The Joe Biden 2020 tracker thread (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Wondering how much Bloomberg paid for supporters to cheer for him in the audience

A few weeks ago some of the conventional wisdom seemed to be that Bloomberg's candidacy was an effort to stop Sanders.
    What could happen, though, is that Bloomberg's money could enable Sanders to sweep or almost sweep Super Tuesday. This could happen if Biden pulls off a win in South Carolina. Biden becomes instantly viable again and poised to have a strong showing on Super Tuesday - but Bloomberg's constant ads have gotten him a small, but substantial amount of support, much of which could have gone to Biden.

A few weeks ago some of the conventional wisdom seemed to be that Bloomberg's candidacy was an effort to stop Sanders.
    What could happen, though, is that Bloomberg's money could enable Sanders to sweep or almost sweep Super Tuesday. This could happen if Biden pulls off a win in South Carolina. Biden becomes instantly viable again and poised to have a strong showing on Super Tuesday - but Bloomberg's constant ads have gotten him a small, but substantial amount of support, much of which could have gone to Biden.
    I don't think South Carolina is going to help Biden have a stronger showing than what he is currently polling at in Super Tuesday states, but South Carolina may help him stop the bleeding. I think Bloomberg and Sanders are going to win most of the delegates.

Since I expect that to happen, I think Bloomberg will almost guarantee that the convention will be brokered. The question of who can cobble together the majority is the big question. The people Bloomberg is attracting are not coming from Bernie. They are coming from Biden, Klobachar, Buttigieg and Steyer. Once it’s brokered, the Biden, Bloomberg and Klobuchar delegates will caucus together. Sanders and Warren delegates will caucus together. The Buttigieg delegates will primarily caucus with the Bloomberg group, and the Steyer delegates will probably break mostly for Bloomberg as well. I think Bloomberg will either have the plurality or 2nd most going in to the convention, and once the other moderates caucus with him, I think he will have the majority.

I was a Bernie supporter in 2016, but I've decided to support the more moderate candidates which I think have the better chance of beating Trump. Bloomberg seems to be the best of that bunch. A concern I have about Sanders being the Democratic candidate is less about suppressing turnout, and more about people wanting to check his leftist positions by keeping more Republicans in office. Sanders will definitely help the moderate Republican congressmen as a result. The flip side is if Bloomberg is the Democratic candidate, then I think some people may think he needs to be checked by democrats, so he could actually hurt the moderate Republican congressmen. I think Bloomberg gives democrats the best chance of winning both houses of congress and the presidency, and I feel comfortable with Bloomberg's platform becoming law, because it is a moderately progressive platform.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom