Supreme Court dismisses challenge to Affordable Care Act (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Anyone else not surprised by Thomas and Alito? Two peas in a pod.

It was Alito and Gorsouch this time. It actually did surprise me that is wasn't Thomas with Alito this time, lol. Those two just seem like huge curmudgeons.

Last edited:
    I wasn't all that surprised at the ruling, although, mildly surprised that Thomas sided with the majority opinion. Barrett seems almost downright pragmatic so far. I'm curious to see if that continues. I wouldn't say she's a John Roberts redux, but she's got that vibe from what I can tell.

Conservatives need to get off the ACA=bad train because it's not really helping their case.

For all it's flaws ACA hasn't been that bad. I still would rather see single payer, but probably not happening anytime soon.

I wasn't all that surprised at the ruling, although, mildly surprised that Thomas sided with the majority opinion. Barrett seems almost downright pragmatic so far. I'm curious to see if that continues. I wouldn't say she's a John Roberts redux, but she's got that vibe from what I can tell.

Conservatives need to get off the ACA=bad train because it's not really helping their case.

For all it's flaws ACA hasn't been that bad. I still would rather see single payer, but probably not happening anytime soon.
    Dave, if we're being honest, do you believe some Congressional and Senate Dems smeared her and unfairly demeaned her reputation during her confirmation hearings with some of their attempted character assassination stunts like "this is what she'll do to X, Y, and Z former policies"?

Dave, if we're being honest, do you believe some Congressional and Senate Dems smeared her and unfairly demeaned her reputation during her confirmation hearings with some of their attempted character assassination stunts like "this is what she'll do to X, Y, and Z former policies"?

That happens to every single SCOTUS nominee. Comes with the territory.

That happens to every single SCOTUS nominee. Comes with the territory.
    What if some of it still mean-spirited bullshirt, no matter who the SCOTUS candidate.

Amy Coney Barrett wasnt and isn't Judge Robert Bork and should be treated like 5th rate used chewing gum shirt. That same logic applies to Merrick Garland and if anything, that treatment he recieved was 5x worse and insidiously vindictive. He wasnt even allowed a forking hearing, Dave??! for over an entire year, at least Judge Bork got that.

Because I don't tolerate bullshirt and I can be a very nasty, very unpleasant sort of person when I confront it or have to say something about it myself, personally.

What if some of it still mean-spirited bullshirt, no matter who the SCOTUS candidate.

Amy Coney Barrett wasnt and isn't Judge Robert Bork and should be treated like 5th rate used chewing gum shirt. That same logic applies to Merrick Garland and if anything, that treatment he recieved was 5x worse and insidiously vindictive. He wasnt even allowed a forking hearing, Dave??! for over an entire year, at least Judge Bork got that.

Because I don't tolerate bullshirt and I can be a very nasty, very unpleasant sort of person when I confront it or have to say something about it myself, personally.

Maybe, but these candidates by and large have thick skin. ACB handled herself well, which is a good sign that she's a solid candidate. Garland no doubt should have been afforded a hearing. But, we can all thank McConnell for that. He's already talking about doing that again if Breyer retires.

SCOTUS candidates get run through the grinder, and often unfairly, but it is what it is.

Maybe, but these candidates by and large have thick skin. ACB handled herself well, which is a good sign that she's a solid candidate. Garland no doubt should have been afforded a hearing. But, we can all thank McConnell for that. He's already talking about doing that again if Breyer retires.

SCOTUS candidates get run through the grinder, and often unfairly, but it is what it is.

I didn't pay attention to much of ACB's conformation as the outcome was already decided before hand by Republicans. But from what I remember reading, I don't remember her getting anywhere near the treatment that Bork or Kavanaugh got. I thought mostly she was respected and well received, even by Dems who ardently disagreed with her appointment.

What I remember was Dems questioning her hard on and being weary of was her anti-abortion beliefs and how that would impact her judicial rulings on the SC. The jury is still very much out on that question.

Last edited:
    I didn't pay attention to much of ACB's conformation as the outcome was already decided before hand by Republicans. But from what I remember reading, I don't remember her getting anywhere near the treatment that Bork or Kavanaugh got. I thought mostly she was respected and well received, even by Dems who ardently disagreed with her appointment.

What I remember Dems questioning her hard on and being weary of was her ant-abortion beliefs and how that would impact her judicial rulings on the SC. The jury is still very much out on that question.

There was a lot of venom and opposition from the usual suspects vs ACB. That's hardly surprising. It may not have been quite the circus of those guys, but it was there nonetheless. There certainly were attempts to derail her nomination, but as you said, it was pretty much a forgone conclusion.

I get the concern on the abortion issue and we'll see how she rules, but so far, on most everything else, she seems pretty pragmatic in her opinions on other issues.

I think a lot of the backlash against ACB was the blatant hypocrisy of the GOP ramming her through right before the election

If RBG had passed in Sept 2019 and Barrett was nominated I don't think the venom would have been nearly as intense

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom