Ruth Bader Ginsburg has passed (Replaced by Amy Coney Barrett)(Now Abortion Discussion) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Considering the rumors that Justice Kennedy was basically strong-armed into retiring (and some pretty nasty methods were rumored to have been used) I don’t feel confidant that Thomas will resist. They will be even more ruthless in getting him to retire, possibly. Once the election is lost, no holds barred.

It would be extremely plausible that they do this.

Considering the rumors that Justice Kennedy was basically strong-armed into retiring (and some pretty nasty methods were rumored to have been used) I don’t feel confidant that Thomas will resist. They will be even more ruthless in getting him to retire, possibly. Once the election is lost, no holds barred.

And once they do, they will be basically begging the new President and Democrats to expand the court (as if theyre not already begging for it) .. the Republicans will be responsible for their own demise... Of course , all this assumes that Trump loses, and i am far from convinced that he will.

Where did you see those rumors? I wasn't aware of this. I mean, how do you strong arm a SC and not get in trouble for it? I would think Kennedy has the ability to say something about it if it were true.

In other words, I'm not buying it without some solid corroboration.

Where did you see those rumors? I wasn't aware of this. I mean, how do you strong arm a SC and not get in trouble for it? I would think Kennedy has the ability to say something about it if it were true.

It had something to do with Kennedy’s son.

So, it’s a rumor, as I was pretty clear about that. It may have validity, or it may not. This much is fact-Kennedy was not known to be contemplating retirement, and it was a shock when he announced it.

Kennedy’s son works (or used to work) for Deutsch Bank. Rumor is that he may have been caught up in some of the improprieties there and Kennedy was promised his son wouldn’t be targeted if he would retire.

So, it’s a rumor, as I was pretty clear about that. It may have validity, or it may not. This much is fact-Kennedy was not known to be contemplating retirement, and it was a shock when he announced it.

Kennedy’s son works (or used to work) for Deutsch Bank. Rumor is that he may have been caught up in some of the improprieties there and Kennedy was promised his son wouldn’t be targeted if he would retire.

Thanks. It just seems like a stretch to me that he would give up his seat like that. I'm more inclined to think he had valid personal reasons. But then, I'm not well versed in the situation, so I have no idea.

I would have no problem with Trump picking RBG’s replacement had McConnell and crew not stonewalled Obama’s nomination 4 yrs ago. This is disgusting - particularly if the rumors about Thomas are true. I voted for Trump in 2016 and have voted Republican in every election (I’m 37). I just got back from voting and proudly voted for Biden (can’t believe I’m saying those words). Trump is disgusting and needs to be stopped. And while I personally disagree with court packing, the Repubs have asked for it. I also think Trump is toast. There were 40 million women who voted for him last time (me included) and he’s lucky if he gets half that this time.

Dave, no more valid personal reason than protecting your son, right?

It wouldn’t have been overt, just a discussion about how important it is that he retire while Trump has a chance to replace him, then later in the conversation mentioning the improprieties at Deutsch Bank, and that some employees may have legal exposure, followed by oh, doesn't your son work there?

Anyone could connect those dots. 🤷‍♀️ Very nearly impossible to prove anything by it.

Dave, no more valid personal reason than protecting your son, right?

It wouldn’t have been overt, just a discussion about how important it is that he retire while Trump has a chance to replace him, then later in the conversation mentioning the improprieties at Deutsch Bank, and that some employees may have legal exposure, followed by oh, doesn't your son work there?

Anyone could connect those dots. 🤷‍♀️ Very nearly impossible to prove anything by it.

Like I said, there's scant evidence of this happening. I just think it's more likely conspiracy theory run amuck. Which always happens with something like this. The same thing will happen any time a justice or political figure steps down for personal/health reasons.

To each their own though. If you tend to believe it, I got no issue with that.

I don’t necessarily believe it. But it’s possible, with the way this man operates. So, I don’t think it’s totally crazy either.

ETA: Reading the article posted by NE, it does acknowledge that the Trump administration tried to convince Kennedy to retire. So the only real speculation was whether the arm twisting included reference to his son.

Last edited:
    I don’t necessarily believe it. But it’s possible, with the way this man operates. So, I don’t think it’s totally crazy either.

ETA: Reading the article posted by NE, it does acknowledge that the Trump administration tried to convince Kennedy to retire. So the only real speculation was whether the arm twisting included reference to his son.

I skimmed over it, so I didn't see how that happened. I don't think Trump met with him, so I'm wondering how they tried to convince him. It's not like someone can walk into his office and suggest he retire. I suppose it could have been done on the sly. I dunno.

Kennedy was 82 years old when he retired in July 2018 and there was at least a chance that the GOP could've lost control of the Senate a few months later and he couldn't be replaced. Plenty of people suggested that RBG retire in 2013 based on her age and the potential loss of Senate control, and she chose not to (resulting in a disastrous outcome). I don't there is any conspiracy apart from the right-leaning justices being more strategic about maintaining power. Would anyone at all be surprised to see Clarence Thomas step down and be replaced within a week in a lame duck session if the GOP loses both the presidency and Senate next week? I wouldn't.

Kennedy was 82 years old when he retired in July 2018 and there was at least a chance that the GOP could've lost control of the Senate a few months later and he couldn't be replaced. Plenty of people suggested that RBG retire in 2013 based on her age and the potential loss of Senate control, and she chose not to (resulting in a disastrous outcome). I don't there is any conspiracy apart from the right-leaning justices being more strategic about maintaining power. Would anyone at all be surprised to see Clarence Thomas step down and be replaced within a week in a lame duck session if the GOP loses both the presidency and Senate next week? I wouldn't.

How old is Thomas? I spilled water on my mint condition collectible SCOTUS player cards and his got ruined, so I'm not sure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom