Supreme Court Says Rejected Asylum Seekers Have No Right to Object in Court (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

BobE

Guv'nor
    Reaction score
    WASHINGTON — In a victory for the Trump administration, the Supreme Court ruled on Thursday that immigrants whose requests for asylum were rejected in bare-bone summary proceedings may not contest the denials in federal court. The case, which concerns the fundamental question of who is entitled to seek habeas corpus, will affect thousands of asylum seekers.

The vote was 7 to 2. Justices Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan dissented.
    The case concerned Vijayakumar Thuraissigiam, a member of Sri Lanka’s Tamil ethnic minority who was apprehended about 25 yards north of the Mexican border near San Ysidro, Calif.
    He sought asylum, saying he would face a credible fear of persecution if he were returned to Sri Lanka. His request was considered under “expedited removal” procedures called for by a 1996 law that streamlined asylum applications from people caught near the border and barred courts from reviewing most aspects of the determinations made under the procedures.

Mr. Thuraissigiam, a farmer, told an asylum officer that he had been savagely beaten in Sri Lanka by men who had blindfolded and abducted him. He said he had spent 11 days in a hospital recovering from his injuries.

Not sure how I feel about this one. It seemed the Asylum officer believed him yet rejected him for what I guess would be lack of details

I sure don’t understand any of the legalities, but I feel so bad for these people who want to escape from a hellish existence and are willing to work hard for a better life.

That was my grandmother, a widow with two little boys, coming through Ellis Island and cleaning houses and taking in laundry so her boys could have a better life than she did.

Sounds like Thuraissigiam got extremely lucky. Imagine if the poor guy was granted asylum, he would have been stuck in this country and being a brown guy, it would be open season on him.

I’m ok with this ruling.

The immigration system is overwhelmed by people claiming asylum who clearly aren’t eligible.

Unfortunately, the situation in Central America isn’t something that is going to create a situation that would qualify for asylum the way the law is written. They aren’t being persecuted for any of the reasons protected by asylum laws.

Clogging up the courts with another layer of appeals isn’t going to do anything but keep the system overwhelmed.

The policy change that prevents people waiting on asylum form having work authorization is one we should be mad about, but it got overshadowed by this ruling.

Sounds like Thuraissigiam got extremely lucky. Imagine if the poor guy was granted asylum, he would have been stuck in this country and being a brown guy, it would be open season on him.

So, you seem to be in full on snark mode these days. Any idea how long this will last?

Haven't you said on multiple occasions that two things can be true at once? So try this on for size. The United States can have trouble with racial equality and still be a better place for a black or brown people than other oppressive or troubled countries.

If you want to take this further, the United States can have systemic racism and still be a place for some black people to obtain massive amounts of wealth and power.

Have a little more faith in this country. We can take criticism and work to become better.

Last edited:
    So, you seem to be in full on snark mode these days. Any idea how long this will last?
    As long as everything is stupid. If I had to take a guess.

Haven't you said on multiple occasions that two things can be true at once? So try this on for size. The United States can have trouble with racial equality and still be a better place for a black or brown people than other oppressive or troubled countries.

If you want to take this further, the United States can have systemic racism and still be a place for some black people to obtain massive amounts of wealth and power.

Have a little more faith in this country. We can take criticism and work to become better.

this is so true. I talk with the people I know who have come from Mexico and still live in incredibly poor environments in the US (in my opinion) and they are quick to remind me that even Living in a 1 car garage with a swamp cooler and working in the fields is so much better than where some came from. That’s why it’s always important to look at a situation from others points of view.
    While the US is far from perfect, and there are many ways for this country to improve, it also has a great deal of things going for it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom