The Voting Thread (Procedures, Turnout, Legal Challenges)(Update: Trump to file suit in PA, MI, WI, AZ, NV, GA) (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Lapaz

Reaction score
    There is a lot of push-back from Trump on voting by mail, but most states allow it, and 1/3 allow it without any excuse. His rationale is that it will lead to vast fraud, but of course that isn't his real reason. His real reason is that he thinks it will be worse for conservatives, but studies have shown that states that have instituted much broader voting by mail haven't had any statistical changes in party voting.

Although, normally voting by mail doesn't affect party votes, I bet it might this year if we have another resurgence of Covid, because I think the right is much more apt to discount the virus than the left. I know that is why Trump is against it.

Whether you're left or right wing, expanding mail in votes is the right thing to do to reduce the likelihood of spreading the virus, to expand voter participation, and to make it easier for those that do show up to stay distant. It will also allow any people with susceptibilities to remain safer. I think voting by mail could be made extremely secure by having people vote using traditional postal mail, coupled with requiring a confirmation either by phone, email or text. If done by phone, then voters can provide confirmation that can include confirming their form number. If done by email or text, it can include a picture of their form, and then confirmation that that was their form. Rather than staffers individually calling people, this can be automated by having voters call the number, text the number, or email the address provided to them on their form. A website can even be created with a database of those that have voted, and perhaps a link to allow people to confirm their vote was correctly registered. For people without computers, a site can include a means to access the database over the phone with some confirmation information. These types of systems are used extensively by banks and other sites that need security, so I think they are mature enough to use. We could even use such a site for people to confirm their vote on the day of the election.

Interesting that she actually got him to say things in clear, unambiguous terms that could get him on perjury.
    All that's needed is a paper trail where he directs these changes to occur or officially lets them proceed.

Man she is a rockstar at that stuff. Yeah she is a mom but she has taken all kinds of people to the woodshed with her mom like grilling questions.

She is basically tore Jamie Dimon Jp Morgan CEO a new hole.

If you have not seen it do.

She is the future studied law under Elizabeth Warren at Harvard. The mortgage settlement Harris talks about Porter was appointed to monitor the banks.

Last edited:
    The House passed a bill Saturday that would provide $25 billion to support U.S. Postal Service operations and prevent the agency from making a variety of operational changes in the runup to the election.

DeJoy, told the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee Friday that he doesn’t want the funds that the bill would provide, despite the fact that the Postal Service Board of Governors had requested that amount earlier this year. “If we just throw $25 billion at us this year and we don’t do anything, we’ll be back in two years,”

The White House threatened to veto the bill last week, and Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) said he does not plan to take it up in the Senate.

(Ol' turtle mitch doing god's work)

The House passed a bill Saturday that would provide $25 billion to support U.S. Postal Service operations and prevent the agency from making a variety of operational changes in the runup to the election.

DeJoy, told the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee Friday that he doesn’t want the funds that the bill would provide, despite the fact that the Postal Service Board of Governors had requested that amount earlier this year. “If we just throw $25 billion at us this year and we don’t do anything, we’ll be back in two years,”

The White House threatened to veto the bill last week, and Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) said he does not plan to take it up in the Senate.

Just as importantly as getting rid of Trump is flipping the Senate. Having both houses of Congress even if Trump gets reelected could be like the last years of Obama. I'd prefer to just get all three, but the House and Senate would be a good consolation prize if he manages to steal this election.

I still can't believe the turtle hasn't acted at all on the intelligence about Russia interfering in 2016 even if just for show. He's pretty much endorsed - even encouraged - their interference this time around.

Good old Mitch putting his head back in his shell.

That is a man that needs to be unemployed worse than anything!

Pulling for McGrath but she is way behind.

Polls that have come out today show a bit of tightening in the battleground states... Biden up only 3 in Pennsylvania and Florida, 2 in Arizona, and 1 in NC... no one should fool themselves into believing that Biden is anywhere near wrapping this up.

Polls that have come out today show a bit of tightening in the battleground states... Biden up only 3 in Pennsylvania and Florida, 2 in Arizona, and 1 in NC... no one should fool themselves into believing that Biden is anywhere near wrapping this up.

Seriously. After 2016, any Biden supporter (or someone who just wants to get rid of Trump) should be treating it as if Biden were down 20+ points nationwide. I really don't think I can handle another debacle from the Democrats like 2016.

If the Republicans are going to call Biden out for not traveling and campaigning (with Democrats behind the scenes doing it too) he needs to get his arse on a plane and start hitting and re-hitting every single battleground state in the country. He can gladly skip the unwinnable states, but he cannot make the same mistake Clinton made by not showing up in person to talk to and listen to these people in very important battleground states.

Any poll that has Trump within five points has to be treated like it's a dead heat. Polls can't adjust for the effects of voter suppression.

In danger of thread jacking my own thread, but why is it legal for the Senate to ignore bills that have been passed by the House? There should be a law that requires each chamber of congress to act on bills. Perhaps the law could require a supermajority to pass a bill in a chamber to force being taken up in another chamber, that would make it less likely for weak and overtly political bills to force action.

In danger of thread jacking my own thread, but why is it legal for the Senate to ignore bills that have been passed by the House? There should be a law that requires each chamber of congress to act on bills. Perhaps the law could require a supermajority to pass a bill in a chamber to force being taken up in another chamber, that would make it less likely for weak and overtly political bills to force action.

Here is an article from February where he admitted to squashing 395.

That dude is horrible. He needs to go.

Trafalgar Group out with polls in the last few days that show Trump up + 2 in Michigan and up + 1 in Wisconsin.. In their final 2016 Michigan poll they correctly had Trump winning and what they do is try to account for the "silent" Trump voters not detected in other polling. They claim there are more silent Trump voters out there this go 'round.

Trafalgar Group out with polls in the last few days that show Trump up + 2 in Michigan and up + 1 in Wisconsin.. In their final 2016 Michigan poll they correctly had Trump winning and what they do is try to account for the "silent" Trump voters not detected in other polling. They claim there are more silent Trump voters out there this go 'round.
    The violent protests are a huge boon for Trump's re-election.

The violent protests are a huge boon for Trump's re-election.
    I think so too... It's amazing that it's taken this long for Democrats to realize that that was likely to occur..

I think it's pretty likely that we've already seen the upper threshold of Biden's support, and I'd expect things to be pretty tight through the stretch run here.

I think so too... It's amazing that it's taken this long for Democrats to realize that that was likely to occur..

I think it's pretty likely that we've already seen the upper threshold of Biden's support, and I'd expect things to be pretty tight through the stretch run here.
    Trumps handling of the violence is what tanked his numbers back in June. Americans have a short memory so when this dies down in a couple weeks, it won’t make a difference.
    Trump needs nothing critical happen in the next two months that requires a unified message or leadership for him to win.

Trafalgar is interesting, and I think the race is closer than most people seem to assume. What's the rationale for there being more "silent" voters now than back then? I clicked on the report, but it didn't have an explanation. Their Senatorial race split was also a statistical outlier compared to others.

Is there the same "silent majority" for James (R) than Peters (D)? Their difference from the other polls is statistically the same for Trump and James. Does that mean that people are as likely to be "silent" voting for James as they are for Trump? They must be, for that correlation, I would assume.

Trafalgar is interesting, and I think the race is closer than most people seem to assume. What's the rationale for there being more "silent" voters now than back then? I clicked on the report, but it didn't have an explanation. Their Senatorial race split was also a statistical outlier compared to others.

Is there the same "silent majority" for James (R) than Peters (D)? Their difference from the other polls is statistically the same for Trump and James. Does that mean that people are as likely to be "silent" voting for James as they are for Trump? They must be, for that correlation, I would assume.
    I haven't seen what their rationale is for saying the silent Trump supporter is more prevalent this time... And you make a good point about the other race and the poll numbers there.. my gut instinct is that there are not many more silent Trump supporters than last time, but who knows.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom