Senate Election Thread (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

I taught with a teacher when I was in Katy who was a Holocaust denier.

He taught History
    I can't even conceive of how people believe that. Never mind the piles of objective evidence, Eisenhower specifically had all the top generals tour the concentration camps to affirm they existed. I guess the deniers think Eisenhower, Bradley, Patton, etc. were all part of the Deep State.

Holy shirt!!! What the hell did I just read?
    Man, when I read that article with all the direct quotes and "prayers" I almost got sick. These people aren't just mobilizing on the streets and the internet, they're infiltrating the government. And if there are 4 more years of Trump, they're going to do it more and more with his backing and blessing. It'd be tough for one of them to win statewide election, but the down ballot races are really more important than that in the first place.

Indeed. McGrath has not gained any traction to seriously threaten McConnell which is somewhat odd because many Trump supporters do not like McConnell. But in a state like Kentucky there are people who would never conceive of voting for a Democrat. I thought Mike Broihier would have been a better opponent for McConnell but he only won 5% or so of the vote in the Democrat primary so what do I know!

So this is the most recent Q poll via some random person on twitter taking a pic of their teevee.

Georgia Senate Race.jpg

Last edited:
    Quinnipiac looks to be an outlier, at least for now. The only other polls from October that have Ossoff up are Data for Progress and PPP - each giving Ossoff a +1 advantage.
    Survey USA: Perdue +3
    Morning Consult: Perdue +4
    University of Georgia: Perdue +8

We need to see if openly mocking a Senate colleague‘s name will have any effect. I would imagine it will affect some. It was openly bigoted, IMO.

I feel like republicans can get away with a hell of a lot, and nothing really happens because there are a lot of blind republican voters that just vote straight ticket (R) no matter what.

In the past few days this happened

and this

and, I still expect him to win.

The same can be said for Democrats - just look at the racial "gaffes" said by Biden this cycle.

Interesting. I don’t think the examples given above can be fairly characterized as “gaffes”. They weren’t off the cuff, they were done purposefully, imo.

Interesting. I don’t think the examples given above can be fairly characterized as “gaffes”. They weren’t off the cuff, they were done purposefully, imo.
    Which was why I quoted the word. I am sure there are many who don't think Biden's were gaffes either.

As I recall, though, didn’t Biden apologize and clarify afterward? Not trying to be argumentative, honest, I just see a difference.

In particular, I felt that Perdue was being offensive. He knows her name. It was done deliberately to publicly and openly mock a Senate colleague.

I feel like republicans can get away with a hell of a lot, and nothing really happens because there are a lot of blind republican voters that just vote straight ticket (R) no matter what.

In the past few days this happened

and this

and, I still expect him to win.

I think the full quotes and context weren't as bad as they seem in these tweets - at least not as to Lindsey's intent. In the one about "you can go anywhere in this state" it was following a line where he said "If you're a young African-American, you can go to the Senate. You just have to share our values." He was referring to his opponent and saying that his being a young African-American isn't what should keep him from the Senate, it's his values. Or whatever.

So when following that with "If you’re a young, African American or an immigrant, you can go anywhere in this state, you just need to be conservative, not liberal" - it's pretty clear that by "go" he means "make it to" in the context of "go to the Senate" or "go to the Governor's office". It's very weird syntax but I think it's clear what he meant. I don't think he was referring to whether minority citizens should appreciate their right to freely move about the state.

The question to Judge Barrett was similarly poorly chosen words, and even worse, it was a total unforced error. He was trying to use her comments about Brown being a "super-precedent" as a jumping off point for some other issues - and he wanted to make the (unnecessary and contestable) point that part of the impact of a super-precedent is that legislators abandon the effort to change after the Supreme Court's ruling becomes well settled. So in his effort to be colorful in talking about segregation laws (good Lord why would he pick that topic to get colorful in his speech?), he said "well, nobody's trying to bring back the good old days of segregation right?"

Just really bad judgment. Really poor choice of words reflecting on top of bad judgment. Total unforced error. But I don't think he was actually referring to segregation with any sort of approval or nostalgia.

I saw the entire quote from Graham about Harrison, so I understood the context. It’s still incredibly condescending and tone deaf, imo. I wouldn’t be surprised that African Americans find it offensive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom