Ruth Bader Ginsburg has passed (Replaced by Amy Coney Barrett)(Now Abortion Discussion) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

For what it’s worth, there’s definitely apologetics that argue that most of the anti-LGBTQ verses in the Bible are either Old Testament guidelines for the Levitical priesthood, rather than ordinary citizens, or New Testament mistranslations against male adult/male child pedophilia.

As secular morality evolves, not surprisingly, more and more "mistranslations" and reinterpretations come up.

Last edited:
    Tbh, this is a little surprising. The Kavanaugh hearings were a complete shirtshow and circus. These hearings have been pretty tame by comparison. I'm kind of shocked. Maybe with the election being days away, you've got senators who don't want to rock the boat too much. Maybe they don't want to stub their toe and make any unforced errors that could swing the election the other way. It feels a little weird.
    They overplayed their hand on Kavanaugh for sure and probably have recognized that, but yeah, we all know that Coney Barrett is going to be confirmed and there's no point in Democrats treading into dangerous waters with the election right around the corner.

Tbh, this is a little surprising. The Kavanaugh hearings were a complete shirtshow and circus. These hearings have been pretty tame by comparison. I'm kind of shocked. Maybe with the election being days away, you've got senators who don't want to rock the boat too much. Maybe they don't want to stub their toe and make any unforced errors that could swing the election the other way. It feels a little weird.
    I think mostly because Kavanaugh himself is a complete shirtshow and circus. He shouldn't have been nominated, much less confirmed.

Kavanaugh had a lot to attack. He was a smug, arrogant, partisan, frat boy punk. He was not even remotely likable and that made the political cost of attacking him nil. Frankly, he deserved most of the ire he got. Much like Trump a lot of folks try and pretend he doesn't bring the harsh treatment on himself by his own behavior.

Gorsuch and Coney Barrett are a different story. They both have good backgrounds, good judicial temperaments, and seem to be good people. That makes them much harder to attack and you have to be a little more careful about how you approach those people. Nobody is going to look at ACB and think she deserves to be screamed at and grilled.

Here's the funny thing with me...

I think the way the Gorsuch and ACB nominations are being handled are both wrong. The Gorsuch seat shouldn't have been open for the nomination and the ACB seat shouldn't be so rushed. However, I'm actually OK with both of them on the court. I'd prefer someone not so far ideologically right but I think both are good people, good legal minds, and have integrity.

Kavanaugh was the only kind of "legit" appointment IMO, and it disgusts me we have someone with that temperament and attitude on the court.

I find this to be a good opinion piece on Barrett

She is in a real dicey position, imo. She is coming to the court via a horrible power grab and will be looked at as illegitimate for quite a while, fairly or not.

Here's the funny thing with me...

I think the way the Gorsuch and ACB nominations are being handled are both wrong. The Gorsuch seat shouldn't have been open for the nomination and the ACB seat shouldn't be so rushed. However, I'm actually OK with both of them on the court. I'd prefer someone not so far ideologically right but I think both are good people, good legal minds, and have integrity.

Kavanaugh was the only kind of "legit" appointment IMO, and it disgusts me we have someone with that temperament and attitude on the court.

The Gorsuch seat shouldn't have been open is because of the Garland nomination being put on ice right? I'm pretty sure, but just drawing a bit of a blank there.

Yes. Garland should have had a fair hearing and there was nothing to disqualify him from being confirmed.

I figured that. I would have liked to see Garland on the court. Garland, Barrett along with the rest of the court would have been an interesting mix. Wonder who gets to be the swing vote with that group.

This is why I can't stand Cruz. He's just rude and pontificating about the Democrats using their time to scare people about Obamacare. Give me a break. Ask the judge your questions or yield back the balance of your time.

speaking of that...

This is why I can't stand Cruz. He's just rude and pontificating about the Democrats using their time to scare people about Obamacare. Give me a break. Ask the judge your questions or yield back the balance of your time.
    Cruz is very easy to dislike. People like to say Trump started a lot of this type of behavior, but Cruz has been a slimy, lying weasel for a long time.

The Gorsuch seat shouldn't have been open is because of the Garland nomination being put on ice right? I'm pretty sure, but just drawing a bit of a blank there.
    Not only that, but Garland had been talked about as the next nomination for quite some time before the vacancy and Republicans in the Senate were fine with it because he's a moderate until they made their power grab.

I'm probably the only person who still reads magazines, but anyway...in Time, there's a short short article on ACB. She's apparently not only a Catholic but she and her husband are members of an ecumenical faith community called People of Praise that teaches that women are submissive to men. That's the dangerous religious component to her beliefs that any other nominee would be hammered on. Three weeks out from an election, it just can't happen. With the dirty pool R's have played with blocking the Garland nomination and Trump, of all people, stacking the court with three justices, I'd have zero problem with Biden adding seats to the court if the Senate turns blue to balance this shirt out. At ACB's age, if she lives as long as RBG, she'd be on the bench until 2059. I shudder to think of how much damage a 6-3 SC could do over the next 39 years.

Last edited:
    Kav had as much to do about his political history, rulings, and who/how he was replacing as the allegations. He’s a partisan. He was part of Ken Star’s team investigating Pres Clinton. He was part of ending the recount in Florida. He may have participated in the Bush torture policy. He was the most conservative judge on the District Appeals court. He dissented on ACA and abortion access. He was replacing Kennedy, arguably 1 of only 2 conservative swing voters, who was rumored to be stepping down under pressure from Rs.

Last edited:
    I'm probably the only person who still reads magazines, but anyway...in Time, there's a short short article on ACB. She's apparently not only a Catholic but her and her husband are members of an ecumenical faith community called People of Praise that teaches that women are submissive to men. That's the dangerous religious component to her beliefs that any other nominee would be hammered on. Three weeks out from an election, it just can't happen. With the dirty pool R's have played with blocking the Garland nomination and Trump, of all people, stacking the court with three justices, I'd have zero problem with Biden adding seats to the court if the Senate turns blue to balance this shirt out. At ACB's age, if she lives as long as RBG, she'd be on the bench until 2059. I shudder to think of how much damage a 6-3 SC could do over the next 39 years.

Well, not all 9 justices are going to live 39 more years. And certainly the breakdown won't be 6-3 for all that long if Biden wins the election and the Senate flips, which at this point has a decent chance of happening. There have been rumors of a couple of justices looking for an off ramp to retire. So I think a 6-3 court isn't going to last more than a year or two. Could be wrong, but that what it seems to me from where I sit.

Well, not all 9 justices are going to live 39 more years. And certainly the breakdown won't be 6-3 for all that long if Biden wins the election and the Senate flips, which at this point has a decent chance of happening. There have been rumors of a couple of justices looking for an off ramp to retire. So I think a 6-3 court isn't going to last more than a year or two. Could be wrong, but that what it seems to me from where I sit.
    Thomas will likely die on the bench. Breyer might retire in late 2021-22 if Biden is elected. Everyone else is “young enough” for 4+ more years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom