Roger Stone trial set to begin (Update: Stone found guilty on all 7 counts)(Update: Trump commutes sentence) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    Jury selection will begin Tuesday morning. Note that Steve Bannon intends to testify for the prosecution.

Roger Stone will go on trial starting Nov. 5 in Washington, the federal judge presiding over the high-profile case said Thursday.

U.S. District Court Judge Amy Berman Jackson set out a calendar for a two-week trial that will pit the longtime Trump associate against special counsel Robert Mueller on charges Stone lied to Congress and obstructed lawmakers’ Russia investigations.

Stone entered the D.C. courthouse for Thursday’s status hearing uncertain whether he’d face any penalties — including jail — for violating the terms of a gag order restricting his ability to talk about any aspect of the case.

But Stone was spared any punishment after Jackson opened the proceedings saying she didn’t “intend to dwell” on the dispute, which centers on discrepancies over whether Stone mislead the court about plans to rerelease a recent book with a new introduction bashing Mueller’s investigation.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/14/roger-stone-trial-1221289

https://www.law.com/nationallawjour...n-roger-stones-trial/?slreturn=20190931143946

Haven’t watched that yet but I will. Can tell it’s before my time.
    And I’m not defending or trying to blame. He’s a terrible speaker, from what I see daily. Thankfully I prefer actions to silver tongued.

He is a terrible speaker. He wasn't always. Makes you wonder how it got so bad even before the stressful job of running the country.

Trump? I don’t recall him ever being articulate or eloquent. If he was and I misremember, then the stresses of the job have taken a toll I’m sure.
    I would not want that job and could not do it.

I think it's because a dim bulb darkens more quickly than one at full power and Trump is demonstrably running on 1/2 of a pretty small tank.

Ironically, it's the same person who thinks Biden is suffering from Dementia who denies one of the most obvious collapses ofl intellect ever on public display.

I think it's because a dim bulb darkens more quickly than one at full power and Trump is demonstrably running on 1/2 of a pretty small tank.

Ironically, it's the same person who thinks Biden is suffering from Dementia who denies one of the most obvious collapses ofl intellect ever on public display.

No, I don’t.
    And haven’t. I just think Joe is further diminished than Donald.
    Unlike you, I understand and appreciate your right to feel the opposite.

Before Michael Cohen was indicted, Trump communicated to him through Rudy Giuliani that he could "sleep well," which clearly meant that he would be protected if he faced legal trouble for refusing to cooperate with federal prosecutors:

Months later, Cohen pled guilty to campaign finance violations in which Trump was an unindicted co-conspirator, and "flipped" on Trump regarding a number of additional topics. Cohen ultimately revealed through his plea agreement that Trump had directed him to lie about whether he continued to negotiate Trump Tower Moscow into the 2016 campaign, and to lie about Trump's knowledge of the project during that time. The Trump Tower Moscow proposal was one of the biggest deals of Trump's lifetime, and his defenders still refuse to acknowledge how problematic it was that he was negotiating this at a time when the Kremlin was offering, and providing, election assistance to his campaign.

In February 2020, Bill Barr used the DOJ to undercut its own sentencing recommendations on Roger Stone. Barr tried to save face and appear neutral, at one point calling Stone's prosecution "righteous":
    In response to Barr's unusual actions, I discussed potential reasons why Trump would have the DOJ interfere with Roger Stone's sentencing:
    Then the DOJ took the unprecedented step of moving to dismiss its case against Flynn, and I discussed how similar this was to what's happening with Stone:
    Stone is now set to report to prison by June 30:
    Today, Trump is continuing his Stone crusade (via a RT from a pro-Trump propagandist), saying on Twitter that Stone can "sleep well at night," which means he will ensure Stone's prison time is prevented, or shortened:

The patterns, and underlying motivations behind them, are easy to spot. If Trump continues to make it clear he wants Stone to be pardoned, the pro-Trump online propagandists will take their cues from him, and will attack every angle of the Stone case until they find one they think works. By the time Trump or the DOJ takes action that ensures Stone either doesn't serve time, or is released early, it will be viewed by Trump defenders as a "righteous" outcome, notwithstanding Barr's proclamation that the prosecution itself was "righteous."

Stone lied to Congress to protect himself and Trump. As I've said before, he should go to prison for that, just like the rest of us would if we had done what Stone did. The fact that the justice system doesn't treat everyone equally is one of the reasons, if not the main reason, that the streets are filled with protesters this week.

Does “highest levels” = Barr?
    ======================

(CNN) - A deputy to former special counsel Robert Mueller plans to tell a congressional panel Wednesday that the "highest levels" of the Justice Department politicized the sentencing of President Donald Trump's longtime friend and adviser Roger Stone by pressuring the acting US attorney for the District of Columbia to ease up on his sentencing, according to written testimony the committee released Tuesday......

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/23/politics/aaron-zelinsky-roger-stone/index.html

I'm at the point now that when I see something like this, especially on a Friday afternoon/evening, I wonder what's really going on or coming out or that I should actually be paying attention to.

And the shinier the thing, the more curious I get.

They also must have figured, and I probably tend to agree, that this wouldn't hurt Trump in the election otherwise they would have just waited four months.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom