The Joe Biden 2020 tracker thread (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Glass houses, you all, glass houses. I’d be happy to compare the behavior of Trump versus any democratic candidate for president. Well, except Williamson, I guess.
    I'd include her, too. At least she isn't mean.

With the departure of Harris, the ethnic diversity plank in the party platform is now being used as a paddle.

“How can we be the party of social justice, how can we be the party of black voters, how can we be the party of change, if we are not embracing the shifts happening in our electorate and demographics?” said Jessica Morales Rocketto, executive director of Care in Action, a nonprofit group that advocates for domestic workers. Democrats, she added, “should feel ashamed of ourselves.”

McClatchy notes that leaves five nonwhite candidates: Sen. Cory Booker of New Jersey, entrepreneur Andrew Yang, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii, former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julian Castro, and former Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick.
    This is the idiocy of the Democratic Party.

"Let's pursue the minority vote!"

Guys, the minority vote, BY DEFINITION is the losing vote.
    Do any of you understand math?

Well Elizabeth Warren really struggles to connect.

WARNING: NSFW due to gratuitous dropping of the F-Bomb.

Well Elizabeth Warren really struggles to connect.

WARNING: NSFW due to gratuitous dropping of the F-Bomb.
    What I saw in the video was a blatantly biased interpretation of events by a few critics.

It remains to be seen how well Warren connects with the general public or not. We won't know that until late spring.

And what is Yang thinking? At least he has one handler who recognizes a trainwreck when he sees it.

Yeah perhaps. Might be part of why she couldn’t get much appeal going. I think her history as an inconsistent prosecutor was problematic.

this probably isn't he right thread for a discussion on the candidates, as it is the mirror to the Trump tracker to point out gaffe's and missteps.

But..

What happened to Harris? I wrote an article in early October, after she had gradually dropped to mid single digits in most polls, trying to explain her decline. The most plausible theories, in my view, were:

1. Democratic voters were not looking for an Obama-style candidate running more on charisma and personality than on policy.
    2. Biden, Sanders and Warren were just strong rivals. In particular, Biden’s strength among black voters and Warren’s support among college-educated whites boxed Harris out among two groups she really needed.
    3. Harris herself had not been an ideal candidate. At times, she struggled to explain her policy stances and her reasons for running for president.
    4. And finally, Harris, as a woman of color (she is the daughter of Indian and Jamaican immigrants), faced extra high hurdles with a Democratic Party that’s focused on each candidate’s perceived ability to defeat President Trump. Many voters view nominating a woman as a risky bet in a general election.
    Those explanations still ring largely true to me — but not fully.

Harris dropping out now surprised me. I expected she would stay in the race at least through Iowa and perhaps even New Hampshire, and drop out if she had poor showings in those contests. There has been a lot of reporting about infighting in her campaign and struggles to raise money, so I suspect those were the main factors driving her to drop out before any voting has taken place. Put simply, she may have run out of money, as Harris herself hinted in a post on Medium describing her decision to leave the race. Also, her poll numbers have been pretty steadily declining.

Well now that's an interesting take. I don't think Pressley, who was there, would agree with it though judging by the fact she ran on stage to save Warren.
    They're on the campaign trail together. I'm pretty sure they'd have talked about this to some degree.

I think Democrats are just more sensitive towards trying to (I'm going to make up a term) "white splain" things to Black people, where it's better to have someone black push back.

“I know everyone wants to be heard,” she said, “and that’s a good thing.”

She then attempted to resume her speech, but was soon interrupted again.

Pressley, who had introduced Warren, eventually returned to the stage.

“I want to say something,” Pressley said. “No one is here to quiet you — at least not this black woman who knows what it is when people try to put me in a corner and tell me to be quiet.”

Don't get me wrong, I can totally see it as Pressley saving the day. I agree there. I'm not sure it's because Warren isn't "connecting" there. It was a planned protest. They would interrupt anyone. And she's not going to tell a bunch of black folks to "shush up now". That's what she has her black friend for.

Don't get me wrong, I can totally see it as Pressley saving the day. I agree there. I'm not sure it's because Warren isn't "connecting" there. It was a planned protest. They would interrupt anyone. And she's not going to tell a bunch of black folks to "shush up now". That's what she has her black friend for.
    That really sounds pathetic. Does there exist a substantial group of Democrats who think only people of the same race can have honest discussions?

Telling people to shut up is an honest conversation?
    It doesn't necessarily have to be "shut up"
    Warren is the candidate. Why the need to bring Presley out there in order to address the protesters? If Warren wanted to listen to the protestors then she should have waived Pressly off. Instead, she looks pitiful not addressing the crowd and instead relying on her surrogate because Pressley is black and the protestors are black.

It doesn't necessarily have to be "shut up"
    Warren is the candidate. Why the need to bring Presley out there in order to address the protesters? If Warren wanted to listen to the protestors then she should have waived Pressly off. Instead, she looks pitiful not addressing the crowd and instead relying on her surrogate because Pressley is black and the protestors are black.

I think it is just a "sign of the times" type deal. It's either that, or the Facebook/Twitter barrage of "white woman telling black people to shut up".

On side note, these "protests" don't accomplish anything other than, at best derail, at worst sabotage the people who could actually help those "protesting".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom