Over 93% of BLM demonstrations are non-violent (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

First Time Poster

Reaction score
    So, rather than burying this subject in an already broad thread I felt this topic, and the study it is based on, deserved its own thread. A debate about whether the protests have been mostly violent or not has been had multiple times in multiple threads so when I saw this analysis it piqued my interest.

A few key points: It characterizes the BLM movement as "an overwhelmingly peaceful movement." Most of the violent demonstrations were surrounding Confederate monuments. To this mostly non-violent movement, the government has responded violently, and disproportionately so, to BLM than other demonstrations, including a militarized federal response. The media has, also, been targeted by this violent government response. There is a high rate of non-state actor involvement in BLM demonstrations. Lastly, there is a rising number of counter-protest that turn violent. I shouldn't say lastly because there is, also, a lot of data relating to Covid too.

The Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED) begin tracking BLM demonstrations since this summer, the week of George Floyd's killing. I am linking the entire study for all to read. I am highlighting excerpts I personally found interesting.

The vast majority of demonstration events associated with the BLM movement are non-violent (see map below). In more than 93% of all demonstrations connected to the movement, demonstrators have not engaged in violence or destructive activity. Peaceful protests are reported in over 2,400 distinct locations around the country. Violent demonstrations, meanwhile, have been limited to fewer than 220 locations — under 10% of the areas that experienced peaceful protests. In many urban areas like Portland, Oregon, for example, which has seen sustained unrest since Floyd’s killing, violent demonstrations are largely confined to specific blocks, rather than dispersed throughout the city (CNN, 1 September 2020).

Yet, despite data indicating that demonstrations associated with the BLM movement are overwhelmingly peaceful, one recent poll suggested that 42% of respondents believe “most protesters [associated with the BLM movement] are trying to incite violence or destroy property” (FiveThirtyEight, 5 June 2020). This is in line with the Civiqs tracking poll which finds that “net approval for the Black Lives Matter movement peaked back on June 3 [the week following the killing of George Floyd when riots first began to be reported] and has fallen sharply since” (USA Today, 31 August 2020; Civiqs, 29 August 2020).

Research from the University of Washington indicates that this disparity stems from political orientation and biased media framing (Washington Post, 24 August 2020), such as disproportionate coverage of violent demonstrations (Business Insider, 11 June 2020; Poynter, 25 June 2020). Groups like the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) have documented organized disinformation campaigns aimed at spreading a “deliberate mischaracterization of groups or movements [involved in the protests], such as portraying activists who support Black Lives Matter as violent extremists or claiming that antifa is a terrorist organization coordinated or manipulated by nebulous external forces” (ADL, 2020). These disinformation campaigns may be contributing to the decline in public support for the BLM movement after the initial increase following Floyd’s killing, especially amongst the white population (USA Today, 31 August 2020; Civiqs, 30 August 2020a, 30 August 2020b). This waning support also comes as the Trump administration recently shifted its “law and order” messaging to target local Democratic Party politicians from urban areas, particularly on the campaign trail (NPR, 27 August 2020).

Despite the fact that demonstrations associated with the BLM movement have been overwhelmingly peaceful, more than 9% — or nearly one in 10 — have been met with government intervention, compared to 3% of all other demonstrations. This also marks a general increase in intervention rates relative to this time last year. In July 2019, authorities intervened in under 2% of all demonstrations — fewer than 30 events — relative to July 2020, when they intervened in 9% of all demonstrations — or over 170 events.

Authorities have used force — such as firing less-lethal weapons like tear gas, rubber bullets, and pepper spray or beating demonstrators with batons — in over 54% of the demonstrations in which they have engaged. This too is a significant increase relative to one year ago. In July 2019, government personnel used force in just three documented demonstrations, compared to July 2020, when they used force against demonstrators in at least 65 events. Over 5% of all events linked to the BLM movement have been met with force by authorities, compared to under 1% of all other demonstrations.

Non-state groups are becoming more active and assertive. Since May, ACLED records over 100 events in which non-state actors engaged in demonstrations (including counter-demonstrations) — the vast majority of which were in response to demonstrations associated with the BLM movement. These non-state actors include groups and militias from both the left and right side of the political spectrum, such as Antifa, the Not forking Around Coalition, the New Mexico Civil Guard, the Patriot Front, the Proud Boys, the Boogaloo Bois, and the Ku Klux Klan, among others (see map below).3

Between 24 May and 22 August, over 360 counter-protests were recorded around the country, accounting for nearly 5% of all demonstrations. Of these, 43 — nearly 12% — turned violent, with clashes between pro-police demonstrators and demonstrators associated with the BLM movement, for example. In July alone, ACLED records over 160 counter-protests, or more than 8% of all demonstrations. Of these, 18 turned violent. This is a significant increase relative to July 2019, when only 17 counter-protests were reported around the country, or approximately 1% of all demonstrations, and only one of these allegedly turned violent.

This has been discussed before on here. With you specifically. One or two members of an organization don’t speak for the entire organization. BLM doesn’t promote or espouse Marxist principles. It doesn’t matter how many times you say it, it still won’t be true. That you would even think this is somehow proof of what the organization stands for, rather than looking up what the organization actually says it stands for, is just proof you are completely trolling with this “Marxist” nonsense. This is why people have no other choice but to assume you are either lying or trolling.
    Yes, the founders of the organization have no bearing on the principles and values of the group they started.
    Do you have any idea how silly and biased that sound?

I am better than you Farb, yes. Facts bear that out, not opinions.

Now that we have that out of the way, we can you go ahead and talk to your post about Starbucks closing stores due to crime.

First they are closing 23 nationwide and two are in Portland. Wanna guess where the other ones are? I will give you a hint, they have been in the news about it lately.

Starbucks is closing the two locations that it says are due to worker safety. The union, which has successfully organized 10 in metro Portland was set to unionize those two as well, says it was due to stopping the union. I know how much you hate unionized working people.

And as an aside, it is interesting you said you saw no one was building here. We are in the top of fastest growing cities and our unions are strong.

You all hate us because we (the west coast) have succeeded wildly compared to the conservative parts of the country. liberal policies have CA almost $80 billion in surplus. Meanwhile, your state can’t afford to fill potholes without federal help.

Your whole state is a welfare queen.
    I am sure you are better than me. Won't argue with you there. I guess it all depends on your definition of better and I think we have vastly different definitions of better. For example, you see potholes as a barometer of governmental success while completely ignoring how the magic progressive policies are actually working.

I didn't say no one was building, I just said they don't have a lot of men up there.

So, Starbucks is heading out because your policy of defund the police for a virtue signal but then quickly and quietly refund them when crimes gets out of hand. Interesting strategy, lets see how that pans out.

While I am not a huge fan of unions, I don't detest them like the good folks in Portland hate the police and babies in need. But I assume you guys have no potholes?

https://www.foxnews.com/media/portl...et-pregnancy-support-center-violence-horrible

I don’t have the foggiest idea about what he or she or they do.

They told us in the past they have an expanded waistline and being from Alabama I figured they would be an expert in the proper rolling speed of a convenience store hot dog.

Yes, the founders of the organization have no bearing on the principles and values of the group they started.
    Do you have any idea how silly and biased that sound?
    You just don’t know what you’re talking about. Yet again.

You just don’t know what you’re talking about. Yet again.
    Educate me then.
    Are the founders of BLM 'trained marxists' according to their own words?

I just posted a video where the founder of BLM is discussing her amassing homes and how it is not contradicting to the ideology that she holds. The interviewer even asked about her 'expressed politics and her lived practice'. Those are the words used not mine.

So, instead of just saying "you don't know what you are talking" with your fingers in your ears like a child having a tantrum, please answer this one question. Is Patrice Cullors a 'trained marxist'? Yes or no (no lying remember)

What you are not acknowledging is that BLM does not espouse Marxism. I don’t care what one individual person says. You don’t get to tar with a broad brush like that. It’s dishonest. But I know your sources are training you to do that.

The other fact you are not acknowledging is that BLM isn’t one organization. There’s no set of chapters that all belong to a central organization, or at least there wasn’t when we first discussed this. It’s a whole bunch of separate local chapters.

Basically it’s just a slogan that isn’t copyrighted and so anyone can claim it. Just like Antifa, which you guys treat similarly and which has no real National organizational structure and anyone can call themselves that as well.

I know your narrative (conspiracy theory, really) is that these are all-powerful groups with a definite plan to take over America. But that’s just not so. It’s a right wing fever dream pushed to gin up outrage and clicks on the right.

What you are not acknowledging is that BLM does not espouse Marxism. I don’t care what one individual person says. You don’t get to tar with a broad brush like that. It’s dishonest. But I know your sources are training you to do that.

The other fact you are not acknowledging is that BLM isn’t one organization. There’s no set of chapters that all belong to a central organization, or at least there wasn’t when we first discussed this. It’s a whole bunch of separate local chapters.

Basically it’s just a slogan that isn’t copyrighted and so anyone can claim it. Just like Antifa, which you guys treat similarly and which has no real National organizational structure and anyone can call themselves that as well.

I know your narrative (conspiracy theory, really) is that these are all-powerful groups with a definite plan to take over America. But that’s just not so. It’s a right wing fever dream pushed to gin up outrage and clicks on the right.
    Can you explain to me why BLM is against the western 'prescribed' nuclear family model?

What you are most likely reading, Farb, is this stuff: (from Wiki)

“The Anti-Defamation League reports numerous attempts to spread disinformation about BLM, citing as examples mid-June 2020 posts "featuring a sticker instructing people to 'kill a white on sight' spread on Facebook and Twitter. The sticker included the hashtags #BlackLivesMatter and #Antifa." On Telegram, a "white supremacist channel encouraged members to distribute the propaganda."[424] Another disinformation campaign, originating in June 2020 on 4chan, had the "goal of getting the hashtags #AllWhitesAreNazis (#AWAN) trending on Twitter. Organizers hoped to commandeer hashtags like #BlackLivesMatter and #BLM with a high volume of tweets—purportedly from Black activist accounts—containing the #AWAN hashtag." According to the ADL, the campaign's supporters hoped to sow tension and promote white supremacist accelerationism.[425][426]

Conservative pundits such as Ryan Fournier and Candace Owens have falsely claimed that ActBlue funnels donations intended for Black Lives Matter to Democratic candidates, with some going so far as to allege the organization is a money laundering scam.[427][428][429][430]

According to scholars, Russian operatives associated with the Internet Research Agency have engaged in a sustained campaign to simultaneously promote the Black Lives Matter movement as well as to oppose it. In some cases, Russian operatives encouraged antagonism and violence toward BLM members.[431]

Fake manifesto​

In June 2020, an unknown party created a website at BLMManifesto.com purporting to be the manifesto of the BLM movement. The text mimics a 1919 Italian Fascist Manifesto, modified to relate to racial injustice. According to Snopes, the website appears intended to discredit the BLM movement.[432]

Can you explain to me why BLM is against the western 'prescribed' nuclear family model?

If you're genuinely curious, here's a rather informative primer.

There's a quote that directly addresses your question within the article: "We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and ‘villages’ that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable."

There's nothing about destroying capitalism or establishing a collective.

Having studied slavery and black history all my life, parts of various movement HAVE embraced or followed Marxist teachings. Marx actually wrote a lot of other things beyond just getting rid of capitalism and establishing a collective. Marx also came up with notion that labor is a commodity within a capitalist economy, which is pretty much accepted by all economists.

Marxism has more than one meaning and context. It doesn't just mean get rid of capitalism and break up wealth. In the Cold War era it often meant fighting or protesting established power structures.

In the black community, this quote I think means a lot of self-help and mutual support. The Panthers made this practice popular in the 1960s giving free breakfasts in poor black neighborhoods.

Like Critical Race Theory, those who are using this term to just tar and undermine the organization are not interested in 1. learning more about that organization, or 2. Understanding more the term that they are using beyond a simplistic slur.

Last edited:
    If you're genuinely curious, here's a rather informative primer.

There's a quote that directly addresses your question within the article: "We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and ‘villages’ that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable."

There's nothing about destroying capitalism or establishing a collective.

Having studied slavery and black history all my life, parts of various movement HAVE embraced or followed Marxist teachings. Marx actually wrote a lot of other things beyond just getting rid of capitalism and establishing a collective. Marx also came up with notion that labor is a commodity within a capitalist economy, which is pretty much accepted by all economists.

Marxism has more than one meaning and context. It doesn't just mean get rid of capitalism and break up wealth. In the Cold War era it often meant fighting or protesting established power structures.

In the black community, this quote I think means a lot of self-help and mutual support. The Panthers made this practice popular in the 1960s giving free breakfasts in poor black neighborhoods.

Like Critical Race Theory, those who are using this term to just tar and undermine the organization are not interested in 1. learning more about that organization, or 2. Understanding more the term that they are using beyond a simplistic slur.
    So what is meant by by the above quote? It sounds like an idea that has been proposed on here by several posters, that my kids are not just my kids, they are the states and because of that the state has the right to 'train' my kids since 'they have to live them with too in society'?

Just because their might be another explanation, does that mean we should ignore what they said they believe? The founders have said as much.

Is it not called 'critical race theory'? Then I don't see the problem of using the label that they themselves use. Why is considered a simplistic slur if it is the founder named it that?

What you are most likely reading, Farb, is this stuff: (from Wiki)

“The Anti-Defamation League reports numerous attempts to spread disinformation about BLM, citing as examples mid-June 2020 posts "featuring a sticker instructing people to 'kill a white on sight' spread on Facebook and Twitter. The sticker included the hashtags #BlackLivesMatter and #Antifa." On Telegram, a "white supremacist channel encouraged members to distribute the propaganda."[424] Another disinformation campaign, originating in June 2020 on 4chan, had the "goal of getting the hashtags #AllWhitesAreNazis (#AWAN) trending on Twitter. Organizers hoped to commandeer hashtags like #BlackLivesMatter and #BLM with a high volume of tweets—purportedly from Black activist accounts—containing the #AWAN hashtag." According to the ADL, the campaign's supporters hoped to sow tension and promote white supremacist accelerationism.[425][426]

Conservative pundits such as Ryan Fournier and Candace Owens have falsely claimed that ActBlue funnels donations intended for Black Lives Matter to Democratic candidates, with some going so far as to allege the organization is a money laundering scam.[427][428][429][430]

According to scholars, Russian operatives associated with the Internet Research Agency have engaged in a sustained campaign to simultaneously promote the Black Lives Matter movement as well as to oppose it. In some cases, Russian operatives encouraged antagonism and violence toward BLM members.[431]

Fake manifesto​

In June 2020, an unknown party created a website at BLMManifesto.com purporting to be the manifesto of the BLM movement. The text mimics a 1919 Italian Fascist Manifesto, modified to relate to racial injustice. According to Snopes, the website appears intended to discredit the BLM movement.[432]
    https://web.archive.org/web/20200408020723/https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe/

Or the BLM website before they had to take down what exactly they believe. Any guess on why they took it down?

https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe

Ok, why do you say that? They have said it. Who told you that and why do you believe it?
    I’ve read a couple of websites of local BLM chapters. You know, a year or two ago when you were saying these same tropes. There was actually an emphasis on family and community in the sites I looked at. There were family activities and calls for community awareness.

You act like there is some big organization called BLM. There isn’t. So when you say “they” that’s pretty meaningless. There are local chapters who aren’t connected at all, AFAIK.

There’s no copyright on BLM. Anybody can use it and if you even glanced at the Wiki article I posted it documents that right wing organizations are posting fake BLM web pages and manifestos to make the organization look bad.

So what is meant by by the above quote? It sounds like an idea that has been proposed on here by several posters, that my kids are not just my kids, they are the states and because of that the state has the right to 'train' my kids since 'they have to live them with too in society'?

That's a lot of dramatic license taken.

We live in societies, and to prevent chaos and anarchy, we behave in certain ways and follow certain rules, and when we don't behave in certain ways or follow certain rules, the State can punish us. So in a way, we are "trained". But you have a very different meaning in mind, I assume? More like indoctrination or the buzzword-du-jour grooming?

Also, what do you believe Marxist principles to be?

Last edited:
    That's a lot of dramatic license taken.

We live in societies, and to prevent chaos and anarchy, we behave in certain ways and follow certain rules, and when we don't behave in certain ways or follow certain rules, the State can punish us. So in a way, we are "trained". But you have a very different meaning in mind, I assume? More like indoctrination or the buzzword-du-jour grooming?

Also, what do you believe Marxist principles to be?
    Well, considering where we are in the public education of children, then yes, I don't want the government anywhere near 'educating' my kids. Prove they can do a better job (which was assumed until a light was shined on it because of the pandemic).

simplest terms, the opposite of capitalism with Marxist communisms being the big evil brother of socialism.

I’ve read a couple of websites of local BLM chapters. You know, a year or two ago when you were saying these same tropes. There was actually an emphasis on family and community in the sites I looked at. There were family activities and calls for community awareness.

You act like there is some big organization called BLM. There isn’t. So when you say “they” that’s pretty meaningless. There are local chapters who aren’t connected at all, AFAIK.

There’s no copyright on BLM. Anybody can use it and if you even glanced at the Wiki article I posted it documents that right wing organizations are posting fake BLM web pages and manifestos to make the organization look bad.
    But they do and they said. You can argue semantics but you actually know it, you just don't want to believe it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom