Non-Political Not political but Amazing video footage from Mars with sound (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

It’s amazing how much Mars looks like a desert on Earth. I wonder if it ever held oceans, or even life itself.

is it fake or is it just old?
    I'd call it sort of both. The images are real images of Mars, but it wasn't originally video, it's a video created from a panoramic image from Curiosity. Not sure where the audio comes from, because we haven't had real audio from Mars yet. Snopes speculates it might be from NASA's InSight Lander, which recorded with a seismometer.

Perservence does have two microphones, but we don't have any audio from it yet.

These days NASA is very forward on its social media and dissemination of media from these missions. The first thing I did when I saw this video circulating was check the Twitter feed for the Perseverance mission (https://twitter.com/NASAPersevere) and there was nothing like this video posted, so it seemed clearly faked (or old or both).

One way you know this is from Curiosity is the tread on the tire.

1614001529272.png

Yeah, I’m sorry. I found out last night that it was old footage. It will be weeks till we get video that has audio.
    Should I delete or let it stand as a lesson in trusting the internet.

Real sounds from Mars:

(Should add, if you click on the SoundCloud link, it automatically goes onto another track which is a bit startling. Sadly, there is no Electronica on Mars that we know of).

That's a cool movie set! :)

Mars will be a much quieter planet! I had heard that because the planet's atmosphere is about 1/3rd of earth's, it would lower the octave on all sounds so we could all sound James Earl Jones!

That's a cool movie set! :)

Mars will be a much quieter planet! I had heard that because the planet's atmosphere is about 1/3rd of earth's, it would lower the octave on all sounds so we could all sound James Earl Jones!
    They've actually got a link on that second tweet that goes here: https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/participate/sounds/ (might take a while to load right now).

Earth sounds, and a simulated version of what they'd sound like on Mars. Apparently it's not so much that sounds are lowered, as that higher pitched sounds are absorbed by the CO2 atmosphere. But you can also record yourself to hear how you'd sound. I haven't tried it (it's 10PM here, no-one needs to hear me shouting "I AM YOUR FATHER, ON MARS").

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom