Over 93% of BLM demonstrations are non-violent (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

First Time Poster

Reaction score
    So, rather than burying this subject in an already broad thread I felt this topic, and the study it is based on, deserved its own thread. A debate about whether the protests have been mostly violent or not has been had multiple times in multiple threads so when I saw this analysis it piqued my interest.

A few key points: It characterizes the BLM movement as "an overwhelmingly peaceful movement." Most of the violent demonstrations were surrounding Confederate monuments. To this mostly non-violent movement, the government has responded violently, and disproportionately so, to BLM than other demonstrations, including a militarized federal response. The media has, also, been targeted by this violent government response. There is a high rate of non-state actor involvement in BLM demonstrations. Lastly, there is a rising number of counter-protest that turn violent. I shouldn't say lastly because there is, also, a lot of data relating to Covid too.

The Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED) begin tracking BLM demonstrations since this summer, the week of George Floyd's killing. I am linking the entire study for all to read. I am highlighting excerpts I personally found interesting.

The vast majority of demonstration events associated with the BLM movement are non-violent (see map below). In more than 93% of all demonstrations connected to the movement, demonstrators have not engaged in violence or destructive activity. Peaceful protests are reported in over 2,400 distinct locations around the country. Violent demonstrations, meanwhile, have been limited to fewer than 220 locations — under 10% of the areas that experienced peaceful protests. In many urban areas like Portland, Oregon, for example, which has seen sustained unrest since Floyd’s killing, violent demonstrations are largely confined to specific blocks, rather than dispersed throughout the city (CNN, 1 September 2020).

Yet, despite data indicating that demonstrations associated with the BLM movement are overwhelmingly peaceful, one recent poll suggested that 42% of respondents believe “most protesters [associated with the BLM movement] are trying to incite violence or destroy property” (FiveThirtyEight, 5 June 2020). This is in line with the Civiqs tracking poll which finds that “net approval for the Black Lives Matter movement peaked back on June 3 [the week following the killing of George Floyd when riots first began to be reported] and has fallen sharply since” (USA Today, 31 August 2020; Civiqs, 29 August 2020).

Research from the University of Washington indicates that this disparity stems from political orientation and biased media framing (Washington Post, 24 August 2020), such as disproportionate coverage of violent demonstrations (Business Insider, 11 June 2020; Poynter, 25 June 2020). Groups like the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) have documented organized disinformation campaigns aimed at spreading a “deliberate mischaracterization of groups or movements [involved in the protests], such as portraying activists who support Black Lives Matter as violent extremists or claiming that antifa is a terrorist organization coordinated or manipulated by nebulous external forces” (ADL, 2020). These disinformation campaigns may be contributing to the decline in public support for the BLM movement after the initial increase following Floyd’s killing, especially amongst the white population (USA Today, 31 August 2020; Civiqs, 30 August 2020a, 30 August 2020b). This waning support also comes as the Trump administration recently shifted its “law and order” messaging to target local Democratic Party politicians from urban areas, particularly on the campaign trail (NPR, 27 August 2020).

Despite the fact that demonstrations associated with the BLM movement have been overwhelmingly peaceful, more than 9% — or nearly one in 10 — have been met with government intervention, compared to 3% of all other demonstrations. This also marks a general increase in intervention rates relative to this time last year. In July 2019, authorities intervened in under 2% of all demonstrations — fewer than 30 events — relative to July 2020, when they intervened in 9% of all demonstrations — or over 170 events.

Authorities have used force — such as firing less-lethal weapons like tear gas, rubber bullets, and pepper spray or beating demonstrators with batons — in over 54% of the demonstrations in which they have engaged. This too is a significant increase relative to one year ago. In July 2019, government personnel used force in just three documented demonstrations, compared to July 2020, when they used force against demonstrators in at least 65 events. Over 5% of all events linked to the BLM movement have been met with force by authorities, compared to under 1% of all other demonstrations.

Non-state groups are becoming more active and assertive. Since May, ACLED records over 100 events in which non-state actors engaged in demonstrations (including counter-demonstrations) — the vast majority of which were in response to demonstrations associated with the BLM movement. These non-state actors include groups and militias from both the left and right side of the political spectrum, such as Antifa, the Not forking Around Coalition, the New Mexico Civil Guard, the Patriot Front, the Proud Boys, the Boogaloo Bois, and the Ku Klux Klan, among others (see map below).3

Between 24 May and 22 August, over 360 counter-protests were recorded around the country, accounting for nearly 5% of all demonstrations. Of these, 43 — nearly 12% — turned violent, with clashes between pro-police demonstrators and demonstrators associated with the BLM movement, for example. In July alone, ACLED records over 160 counter-protests, or more than 8% of all demonstrations. Of these, 18 turned violent. This is a significant increase relative to July 2019, when only 17 counter-protests were reported around the country, or approximately 1% of all demonstrations, and only one of these allegedly turned violent.

I would argue that the good faith dialogue is as much for the rest of us as it is for the person you're responding to. I try to have good faith conversations with people until it's obvious who I'm talking with doesn't. At that point, I usually just end the discussion and move on. Basically, some people are on my mental ignore list. Heh.
    as a straight academic exeercise i agree with you
    otoh, i am almost certain that these types of arguments/discuss are done for the sole intent of retarding the conversation
    it's like having a discussion about solutions for global climate change and someone keeps throwing flat earth arguments into the conversation
    it's not even that the person actually believes in a flat earth, they just recognize it was a way to gum up purposeful discussion

That could be true. Probably only Farb knows for sure if he is arguing in good faith or just trying to obstruct discussion.

That could be true. Probably only Farb knows for sure if he is arguing in good faith or just trying to obstruct discussion.
    If someone is arguing in good faith, the moment someone else points out the fallacy in their argument or the lack of compelling information to support their position, that person generally acknowledges the error and moves on. There has been a concerted effort for some to double-down on their original premise or completely ignore the information being provided to them that is contrary to their premise. There is no good faith with those people.

I feel like I was left out of a slumber party and got the mean girl treatment. @GMRfellowtraveller you can call me out, you don't have to use 'a poster'. I am a grown up, I don't have thin skin. I would also recommend maybe discussing a 'poster' on your board so as not to level personal claims under a code name of 'a poster'. That is just my opinion.

So far we have established that I dislike BLM. True. I think it is a vile organization. I have not disguised that fact all. If they were not, they would not be constantly changing what they stand for once it is comes out they receive blow back.

The main issue I see with some is that I label the protesters in the video, that are holding BLM flags, BLM signs and changing the BLM dogma chants, as BLM protesters. They are labeling themselves as BLM but for some reason, it is now my duty to prove to you that are BLM? Is that a good faith argument? It is not. It is playing going fetch.

A little whataboutism: Did we all assume those protesters at the capital field trip where Trump or even better yet Q supporters? Yes, we did and still do. Proof? Flags and actions.....

So, until someone proves to me that they are not BLM protestors, I will continue to call them as such because they obviously want to be called that.

I know that it sucks when people on your political side act like racist idiots and you search for excuses. I too have had that happen so I get it.

I feel like I was left out of a slumber party and got the mean girl treatment. @GMRfellowtraveller you can call me out, you don't have to use 'a poster'. I am a grown up, I don't have thin skin. I would also recommend maybe discussing a 'poster' on your board so as not to level personal claims under a code name of 'a poster'. That is just my opinion.

So far we have established that I dislike BLM. True. I think it is a vile organization. I have not disguised that fact all. If they were not, they would not be constantly changing what they stand for once it is comes out they receive blow back.

The main issue I see with some is that I label the protesters in the video, that are holding BLM flags, BLM signs and changing the BLM dogma chants, as BLM protesters. They are labeling themselves as BLM but for some reason, it is now my duty to prove to you that are BLM? Is that a good faith argument? It is not. It is playing going fetch.

A little whataboutism: Did we all assume those protesters at the capital field trip where Trump or even better yet Q supporters? Yes, we did and still do. Proof? Flags and actions.....

So, until someone proves to me that they are not BLM protestors, I will continue to call them as such because they obviously want to be called that.

I know that it sucks when people on your political side act like racist idiots and you search for excuses. I too have had that happen so I get it.
    I used ‘a poster’ bc you are not the only one the discussion applies to

And your knowledge of BLM seems no better than your understanding of structural racism
    We know you’re using bogeymen, we’re also just pointing out that you aren’t using them very effectively at all

I've seen BLM used interchangeably between the main organization, affiliated organizations and unaffiliated protestors who happen to be espousing the belief that black lives matter. It seems to be a bit of hairsplitting to spend a lot of time whether this person is actually part of the BLM organization, or someone who is just trying to convince others that black lives matter.
    I agree with the rest of your post, but this part not so much.

I think it's an important distinction if the group was actually a BLM group or not. I think the right-wing media wants to label it as such so as to besmirch BLM at every opportunity and thus why they just quickly labeled it a BLM group and a BLM protest. That way they blame the whole organization for the actions of a few protestors -- the same as saying "BLM is a terrorist organization who just loots and burns down cities" the way the right-wing ideologues always refer to them. It's similar as if some people were rude and chanted "WhoDat Bitches" to people entering a convention center and having that labeled as "the New Orleans Saints organized a protest to harass and scream at convention goers."

Which of them labeled themselves as BLM?
    I would say the dude holding and waving the BLM flag, the ladies wearing the BLM-say their name shirt, the crowd chanting the BLM rhetoric and the lady with the bullhorn when asked by a mother if they are BLM and she says 'yes' and then has the mother agrees that in fact, black lives matter, and she replies to 'tell your kids so your kids are not someone my kids will have beat up". Then when the mother comes out to discuss, they are yelling "black lives matter" in her face through a bullhorn. Not sure what else you would need. Do they BLM membership cards?

Honest question, what do you require as proof that these people were supporters of BLM?

My guess is there will be no proof and you will never admit it.

Somehow, I don't think group affiliation meant this much to you during the protest at the capital. Sorry you saw the hate from your team. If you didn't, please open this link and watch the whole the whole 23 min video.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/blm-...r-white-privilege-organizer-stands-by-actions

I would say the dude holding and waving the BLM flag, the ladies wearing the BLM-say their name shirt, the crowd chanting the BLM rhetoric and the lady with the bullhorn when asked by a mother if they are BLM and she says 'yes' and then has the mother agrees that in fact, black lives matter, and she replies to 'tell your kids so your kids are not someone my kids will have beat up". Then when the mother comes out to discuss, they are yelling "black lives matter" in her face through a bullhorn. Not sure what else you would need. Do they BLM membership cards?

Honest question, what do you require as proof that these people were supporters of BLM?

Somehow, I don't think group affiliation meant this much to you during the protest at the capital. Sorry you saw the hate from your team. If you didn't, please open this link and watch the whole the whole 23 min video.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/blm-...r-white-privilege-organizer-stands-by-actions
    “Entitled Elitists Parade through peaceful remembrance on their way to Ritual of Feminist Mockery:
    ‘Confirming what we already knew, all cheerleaders everywhere hate black people and women’”

It’s a fun game, I can see why y’all do it

I watched the video. I didn't see anyone ask if they were BLM. Maybe I missed it.

All the rest of that stuff -- waving a BLM flag or wearing a BLM shirt doesn't mean one is a part of a BLM organized protest. I mean, if just chanting a slogan means one is a part of the organized event, then there were thousands more people who should be charged with insurrection on Jan 6th.

The organizer of the event wasn't part of BLM leadership and has actually been involved in and organized several Breanna Taylor demonstrations in Louisville in particular. Their original plan wasn't even to be where they ended up, and most of the people had Breonna Taylor related signs and pamphlets and shirts (the main one with the microphone holds a Breonna Taylor sign, there is another sign "Say Her Name Breonna Taylor", another "Fire the Cops Who Killed Breonna Taylor," "Protect Black Women," they chant "LMPD (meaning Louisville Metro PD) do your job!", "No Justice No Peace", "Prosecute the Police," "fork the POlice ACAB," "Say Her Name (Breonna Taylor)," "Arrest Convict Send those Killer Cops to Jail, the Whole Damn System is Guilty as Hell," "You can't stop the revolution LMPD is not the solution," wearing shirts like "All Rise for Justice" and many, many masks that read "Breonna Taylor") yet this will be called a BLM protest? :idunno:

The lady in Pink does NOT ask if they are with BLM. The lady with the bullhorn says "you cannot come through this door without me being on your arse." The lady in pink says "but we're with you, I agree Black Lives Matter" bullhorn lady: "That's right, that's right" Pink: "I agree black lives matter I agree" BH: "Yes ma'am, yes ma'am. And we appreciate you. Tell your kids that. Make sure your kids are not somebody my kids are gonna have to beat up."

Was Megaphone Lady rude as hell? Yes. Is she more likely to put off people to her message than have people hear her? IMO, yes indeed. And IMO that's wrong to do if you hurt your own message. I'm sure Bullhorn Lady doesn't care if she's not helping her cause at all.

Can they be supporters of BLM? Yep. They probably are. They probably also support a lot of other things. I'm not denying they are supporters of BLM. I just think it's by specific design they are being called BLM protestors instead of Breonna Taylor protestors, or LMPD Protestors which is FAR more in line with their message and their protest.

Supporters of BLM =/= BLM. :shrug:

Saints fans =/= Saints

Supporters of Amazon =/= Amazon employees

To piggyback on this, if you don't mind:

The actions of a small group of Saints fans do not reflect the positions of team management.

People who use Amazon's services do not represent Amazon's board of directors.

Protesters that support the BLM movement do not speak for the organization.

I don't make the rules of reality, I just live them. If they they are presenting all the BLM regalia, they are BLM protestors. That is what they are wanting to present so I am polite enough to address them as they so clearly want to be labeled.

Just like when we see a bunch of people wearing Trump flags/shirts and carrying Trump flags you all did assume they were all Trump supporters. And correctly more than likely.

I am sure they might have a job somewhere. If one of them works at WalMart, I wouldn't say 'racist WalMart activitist harassed children." Now if they were wearing the Walmart smocks and using Walmart shopping carts and holding Walmart flags and signs, I might.

When BLM releases a statement condemning this racist act, I might change my mind. Clearly, by the reaction, you all see this as a racist and vile act that is why there is such a push to keep BLM separate from this. But just because some of you so desperately want to distance BLM from this racist and vile incident doesn't make it a reality.

To piggyback on this, if you don't mind:

The actions of a small group of Saints fans do not reflect the positions of team management.

People who use Amazon's services do not represent Amazon's board of directors.

Protesters that support the BLM movement do not speak for the organization.

Or in other terms - it’s like saying the insurrectionists represent the entire Republican/Trump base

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom