely high figure for a third party candidate.

A lot of Trump supporters try to compare him to Perot but they were nothing alike (from a policy standpoint, Perot was Pro-Choice). Ignoring the fact that Perot was a self-made (and actual) billionaire he also had great compassion. His contributions and efforts to rescue Vietnam POWs are well documented. However, I think the story he relays at the end of this interview speaks volumes of the values that were instilled in him at a young age:

(Starts at 28:05 if the time-jump link doesn't work.)

Perot and Trump absolutely couldn't be any more different.

Perot was incredibly humble and down to Earth. A few years ago I was up at the Dell offices in Dallas. Ross Perot still ate in the lunchroom with everyone else every single day. He was completely open to anyone coming up to him and talking. I was encouraged to go talk to him, but I couldn't bring myself to interrupt a man while he was eating.

Perot was also a real wonk. The dude loved discussing the details, often too much. His charts were a running joke for Ross Perot caricatures. Trump can't give any details on anything. He's been promising "great healthcare" for 5 years with absolutely no details. By now Ross Perot would have had 23 charts, quotes and analysis from 15 experts, and every time you tried to interrupt him explaining it he'd tell you "now just wait one minute, ok? Just one minute. Now if you look at this chart..."

Last edited:
    Perot and Trump absolutely couldn't be any more different.

Perot was incredibly humble and down to Earth. A few years ago I was up at the Dell offices in Dallas. Ross Perot still ate in the lunchroom with everyone else every single day. He was completely open to anyone coming up to him and talking. I was encouraged to go talk to him, but I couldn't bring myself to interrupt a man while he was eating.

Perot was also a real wonk. The dude loved discussing the details, often too much. His charts were a running joke for Ross Perot caricatures. Trump can't give any details on anything. He's been promising "great healthcare" for 5 years with absolutely no details. By now Ross Perot would have had 23 charts, quotes and analysis from 15 experts, and every time you tried to interrupt him explaining it he'd tell you "now just wait one minute, ok? Just one minute. Now if you look at this chart..."

The charts, wonkishness and his personality always drew me in. I'm a visual oriented person and like being able to sort of see what's happening, and Perot fed into that. And he seemed like a genuine guy who cared. Not something you ordinarily associate with someone as wealthy as he was. I often wonder if he had gotten elected, how the parties would have changed. The traditional 2 party system would have been turned on its head, I think.

In the hallway near Perot's office was a wooden walking stick inside glass. It was Osama Bin Laden's walking stick. The special forces troops who killed Bin Laden respected Perot so much they gave him the cane.

In contrast, the POTUS retweeted a conspiracy theory last week that those guys didn't actually kill Bin Laden and Biden had them killed to cover that up.

Yeah, Trump and Ross Perot have next to nothing in common.

X7WGMZM7BESD52NUY2XXUPGVWU.jpg

In the hallway near Perot's office was a wooden walking stick inside glass. It was Osama Bin Laden's walking stick. The special forces troops who killed Bin Laden respected Perot so much they gave him the cane.

In contrast, the POTUS retweeted a conspiracy theory last week that those guys didn't actually kill Bin Laden and Biden had them killed to cover that up.

Yeah, Trump and Ross Perot have next to nothing in common.

X7WGMZM7BESD52NUY2XXUPGVWU.jpg

I want to say I read that somewhere about OBL's cane. That's really interesting. I'll have to see of i can find a story on that.

I wonder what the timeline looks like where Ross Perot didn't drop out and actually won in 1992 is like. I bet they have flying cars, legal weed and they have solved homelessness and world hunger.

As opposed to here.

BlandCookedIndigowingedparrot-max-1mb.gif

I want to say I read that somewhere about OBL's cane. That's really interesting. I'll have to see of i can find a story on that.

There are quite a few stories on it. I had never heard about it until I saw it personally. I asked someone if it was a replica and was told it was the real deal and so was all the other stuff. The hallways are lined with things honoring the military, much of it gifts to Perot from service members.

There are quite a few stories on it. I had never heard about it until I saw it personally. I asked someone if it was a replica and was told it was the real deal and so was all the other stuff. The hallways are lined with things honoring the military, much of it gifts to Perot from service members.

So I looked and couldn't find it, but do you know where it's located now? All I can find is Perot Museum of Science and Natural History and I don't think it's there. I'm assuming it's in Dallas. Would love to visit in person if it's open to the public.

So I looked and couldn't find it, but do you know where it's located now? All I can find is Perot Museum of Science and Natural History and I don't think it's there. I'm assuming it's in Dallas. Would love to visit in person if it's open to the public.

The last I saw it was in the hallway at Dell near his office. I didn't even know it had been moved.

I don't recall threatening emails being sent to voters in 2016.

Some person from the FBI is on tv right now saying it is coming from Russia and Iran and people should not vote for it, b/c they are trying to undermine the election etc

I don't recall threatening emails being sent to voters in 2016.

Feds just announced Iran and Russia actively working to undermine... This is one of their tactics per announcement

Some person from the FBI is on tv right now saying it is coming from Russia and Iran and people should not vote for it, b/c they are trying to undermine the election etc
    Feds just announced Iran and Russia actively working to undermine... This is one of their tactics per announcement
    That it didn't come from the Proud Boys was a given to me. I figured whoever actually sent it wasn't going to sign their name to it.

Sending threatening emails like this is still a new tactic as far as I know.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom