Over 93% of BLM demonstrations are non-violent (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

First Time Poster

Reaction score
    So, rather than burying this subject in an already broad thread I felt this topic, and the study it is based on, deserved its own thread. A debate about whether the protests have been mostly violent or not has been had multiple times in multiple threads so when I saw this analysis it piqued my interest.

A few key points: It characterizes the BLM movement as "an overwhelmingly peaceful movement." Most of the violent demonstrations were surrounding Confederate monuments. To this mostly non-violent movement, the government has responded violently, and disproportionately so, to BLM than other demonstrations, including a militarized federal response. The media has, also, been targeted by this violent government response. There is a high rate of non-state actor involvement in BLM demonstrations. Lastly, there is a rising number of counter-protest that turn violent. I shouldn't say lastly because there is, also, a lot of data relating to Covid too.

The Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED) begin tracking BLM demonstrations since this summer, the week of George Floyd's killing. I am linking the entire study for all to read. I am highlighting excerpts I personally found interesting.

The vast majority of demonstration events associated with the BLM movement are non-violent (see map below). In more than 93% of all demonstrations connected to the movement, demonstrators have not engaged in violence or destructive activity. Peaceful protests are reported in over 2,400 distinct locations around the country. Violent demonstrations, meanwhile, have been limited to fewer than 220 locations — under 10% of the areas that experienced peaceful protests. In many urban areas like Portland, Oregon, for example, which has seen sustained unrest since Floyd’s killing, violent demonstrations are largely confined to specific blocks, rather than dispersed throughout the city (CNN, 1 September 2020).

Yet, despite data indicating that demonstrations associated with the BLM movement are overwhelmingly peaceful, one recent poll suggested that 42% of respondents believe “most protesters [associated with the BLM movement] are trying to incite violence or destroy property” (FiveThirtyEight, 5 June 2020). This is in line with the Civiqs tracking poll which finds that “net approval for the Black Lives Matter movement peaked back on June 3 [the week following the killing of George Floyd when riots first began to be reported] and has fallen sharply since” (USA Today, 31 August 2020; Civiqs, 29 August 2020).

Research from the University of Washington indicates that this disparity stems from political orientation and biased media framing (Washington Post, 24 August 2020), such as disproportionate coverage of violent demonstrations (Business Insider, 11 June 2020; Poynter, 25 June 2020). Groups like the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) have documented organized disinformation campaigns aimed at spreading a “deliberate mischaracterization of groups or movements [involved in the protests], such as portraying activists who support Black Lives Matter as violent extremists or claiming that antifa is a terrorist organization coordinated or manipulated by nebulous external forces” (ADL, 2020). These disinformation campaigns may be contributing to the decline in public support for the BLM movement after the initial increase following Floyd’s killing, especially amongst the white population (USA Today, 31 August 2020; Civiqs, 30 August 2020a, 30 August 2020b). This waning support also comes as the Trump administration recently shifted its “law and order” messaging to target local Democratic Party politicians from urban areas, particularly on the campaign trail (NPR, 27 August 2020).

Despite the fact that demonstrations associated with the BLM movement have been overwhelmingly peaceful, more than 9% — or nearly one in 10 — have been met with government intervention, compared to 3% of all other demonstrations. This also marks a general increase in intervention rates relative to this time last year. In July 2019, authorities intervened in under 2% of all demonstrations — fewer than 30 events — relative to July 2020, when they intervened in 9% of all demonstrations — or over 170 events.

Authorities have used force — such as firing less-lethal weapons like tear gas, rubber bullets, and pepper spray or beating demonstrators with batons — in over 54% of the demonstrations in which they have engaged. This too is a significant increase relative to one year ago. In July 2019, government personnel used force in just three documented demonstrations, compared to July 2020, when they used force against demonstrators in at least 65 events. Over 5% of all events linked to the BLM movement have been met with force by authorities, compared to under 1% of all other demonstrations.

Non-state groups are becoming more active and assertive. Since May, ACLED records over 100 events in which non-state actors engaged in demonstrations (including counter-demonstrations) — the vast majority of which were in response to demonstrations associated with the BLM movement. These non-state actors include groups and militias from both the left and right side of the political spectrum, such as Antifa, the Not forking Around Coalition, the New Mexico Civil Guard, the Patriot Front, the Proud Boys, the Boogaloo Bois, and the Ku Klux Klan, among others (see map below).3

Between 24 May and 22 August, over 360 counter-protests were recorded around the country, accounting for nearly 5% of all demonstrations. Of these, 43 — nearly 12% — turned violent, with clashes between pro-police demonstrators and demonstrators associated with the BLM movement, for example. In July alone, ACLED records over 160 counter-protests, or more than 8% of all demonstrations. Of these, 18 turned violent. This is a significant increase relative to July 2019, when only 17 counter-protests were reported around the country, or approximately 1% of all demonstrations, and only one of these allegedly turned violent.

I did. I think I have been pretty clear on my thoughts and yes, this board has been invaluable in forming those, so thank you.

Also, when someone can provide a link to an actual current law that is racist in this country, it would also be appreciated.
    Until then, I will hold out on my conclusion that this nation and its citizens are VASTLY good, decent and moral people.

Farb, sorry what is the connection between the vast majority of citizens being good, decent and moral people on the one hand, and systemic/institional racism on the other? totally unclear on that. I consider myself moral and good, but I pay taxes that go to producing nuclear, biological and chemical weapons that are designed solely to murder millions of non-combatants. That is an institutional problem that I have no direct control over.

Also, don't you think the laws that require substantially higher sentences for crack possession as opposed to cocaine possession to have disproportionately racial consequences? Or not voting on Sunday laws, as proposed in Georgia? I guess that I'm not clear on what your threshold for racism is. Does the law have to mention black and white?

Farb, sorry what is the connection between the vast majority of citizens being good, decent and moral people on the one hand, and systemic/institional racism on the other? totally unclear on that. I consider myself moral and good, but I pay taxes that go to producing nuclear, biological and chemical weapons that are designed solely to murder millions of non-combatants. That is an institutional problem that I have no direct control over.

Also, don't you think the laws that require substantially higher sentences for crack possession as opposed to cocaine possession to have disproportionately racial consequences? Or not voting on Sunday laws, as proposed in Georgia? I guess that I'm not clear on what your threshold for racism is. Does the law have to mention black and white?

@Farb can certainly speak for himself, but it seems that he'll only accept it if there's an explicit law that targets only one race. To my knowledge he has not commented on unequal application of the law which is what the rest of have been talking about for over a year.

Also, when someone can provide a link to an actual current law that is racist in this country, it would also be appreciated.
    You're so disingenuous. You KNOW we provided you examples (VoterID laws).

Are there racist people. Yes, there are. I have met some.
    Do they hold positions of power, sometimes yes. Should they? Debatable but I generally answer with as long as it doesn't interfere with their job execution.
    If they do, should they be removed? Yes, they should if their action is legitimately racist and not perceived racism.
    You guys rail about how evil racist and terrible our system of government/civilization/culture is from the it's inception. I find that incorrect. I think this is the best cultivation of western civ the world has ever seen and the most forgiving, open and accepting civilization in the world. Just my opinion and not shared by the 95% on this board. So far, no one has even moved the neddle for me on that, but not for the lack of trying.
    Was the past horrible. Yes, most things in the past are. Far more histories written about war, famine and injustices than warm sunny spring days. Have we as a country had horible and disgusting events, you bet your arse we have. Have we, as a country corrected, I would say more than most other civilizations/cultures around the globe and we are continuing the evolution. That is something that should be celebrated and protected, not look to tear it down and start over.

You guys rail about how evil racist and terrible our system of government/civilization/culture is from the it's inception. I find that incorrect. I think this is the best cultivation of western civ the world has ever seen and the most forgiving, open and accepting civilization in the world. Just my opinion and not shared by the 95% on this board. So far, no one has even moved the neddle for me on that, but not for the lack of trying.

There seems to be a whole lot projection/victimization in this statement. Are you the type of person who believes that either America is a great place full of opportunity OR it has problems with race that exist today? Or do you believe that both things can be possible? America is a nation with lofty ideals, made up by flawed humans who fail to live up to those ideals, that we have achieved great things, but that we can do better and we should never stop seeking to do better. You seem to think it's all or nothing.

There seems to be a certain weakness with American conservatives today where they believe America is so fragile and weak that any criticism of it cannot be endured. Either you have to believe that everything is great with just some minor issues or you have to believe, what is it that you said - oh yeah, we're evil racists and our system of government is terrible. I utterly reject that. That's pure weakness. The inability to endure criticism and seek to become better is not something I want our country to stoop to.

Was the past horrible. Yes, most things in the past are. Far more histories written about war, famine and injustices than warm sunny spring days. Have we as a country had horible and disgusting events, you bet your arse we have. Have we, as a country corrected, I would say more than most other civilizations/cultures around the globe and we are continuing the evolution. That is something that should be celebrated and protected, not look to tear it down and start over.

You again are arguing against something I'm not sure anyone here is advocating for. Maybe if you quoted the post you are referring to when you say we shouldn't tear something down and start over. Who/where on this board is it being argued that we should tear it all down and start over?

And if you a genuinely interested in discussion, would you please discuss your thoughts on the examples of the unequal application of the law that we have brought up?

Are there racist people. Yes, there are. I have met some.
    Do they hold positions of power, sometimes yes. Should they? Debatable but I generally answer with as long as it doesn't interfere with their job execution.
    If they do, should they be removed? Yes, they should if their action is legitimately racist and not perceived racism.
    The crazy irony about conservatives hailing the US’s cultural standing in Western Civilization, is the tacit admission that it was liberal progressivism that made the US such a ‘beacon’
    And then will turn around and rail against lib/prog with intense vituperation

It’s a trip

https://www.dirt.com/gallery/more-d...nyon-compound-1203374803/patrissecullors_tc1/

I thought of making a thread just for BLM since I have a feeling that they will be in the news a lot in the next few weeks/months but this will fit here.

I guess this bad optics, but you have to spend all that money you swindled out of Americans at some point and no matter when, it would be brought up on line. It is cool place, I expect more of the house but I guess 1.4 million only gets so much in LA.

https://www.dirt.com/gallery/more-d...nyon-compound-1203374803/patrissecullors_tc1/

I thought of making a thread just for BLM since I have a feeling that they will be in the news a lot in the next few weeks/months but this will fit here.

I guess this bad optics, but you have to spend all that money you swindled out of Americans at some point and no matter when, it would be brought up on line. It is cool place, I expect more of the house but I guess 1.4 million only gets so much in LA.

People who take advantage of causes and defraud other supporters just to enrich themselves should be punished severely.

Are you claiming that she has no other sources of income that could help her and her spouse afford this place and that the only answer is that she must be stealing or skimming from BLM donations?

Are you claiming that she has no other sources of income that could help her and her spouse afford this place and that the only answer is that she must be stealing or skimming from BLM donations?
    Did you read the article? Optics.

Did you read the article? Optics.

I did. I was not focusing on the optics of the situation. I was asking you if you think that the only way she and her partner could afford this house is by stealing money.

Activists for social change are only allowed to live in run down housing and are not allowed to make more than a decent living. Didn’t you get the memo?

Activists for social change are only allowed to live in run down housing and are not allowed to make more than a decent living. Didn’t you get the memo?

I did not. Must have gotten lost in the same place my Soros check went.

Interesting way to frame the study:

20210411_105436.jpg

"Campbell’s research also indicates that these protests correlate with a 10 percent increase in murders in the areas that saw BLM protests. That means from 2014 to 2019, there were somewhere between 1,000 and 6,000 more homicides than would have been expected..."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom