Ruth Bader Ginsburg has passed (Replaced by Amy Coney Barrett)(Now Abortion Discussion) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Fair enough. From personal experience, though, I will say that the younger generation of judges (Barrett is under 50) were brought up in an atmosphere of partisanship and obsessive allegiance to the cult of Scalia and Federalist Society dogma. I went to law school with people cut from a similar cloth. Nice folks, but complete and utter toadies scrambling to get clerkships in the federal judiciary.

That makes sense. Fair enough.

Saw this earlier today

Justices must be “hyper vigilant to make sure they’re not letting personal biases creep into their decisions, since judges are people, too,” Barrett said at a lecture hosted by the University of Louisville’s McConnell Center.

Barrett said the media’s reporting of opinions doesn’t capture the deliberative process in reaching those decisions. And she insisted that “judicial philosophies are not the same as political parties.”

“To say the court’s reasoning is flawed is different from saying the court is acting in a partisan manner,”

This was my first reaction when I saw what Barrett said:

Barrett threw out an old cliche: “Judicial philosophies are not the same as political parties.” Fine, but when one’s judicial philosophy is designed to inevitably result in outcomes favorable to one political party, it’s fair to say that is a distinction without a difference.

Also strongly agree with this part. Rubin hit the nail on the head with this opinion piece. Maybe if they want us to believe they aren't partisan, they shouldn't have "judicial philosophies" that always deliver partisan results. She also makes a strong case for term limits, which I agree with.

So are Barrett and Breyer simply lying to us? I would suggest it is something more insidious: They have convinced themselves that their judicial “philosophy” is neutral, rather than a means to turn the court into an instrument of partisan power.

Let’s get real. Conservative justices have been tutored in Federalist Society buzzwords such as “judicial restraint” (except, for example, when rewriting the Voting Rights Act). They have latched onto a brand of jurisprudence in which the only “legitimate” method of interpretation is time-traveling to the 18th century, often neatly bypassing the post-Civil War amendments that federalized rights. That’s how the conservative justices manage to regard themselves as paragons of judicial virtue.

They cannot acknowledge that their reasoning constantly twists and turns, elevating certain rights (e.g., religious freedom, gun ownership) but diminishing others (e.g., those guaranteed by the 14th Amendment). They refuse to concede that their view of executive power expands like an accordion for Republican presidents and contracts for Democratic presidents.
    It is precisely because justices lack the discipline and self-awareness to divorce their own judicial “philosophies” from the partisan ends their “side” wants that term limits become a necessity. Judges who no longer feel constrained by precedent and nearly always fulfill the policy edicts of the president who nominated them should not have lifetime tenure. When the highest court is now a forum for raw exercise of political power, a president’s picks should not be empowered to serve for decades.

I am not qualified to provide an opinion.

Having an opinion on another guys appearance or attractiveness does not make you gay, lol. I always thought it was funny that so many straight guys felt that way. I could understand being indifferent, but if somebody ask you if another guy is attractive, you can answer that question by whatever metric you choose and not be gay.

That's like somebody asking me, a gay guy, if a woman is attractive. I'm largely indifferent, but I can see Beyonce got legs and booty. Just like you can see Jason Mamoa has abs and muscles, lol.

I don't know what any of this has to do with Barret, though, or why you bought up her physical appearance. Just feels like an odd topic for a SC justice, regardless of sex.

Last edited:
    Having an opinion on another guys appearance or attractiveness does not make you gay,
    Oh, yes, it does!! :hihi:
    JK
    That's like somebody asking me, a gay guy, if a woman is attractive. I'm largely indifferent, but I can see Beyonce got legs and booty. Just like you can see Jason Mamoa has abs and muscles, lol.
    I know this is going to sound silly to you - and probably wrong - and I guess it is silly, but you finding a woman to be good looking doesn't threaten your gayness they way finding another man attractive threatens a man's masculinity, either consciously or subconsciously.

I assume that you don't see your attraction to other men as having anything to do with your masculinity either positively or negatively, but for many cisgender men, it does.

Like I said, it'll sound silly to you.

I personally don't have an issue with saying that I think a man is good looking or attractive. I stole a line from Paul Rodriguez that I use sometimes to make people feel uncomfortable (or just make them laugh) when talking about the attractiveness/masculinity of other men: "I am not gay, not even close, but if I were, I'd want to be yours/his" :hihi:

Last edited:
    Having an opinion on another guys appearance or attractiveness does not make you gay, lol. I always thought it was funny that so many straight guys felt that way. I could understand being indifferent, but if somebody ask you if another guy is attractive, you can answer that question by whatever metric you choose and not be gay.

I don't know what any of this has to do with Barret, though, or why you bought up her physical appearance. Just feels like an odd topic for a SC justice, regardless of sex.
    Neat I ever felt about myself was when two obviously gay men were checking me out. I had some meeting and actually tried to look good that day. Maybe it was my burnt Orange sweater or I dunno but for two guys who looked like that to be checking me out honestly felt good.
    And no I’m not gay. But if I ever get invited to another gay wedding I will be there. The three I’ve attended have been awesome.

JK

I know this is going to sound silly to you - and probably wrong - and I guess it is silly, but you finding a woman to be good looking doesn't threaten your gayness they way finding another man attractive threatens a man's masculinity, either consciously or subconsciously.

I assume that you don't see your attraction to other men as having anything to do with your masculinity either positively or negatively, but for many cisgender men, it does.

I personally don't have an issue with saying that I think a man is good looking or attractive. I stole a line from Paul Rodriguez that I use sometimes to make people feel uncomfortable (or just make them laugh) when talking about the attractiveness/masculinity of other men: "I am not gay, not even close, but if I were, I'd want to be yours/his" :hihi:

It's not silly to me, I mean I get it. When I was living straight and married I never offered up opinions on a guys attractiveness.

I just think it's funny now because straight men, even if they wouldn't admit it outwardly for sake of their masculinity, instinctively or objectively know if another guy is attractive. At least by popular standards.

It's not silly to me, I mean I get it. When I was living straight and married I never offered up opinions on a guys attractiveness.

I just think it's funny now because straight men, even if they wouldn't admit it outwardly for sake of their masculinity, instinctively or objectively know if another guy is attractive. At least by popular standards.
    Of course they do. I mean come on there are a lot of attractive guys out there. I mean I’m not one of them, but they are out there. Same with women. You can appreciate beauty/ fitness/whatever without being sexually attracted to them.

JK

Yeah, I've actually said something similar to my wife. I'd tell her, "You know I'm not gay, but if I were, I'd smash it." :hihi:

And fwiw, it doesn't bother me to say a guy or a girl is hot. Doesn't make me any more or less of a man.

As for how the topic came up in a SCOTUS thread, :shrug:. Too many of Paul's posts make me cringe, yeah.

Of course they do. I mean come on there are a lot of attractive guys out there. I mean I’m not one of them, but they are out there. Same with women. You can appreciate beauty/ fitness/whatever without being sexually attracted to them.
    Indeed. Well said. Beautiful people are, ahem, beautiful. :9:

Yeah, I've actually said something similar to my wife. I'd tell her, "You know I'm not gay, but if I were, I'd smash it." :hihi:

And fwiw, it doesn't bother me to say a guy or a girl is hot. Doesn't make me any more or less of a man.

As for how the topic came up in a SCOTUS thread, :shrug:. Too many of Paul's posts make me cringe, yeah.
    He remarked on how hot he thought the stepford wife Supreme Court Justice was

I don't think Kavanaugh is an attractive man. I believe Neil Gorsuch is a much more attractive man. When it comes to attractive women I think i have better judgement than my straight wife.

I don't think Kavanaugh is an attractive man. I believe Neil Gorsuch is a much more attractive man. When it comes to attractive women I think i have better judgement than my straight wife.

Thinking that you know better than your wife on a topic as subjective as what people find attractive in a woman simply because you are a man is the height of misogyny.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom