on the other side of the spectrum, some history was made (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

zztop

Reaction score
    It is nice to see SOME inclusion of all walks of life, gives me (a small bit) of hope. Honestly it has been very difficult since 2016, to feel like I "belong" in a country that half-aligns itself with trump and what he spews.
    I pulled this from various headlines etc (there could be others out that I didn't come across):

Mauree Turner Wins, Will Be First Muslim Lawmaker In Oklahoma
    Turner, a 27-year-old Black, queer, progressive newcomer, just made history in Oklahoma.
    ---

Ritchie Torres has won his House race for New York’s 15th Congressional District, making him the first gay Afro Latino person elected to Congress. Torres could be joined by Mondaire Jones, who's currently ahead in his race for New York's 17th Congressional District, as the first gay Black members of Congress.
    ---

Taylor Small wins House seat to become first openly transgender member of Vermont Legislature
    ---

Kansas makes history, elects retired Wichita teacher as its first transgender legislator
    ---

Sarah McBride has won her Delaware state Senate race, poising her to become the first and only openly transgender state senator in the U.S. and the country's highest-ranking transgender official.

heres a few more I found:

New Mexico
    The state made history by electing its first House delegation comprising entirely of women of color. Deb Haaland, one of the first Native American woman in Congress, was re-elected for her second term. Yvette Herell, a member of the Cherokee Nation, won her race for New Mexico’s 2nd Congressional District and Teresa Leger Fernandez won her race for the 3rd. Leger Fernandez is the first woman to hold her seat since its creation in 1983.

---
    Florida
    With the victories of Michele Raynor-Goolsby and Shevrin Jones, Florida has elected its first openly queer Black woman as a state legislator and its first openly LGBTQ+ state senator, respectively.

---
    Georgia
    Kim Jackson will become the first openly LGBTQ+ state senator in Georgia history after defeating her Republican opponent.

---
    Missouri
    Cori Bush’s victory in her race for Missouri’s 1st Congressional District makes her the first Black woman to be elected to Congress from Missouri. A registered nurse and ordained pastor, Bush is also a prominent activist who protested the police killing of Michael Brown in Ferguson in 2014. She previously ran for the House of Representatives in 2018 and for a Senate seat in 2016

---
    Pennsylvania
    Nikil Saval became the first Asian-American elected into the Pennsylvania State Senate.

---
    Tennessee
    Torrey Harris and Eddie Mannis’ victories in their respective state House races make them the first openly LGBTQ officials ever elected to Tennessee state legislature.

Also came across this.
    Last week, the first out LGBTQ woman was elected to the Pennsylvania state legislature as Jessica Benham (D-South Side) won state House District 36. She is also now one of only a few openly autistic elected officials in America, and likely the first in Pennsylvania history.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom